Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry / NEXUS Citizenship Update Procedure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry / NEXUS Citizenship Update Procedure

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Quarantine
I was having issues like most people on this thread. I was a green card holder and became a US citizen, and had went to a Global Entry center to add my US passport information, but I still didn't get TSA Pre-Check on my international trips.

After reading through this thread, I realized that my TTP profile still says that I'm a citizen of another country but there's no information that I'm a US citizen. Yesterday, I was arriving back from a trip at JFK and went to the Global Entry office there. I explained my situation to the officer and she updated my profile to state that I'm a US citizen.

Now, when I look at my TTP profile under Membership Information, under 2 - Documents, there are two things:

1. "You've entered 1 document proving you're a citizen of XYZ (my former country)". Under Your Citizenship, it says my former country's name.
2. "You've entered 1 document proving you're a citizen of UNITED STATES". Under Your Citizenship, it says United States with a gold flag next to it.

However, there is no section that says "1 document proving you may enter the United States" like what Majuki had mentioned. Do I need to have that "1 document proving you may enter the United States" piece on my TTP profile as well in order to have TSA Pre-Check working for me again? There's also no green card info listed in the Documents section.
Did you use any document at the GE kiosk? My understanding is that JFK is one of the new Global Entry 2.0 setups where the machine will compare your photo on file and just spit out the receipt, so perhaps you don't need the kiosk to recognize an entry document. I would return to the enrollment office to get them to add an entry document since only select airports have Global Entry 2.0.

The Precheck issue is unrelated. You should receive Precheck on a participating airline regardless of your citizenship status if you are a member of a trusted traveler program and have your Known Traveler Number placed on the reservation. Make sure that the KTN, birth date, and name on your Trusted Traveler Program dashboard match the Secure Flight data on your reservation verbatim. Did the airline you flew participate in TSA Precheck? If so, was your KTN entered on the reservation? If so, did your Secure Flight data for the reservation match what's listed on the TTP dashboard exactly? Any discrepancy can potentially cause a hiccup which may affect your ability to consistently get Precheck.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Originally Posted by Majuki
Did you use any document at the GE kiosk? My understanding is that JFK is one of the new Global Entry 2.0 setups where the machine will compare your photo on file and just spit out the receipt, so perhaps you don't need the kiosk to recognize an entry document. I would return to the enrollment office to get them to add an entry document since only select airports have Global Entry 2.0.

The Precheck issue is unrelated. You should receive Precheck on a participating airline regardless of your citizenship status if you are a member of a trusted traveler program and have your Known Traveler Number placed on the reservation. Make sure that the KTN, birth date, and name on your Trusted Traveler Program dashboard match the Secure Flight data on your reservation verbatim. Did the airline you flew participate in TSA Precheck? If so, was your KTN entered on the reservation? If so, did your Secure Flight data for the reservation match what's listed on the TTP dashboard exactly? Any discrepancy can potentially cause a hiccup which may affect your ability to consistently get Precheck.
Thanks a bunch! I didn't end up using the GE kiosk yesterday as surprisingly there was no one at the lines, so it was quicker to go to the counters. Interesting to hear about Global Entry 2.0. I wonder if I can send a message through https://help.cbp.gov/app/forms/complaint for them to update it for me since going back to the enrollment office again would mean that I'm doing it for the third time. I'll give that a shot first!

With regards to TSA Precheck, I've always added my KTN to my flights. On my most recent trip with QR, I actually double checked to make sure that my KTN is on the reservation. For my future flights, I'll make sure that my KTN, birth date, and name on my TTP dashboard match my reservation, so thanks for that reminder!

For instance, this year, my SFO-PPT flight on United was without Precheck, and my JFK-DOH and DOH-JFK flight with QR didn't have Precheck.

However, my JFK-SFO with JetBlue flight had Precheck, while my LAX-JFK flight on AA also had Precheck.

Based on these limited data points, it seems to me that it's only when I'm traveling internationally (which requires me to use my US passport) that I don't have Precheck. Which was why I initially thought it might be an issue with Global Entry and my TTP profile. I didn't have these Precheck issues prior to becoming a US citizen when I was using my other passport.

