Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Application Employment, School & Residence History Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

I'm taking the leap and applying for Global Entry, but I ran into some newbie issues with the application. If anyone here has encountered the same before, I'd appreciate some opinions on how to handle it.

1) I'm currently a student, and my legal residence (where I pay taxes, have my DL, etc.) is in another state. I was planning on entering my permanent home address as the "current address," and putting the school address as the mailing address. Has anyone done this before and been approved?

2) I worked at a company that was bought out by another one, and so that particular previous employer no longer exists. What should I do about the phone number and address for that employer?

3) I visited Sint Maarten a few years ago, when it was still part of the Netherlands Antilles. I'm assuming that I should put "Netherlands" on the travel history, but that sounds really weird to me. Is that the correct way to do it? Note that "Netherlands Antilles" is not an option (and besides which, it doesn't exist anymore anyways).

Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:36 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by dyst0pia
I'm taking the leap and applying for Global Entry, but I ran into some newbie issues with the application. If anyone here has encountered the same before, I'd appreciate some opinions on how to handle it.

1) I'm currently a student, and my legal residence (where I pay taxes, have my DL, etc.) is in another state. I was planning on entering my permanent home address as the "current address," and putting the school address as the mailing address. Has anyone done this before and been approved?

2) I worked at a company that was bought out by another one, and so that particular previous employer no longer exists. What should I do about the phone number and address for that employer?

3) I visited Sint Maarten a few years ago, when it was still part of the Netherlands Antilles. I'm assuming that I should put "Netherlands" on the travel history, but that sounds really weird to me. Is that the correct way to do it? Note that "Netherlands Antilles" is not an option (and besides which, it doesn't exist anymore anyways).

1 I had multiple addresses when I applied and it was not a problem. That is why you interview with the officer, to explain it. Your plan sounds fine

2 Just put down the new owners. one of my employers ceased to exist for example. Just explain during the interview

3 Netherlands would work then, and you can also explain in the interview.

Good luck. GE rocks
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
FlyingHoustonian is right.

On #2, technically the employer that doesn't exist any more is the company that acquired the old company. So really, the answer to the question is that you've worked for the same company since the day you started at the acquired company. Under "employer," you may be able to write "(Old company), acquired by (New company)."

But either way, you'll be able to explain in the interview.

Good luck -- GE is fantastic.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Good for you! You won't regret it.

Yes, that should be fine. Your permanent address (where you pay taxes and so forth) remains your legal residence as long as you are a full-time student (regardless of where you are studying).

NOTE: As soon as you finish your schooling, be sure to go back into your GOES account and update it to your new mailing address. At that point, if you are starting a job and expect to be there for a while, you might consider changing your legal address as well--if you plan to change your DL and tax address and so forth. Many states require you to go through this process of getting a new DL, re-registering your car, etc., within 30 days of moving into a state and/or the termination of your full-time-student status in a state (not counting vacations and summers when you may be working full-time while remaining registered as a full-time student). (also does not apply if active duty military stationed to a post within a state)

If you happen to know the information for the new company, feel free to put it. Otherwise, I think you would be perfectly justified in putting the last information you have on file from your employment at your former employer. (IMHO, CBP can't expect former employees to keep tabs on their former employers.)

Netherlands is fine. Be sure to explain during the interview if the officer asks about your travel history.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help, everyone. Application's out, and I'm now waiting to hear back.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I had the same situation as you, and I put the name of the company, as it existed, when I worked for them. Similarly, I worked for a company that no longer exists period.

In neither case was I even asked about my employment. The company bought by another was relatively recent (w/i last 2 years).

My speculation is that it doesn't matter, but as long as you are telling the truth, you'll be fine.

Last edited by cparekh; Aug 30, 2012 at 7:57 am
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Interviewed and approved Thanks for the help, everyone. For the record:

1) Put home address as current, school address as mailing. They asked for proof of residency at my mailing address, but I brought a lease agreement with me, so that was all good.

2) Used phone number and address of the new company. Wasn't even asked about it.

3) Listed Netherlands. Didn't get asked about it.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: Delta, United, Continental, US Airways
Global Entry Application Employment & Residence History Questions

Hi, searched this thread but can't find an answer, thank you for your replies.

Does a college student need to list student assistant jobs as employment? How about summer jobs?

Does a college student need to list their school address or is permanent address which hasn't changed in 20 years be sufficient?

Thank you
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you search FT, you will find tons of examples of people who were denied GE for omitting seemingly minor facts where common sense suggested simply providing the answer.

Remember, at the end of the form, you are swearing to the truth of the facts.

This one is no different. A job is a job. An address is an address. List them.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I dunno, seems like it would come down to the paperwork involved in each case -- were you required to submit a W-4 or 1099 would probably be my test. Is "Student Assistant" a paid position? If so, likely taxes were withheld and thus one of these forms would likely have been submitted and would be visible to the folks who will be processing your application. I doubt that they'd take a dim view of people not listing babysitting gigs, on the other end of the spectrum, so balance with common sense; don't waste their time with nonsense odd jobs but definitely list anything that was "legit."
Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: Delta, United, Continental, US Airways
Smile Thank you

Thank you CCIE_Flyer for your kind reply.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Applying for Global Entry with US address or foreign tax address?

I want to apply for Global Entry, after waiting in line for over an hour while watching the empty GE line the entire time. And then waiting in line for customs for almost 30 minutes while watching the empty GE line.

I have finished the online application but ran across a dilemma. For tax and employment purposes I am resident in the Netherlands, but I maintain a home in Seattle as well. I can provide proof of both situations. I have a US driver's license with my Seattle address. I have dual citizenship.

What would be better, considering my employer has a Dutch address? Using my US address as my permanent address? Or using my Dutch residential address? I imagine it would be easier to use my US address (which I have had for over 5 years), but having a US address and foreign employer might raise too many flags? I mostly don't want to seem as though I am trying to lie or intentionally confusing, which is definitely not my intention.

Thanks for any insights!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:02 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your situation isn't that unusual, so you don't have anything to worry about or obscure-- you shouldn't raise any red flags. What exactly does the GOES form ask for?

Most important is to tell the whole story at your interview and let them decide how they want to finalize the data in their system-- and probably should bring all documents with you.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer

Thanks for any insights!
I know lots of US citizens in much the same situation who applied for GE. None of them had a problem as a result of being residents in two or more countries during overlapping periods of time. They mostly used their US residential address while also providing info that they also lived at a non-US address as well. Often that gives rise to an additional question or two or three at the "interview", but it's not a final approval show-stopper.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:35 am

Questions About Application for Global Entry as College Student

My son wants to apply for global entry. As a college student, he has lived in half a dozen places over the last 3 1/2 years. Does he just list our home address as his address?

Also, during that time he spent 5 months out of the country ( 2.5 mo as a student/2.5 months in an internship). How does he indicate that on his application?

Anything else that might trip him up on the application--it's been a while since I got mine, and I am trying to remember what he might need to know.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.