FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1804593-global-entry-nexus-tsa-precheck.html)

cbredt Jul 21, 2013 11:07 am

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Are these both separate programs? Or does one include the other?

We fly internationally a couple of times a year from LAX so they look like they would be very convenient.

Should we both apply for each one?
cb

DesertCanuck Jul 21, 2013 11:21 am

TSA PreCheck or Global Entry or Both

Having Global Entry automatically entitles you to TSA PreCheck... but not the other way around.

augustus21 Jul 21, 2013 11:24 am

I read that another program, NEXUS, provides both for a lower fee.

DesertCanuck Jul 21, 2013 11:39 am

I believe Nexus is $50 less expensive than Global, but appointments are harder to come by and it requires acceptance from both Canadian and US immigration after a retina scan. It is only done at Canadian/US border crossings which might be inconvenient for a good deal of American travelers.

Thomps000 Jul 21, 2013 11:44 am

GE is much easier to schedule the interview, also if you have an Amex Platinum, you will be reimbursed for the $100 fee for GE. GE has an interview center at LAX which would be convenient.

7Continents Jul 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by DesertCanuck (Post 21134210)
I believe Nexus is $50 less expensive than Global, but appointments are harder to come by and it requires acceptance from both Canadian and US immigration after a retina scan. It is only done at Canadian/US border crossings which might be inconvenient for a good deal of American travelers.

This.
I got all psyched at getting access to GE kiosks and pre-check and then saw the choice of interview centers. My bubble burst with a loud bang. Precheck for $85 vs GE for $100 is a no brainer.

brewdog11 Jul 21, 2013 12:59 pm

You are automatically enrolled in TSA PreCheck when you are approved for Global Entry. GE costs $100, but if you travel internationally even fairly often then it's absolutely worth it.

The fee for TSA PreCheck is $85 per their website. For just $15 more ($100 GE application fee), you can sign up for Global Entry and get PreCheck as an added benefit for free. If you really want both programs, sign up for GE and you'll get both for only $100. You do have to schedule an interview for GE, but it's not hard to do so. Go for it!

Also, if you have an AMEX Platinum card then your $100 GE sign-up fee gets reimbursed by AMEX.

tanglin Jul 21, 2013 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by DesertCanuck (Post 21134124)
Having Global Entry automatically entitles you to TSA PreCheck... but not the other way around.

Since when? I have GE but was denied PreCheck about 5 months ago...

keloutwest Jul 21, 2013 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by tanglin (Post 21134552)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertCanuck

Since when? I have GE but was denied PreCheck about 5 months ago...

Always, but your GE "trusted traveler number" found on the back of the card must be added to your itinerary or frequent flyer profile. You can't just show your GE card and get access to PreCheck.

drewguy Jul 22, 2013 7:13 am

Originally Posted by 7Continents (Post 21134439)
This.
I got all psyched at getting access to GE kiosks and pre-check and then saw the choice of interview centers. My bubble burst with a loud bang. Precheck for $85 vs GE for $100 is a no brainer.

Let's not get carried away yet - from that link:

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is announcing plans to implement a TSA Pre✓™ application process. The TSA Pre✓™ fee-based application process will allow U.S. citizens the opportunity to apply for expedited screening without a passport.

When available, the application will be a two-step process:

Fill out an online application.
Verify identity and provide fingerprints at a TSA Pre✓™ enrollment center.

Applicants may pay the anticipated $85 enrollment fee online, or at an enrollment center. There is a five-year term of eligibility, after which members will need to re-apply. TSA expects the vetting process to take approximately 2-3 weeks. A U.S. passport is not required to enroll. The first two enrollment locations, Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) and Indianapolis International Airport (IND), will open in fall 2013 with plans to expand to additional enrollment sites nationwide.
In case it's not obvious, the Pre-Check only option is not yet available, and will have a limited roll-out to start with.

Unless one doesn't have a passport, it's hard to see why the (anticipated) $15 additional fee is not worth it to have global entry as well.

rubesl Jul 22, 2013 9:28 am

Note, a retina scan is not required for Nexus. You can apply for Nexus in any border city - it includes GE and gives you pre-check. You can use Nexus at any land crossing without a retina scan. You only need the retina scan if you want to FLY into a Canadian airport and clear using Nexus, and you can only get a retina scan at a Canadian airport (or I believe there are downtown offices in Vancouver and Buffalo).

tanglin Jul 22, 2013 10:32 am

Originally Posted by keloutwest (Post 21134801)
Always, but your GE "trusted traveler number" found on the back of the card must be added to your itinerary or frequent flyer profile. You can't just show your GE card and get access to PreCheck.

Thanks, I will try that.

cheltzel Jul 22, 2013 10:59 am

Originally Posted by tanglin (Post 21138767)
Thanks, I will try that.

There are other requirements besides adding your PASSID to your profile.

We have a thread on the UA forum for PreCheck issues, questions, experiences, etc. I assume you have a similar thread or threads on the Delta forum. I would review that to make sure you get the maximum benefit from your GE membership.

tanglin Sep 1, 2013 6:02 pm

I added my number (or actually, got it corrected, as it was in my profile with a typo). Everything started to work after that!

mera May 18, 2015 6:31 pm

Applying for TSA Precheck or Global Entry having multiple addresses?

I haven't quite decided which program I'm going to apply for, but I want to apply for one of them. As I was filling out the Global Entry application, I got to thinking how I use my address. I still use my parent's address as my main address, for many reasons and with many companies and services (such as mail delivery and for filing taxes). I haven't updated my address with my work, either. However, I don't actually live there anymore, just one city over, a couple of miles away and have lived there for the past year. I haven't updated my driver license to the new address. I do have a renter's agreement and utilities in my name at the new address. Any idea that this might cause an issue with either PreCheck or Global entry? Should I list the address I currently live at, even though on something like my federal taxes I said I still lived at my parent's address? Any idea if this is going to be a sticky mess I've created, or they don't care so much? What happens with people who own two houses? Or should I go with the address that's listed on my driver's license, which is my parent's address? Besides my utilities and my internet/cable, there isn't anything I have setup that uses the address of the place I actually live in.