What I was also wondering was, my middle name consists of two words with a space in the middle, and I've seen UA printing my boarding pass that merges my first name and middle name into a single word without any space. Would what's printed on the boarding pass matter, or what's on the backend (the Secure Flight data)?

Edit: Interestingly enough, I’ve gotten SSSS twice, and both times it happened at AMS and DOH on the way back to the US. I wonder if it’s related to my lack of Precheck.

Last edited by Quarantine; Sep 25, 2019 at 4:03 pm
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:11 pm

What I was also wondering was, my middle name consists of two words with a space in the middle, and I've seen UA printing my boarding pass that merges my first name and middle name into a single word without any space. Would what's printed on the boarding pass matter, or what's on the backend (the Secure Flight data)?
Unfortunately the only way to add a document outside of an initial application or renewal is via an enrollment center. When Mrs. Majuki became a US citizen, I did my homework to see if there was a way other than going to an enrollment center. There wasn't.

The information in the Secure Flight fields compares to what's on file for Global Entry. Is there is not an EXACT match, the system will kick it out and you won't get Precheck (other than if you're part of managed inclusion, ie random Precheck). Your data points don't really lend themselves to meaningful conclusions because they're across different airlines. It is also possible that the system had been kicking out your name but you were more likely to get random Precheck on a domestic versus international flight.

You need to double, triple, and quadruple check that the Secure Flight fields match your trusted traveler profile. For instance, the name in my profile is First Middle Last. I've had some travel agents pass along FirstMiddle <null> Last in the Secure Flight information, meaning the system was looking for someone with a first name of FirstMiddle, no middle name, and a last name of Last. The ticketing agent was able to fix the data, check me in again, and this restored Precheck. Make certain that your middle name with the space is in the middle name of the Secure Flight data if this is how it is represented on your TTP profile.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Unfortunately the only way to add a document outside of an initial application or renewal is via an enrollment center. When Mrs. Majuki became a US citizen, I did my homework to see if there was a way other than going to an enrollment center. There wasn't.

The information in the Secure Flight fields compares to what's on file for Global Entry. Is there is not an EXACT match, the system will kick it out and you won't get Precheck (other than if you're part of managed inclusion, ie random Precheck). Your data points don't really lend themselves to meaningful conclusions because they're across different airlines. It is also possible that the system had been kicking out your name but you were more likely to get random Precheck on a domestic versus international flight.

You need to double, triple, and quadruple check that the Secure Flight fields match your trusted traveler profile. For instance, the name in my profile is First Middle Last. I've had some travel agents pass along FirstMiddle <null> Last in the Secure Flight information, meaning the system was looking for someone with a first name of FirstMiddle, no middle name, and a last name of Last. The ticketing agent was able to fix the data, check me in again, and this restored Precheck. Make certain that your middle name with the space is in the middle name of the Secure Flight data if this is how it is represented on your TTP profile.
Ahh I see I'll probably make another trip to the enrollment center when I inevitably have a flight to/from JFK.

I'll definitely quadruple check that the Secure Flight fields match my Trusted Traveler Profile. I'm assuming that, for instance, if I were to book a flight on American Airlines, the name I have on my profile gets transmitted / transferred into the Secure Flight fields - is that right? Would I then have to ring up the airline to find out how my name is spelled in the Secure Flight fields, or is there an easy way to verify this online?

In my previous example, my profile on United has my middle name spelled correctly with two words and a space in the middle, but when the boarding pass was printed, the first name and middle name was merged into a single word. The UA agent at the airport said that that's how their system prints the names (??).

Edit: Ah damn. I just checked my TTP, and the US passport that was previously entered for me (when I went to the enrollment center a few days ago) has a missing middle name. The agent combined my first name and last name into the First Name field.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:57 pm

I just checked my TTP, and the US passport that was previously entered for me (when I went to the enrollment center a few days ago) has a missing middle name. The agent combined my first name and last name into the First Name field.
Get that corrected or else the GE kiosk may not recognize you (unless it's GE 2.0 where a passport isn't needed). Unfortunately there's no way to update the move from LPR to US citizen without help from an enrollment center and making sure the enrollment center processes the change correctly.

