Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

How to Use the Global Entry Kiosk From a Wheelchair

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:54 am
Original Poster

My spouse and I just received our Global Entry cards and are flying to Mexico in a few weeks. I am in a wheelchair and was wondering if anyone knows how the facial recognition works? I can't stand up and all of the pictures I've seen of the kiosks it appears that you need to be standing to use it? We will be coming back through Denver if that makes a difference.

It never crossed our minds to ask at the interview and I am hoping someone here might know how to manage.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Figgie
It never crossed our minds to ask at the interview and I am hoping someone here might know how to manage.
Stupid question: I presume you were in the wheelchair for the interview? I ask only because I would "think" the GE interview agent would have said something to you if there was a issue specific to wheelchair users. But, then again, maybe not even if there was (agent might not even be aware if there are any issues). I googled and can't find anything, most replies deal with getting GE basically for TSA Pre/security screening purposes. I'm guessing that it must work ok in some way, as GE users are surely of wildly varying heights and the system is hopefully designed to account for that. I'm of about average human being height at 5'7 so I can't say that for sure though.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
How does the machine respond if it can't read a fingerprint? I would guess it would be similar.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Stupid question: I presume you were in the wheelchair for the interview? I ask only because I would "think" the GE interview agent would have said something to you if there was a issue specific to wheelchair users. But, then again, maybe not even if there was (agent might not even be aware if there are any issues). I googled and can't find anything, most replies deal with getting GE basically for TSA Pre/security screening purposes. I'm guessing that it must work ok in some way, as GE users are surely of wildly varying heights and the system is hopefully designed to account for that. I'm of about average human being height at 5'7 so I can't say that for sure though.
I was definitely in a wheelchair when we were interviewed. Since they took our pictures while we were sitting, I forgot to ask. Since I am always last off the plane, we were hoping that getting Global Entry would help us get through customs more quickly.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Figgie
My spouse and I just received our Global Entry cards and are flying to Mexico in a few weeks. I am in a wheelchair and was wondering if anyone knows how the facial recognition works? I can't stand up and all of the pictures I've seen of the kiosks it appears that you need to be standing to use it? We will be coming back through Denver if that makes a difference.

GE does not depend upon facial recognition, only fingerprints. The photo doesn't really work well - if a person is maybe 5'6"-5'10" it is ok, but either shorter or taller and the photo printed on the GE receipt doesn't show the face.

I wouldn't think a wheelchair user would have any trouble at all (though I admit I've never seen a wheelchair user use a GE kiosk).

Since you say you expect to be the last off the plane, even if everything fails and you get an X on the GE receipt, you'll still be out of customs long before the folks in the general lines. GE will be a big help.

Last edited by mnbp; Feb 22, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:04 pm

My son is short enough that the camera can't see his head and it always just works anyway.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the reassurance! It will be interesting to see how it all works out. . I just hope that I can get close enough to the kiosk to get my fingerprints to work.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've seen a wheelchair user use the GE kiosks before and they didn't seem to have any issues. As mentioned above, the machine doesn't even use facial recognition.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA MM
As others have said, the only bio-identification is through fingerprints. I think the photo is simply to help insure that the "receipt" the kiosk issues can only be used by the person it was issued to when making final exit after baggage claim.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
As others have said, the only bio-identification is through fingerprints. I think the photo is simply to help insure that the "receipt" the kiosk issues can only be used by the person it was issued to when making final exit after baggage claim.
I'm pretty sure it is the same, just not sure if the distance from the camera that may be caused by the wheelchair could pose an issue. Then again, probable worst case there is that the customs agent just asks a few questions.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:41 am

Shouldn't really be an issue. I suppose a cranky CBP officer could ask to see your passport to verify its photo matches you but even that's unlikely.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:19 pm

I'm 6'1, and no one seems to mind much that my picture cuts off at the top right around my eyes usually. They know the camera isn't set up well for varying heights.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
First time through the Kiosk for myself and my wife, she being only 5'0" and me forgetting to look at the camera resulted in pictures of her eyebrows up and the top of my head. The CBP officer, after appropriately laughing at us for a second, just asked to see our passports and we were on our way 10 seconds later.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
That's correct.

And OP, you probably know all the wheelchair tricks better than we, but I would think you could turn sideways to the machine so that you can get your arm/hand closer to the screen. Maybe look for one at the end of the row. For the picture you can turn your head.

(And like others I have a child who was luck to get the top of her ponytail in the picture)
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:22 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

wheelchairs shouldn't be an issue, as discussed. The pic is only to visually identify you to the slip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.