The questions about Secure Flight data representation and not receiving Precheck have likely already been addressed on the thread in this forum or in numerous threads in the respective airline forums. At least with AA, one has the ability to check Secure Flight information on a reservation by going down to the Passengers section and clicking "Add / edit passenger information". I don't have any active reservations with United to check directly. I know Alaska Airlines hides this information after it has been entered.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
I found this thread very useful in preparing for my upcoming visit to switch from my Green Card to US passport - thanks to all who posted in here.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any experience of making the switch in NYC at the Bowling Green Global Entry enrollment center, as opposed to JFK T4?

I recognize Bowling Green is a Global Entry enrollment center as is JFK, but given that Bowling Green seems so strict around walk-ins I was curious if anyone had been able to do it there (knowing, of course, that amending registration to a US passport isn't even something that there is an option to make an appointment for). Thank you.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by s215
I recognize Bowling Green is a Global Entry enrollment center as is JFK, but given that Bowling Green seems so strict around walk-ins I was curious if anyone had been able to do it there (knowing, of course, that amending registration to a US passport isn't even something that there is an option to make an appointment for). Thank you.
I can't speak for this location, but when Mrs. Majuki made the change we did a walk-in at SFO without having to wait. This was back where people would end up waiting hours for a walk-in appointment.
s215 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just wanted to provide an information update for fellow New Yorkers in particular; based on further research the Bowling Green location apparently does not accept walk-ins for changing passport details/LPR to citizen type changes. Am not totally surprised as it is a somewhat particular office based on what I have read. Maybe one could try one's luck there but it seems unlikely.

Accordingly I went to JFK T4 to get this done. There is no reception desk at this GE Enrollment Center, just a sheet of paper where you sign-in. There were tons of people with appointments waiting, some almost an hour past their appointment time. After waiting a few minutes, I had to ask one of the CBP officers when he came out into the waiting area directly, and thankfully he was kind enough to take my passport and GE card and make the change from LPR to citizen in about 3 minutes.

I signed on to the TTP website tonight and saw that my GC was duly removed, and there is a gold flag next to my American passport so hopefully all will go well next time I come through.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by s215
I signed on to the TTP website tonight and saw that my GC was duly removed, and there is a gold flag next to my American passport so hopefully all will go well next time I come through.
It looks like you're good to go. Let us know during the next entry.
s215 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:16 pm

Hi all,

Recently becoming a U.S. Citizen and went to update global entry at the GE office. When i checked online, i saw the Citizenship has United States (has the gold flag) and under “proving you can enter United States” section, i see both U.S. Passport and the unexpired green card. The agent told me that he cannot delete it even though i don’t have the green card anymore and I am all set to use Global Entry with my U.S. Passport. Should I be concerned?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by atlert
Hi all,

Recently becoming a U.S. Citizen and went to update global entry at the GE office. When i checked online, i saw the Citizenship has United States (has the gold flag) and under “proving you can enter United States” section, i see both U.S. Passport and the unexpired green card. The agent told me that he cannot delete it even though i don’t have the green card anymore and I am all set to use Global Entry with my U.S. Passport. Should I be concerned?
It is possible to remove the green card from the system. Typically many of us only have one document proving we can enter the US. You can try again to get it removed or try it and provide a data point.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:22 pm

It is possible to remove the green card from the system. Typically many of us only have one document proving we can enter the US. You can try again to get it removed or try it and provide a data point.
The agent was adamant that there will not be issue, in fact he said he is doing that every day... anyway I guess I should go back to get it removed. Really wish there is a way for me to check real time.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:17 am

Global Entry - Updating Passport Information after becoming a US Citizen

My husband recently became a US citizen and just got his US passport yesterday. Does he need to re-apply for Global Entry or can he log on to the GE site to update the passport information? Thanks!

Actually, does he need to make an appointment to go to the center to update his citizenship information and passport? Or can he just show up to the center?

UPDATE: hubby was able to walk in at the center in Long Beach, no appointed needed. Brought his US passport and GE card. Finished updating in less than 10 minutes! Whoohoo!

Last edited by NRamos0330; Nov 11, 2019 at 4:28 pm Reason: more info
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:22 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

Hello @NRamos0330,

I merged your question into the relevant thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
NRamos0330 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:05 am

Super helpful thread

Thread very helpful to solve my issue. Thank you!
TWA884 and owous like this.

Last edited by envol; Jun 22, 2022 at 7:02 am Reason: Some information is obsolete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.