Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
While you may not need GE now, a lot can change in 5 years. I also expect prices to go up before they stay the same.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
All,

so if I have precheck now and would like to also purchase GE, is that another $100 on top of the $85 I already paid for precheck 2 years ago?

Work will now take me to Asia 6-8 times annually so considering GE.

thx in advance!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by A651346
All,

so if I have precheck now and would like to also purchase GE, is that another $100 on top of the $85 I already paid for precheck 2 years ago?

Work will now take me to Asia 6-8 times annually so considering GE.

thx in advance!
Yeah, I think you have to re-up - but then I assume you'll just be on a GE renewal cycle and won't have to pay any more $85's.

6-8 times a year? Yeah, no brainer, go get GE.

GE has not only saved me a huge amount of time standing in queues, it's actually helped me make connections that I wouldn't have made without it. Below-MCT connections that the airline won't sell you, so you'll need an airline status that permits you to standby, there have been trips where I've gotten home 4 hours early because I had GE and could make it from walking off my int'l flight to my domestic gate in 20-30 minutes, depending on the airport.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Often1
If you don't have a passport, you don't need GE !

GE costs $100 for 5 years, while Pre-Check costs $85 for the same time period. That is a $15 difference or $3 per year. If you take one overseas trip a year, it is costing you a $3 "premium" to have GE access.

Unless you have no projected need for international travel or have what one might nicely referred to as a checkered past which CBP, but not TSA, may find problematic, GE is a simple investment.
It's easy for us on FT to forget, but less than half of the US population holds a passport. If you don't yet have one, and don't plan to need one, then GE isn't just $15 more. It's $15, plus $145 for the passport, plus photos.

I agree, though, if you have a passport and travel internationally even occasionally, the GE is easily worth it.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by pinniped
Yeah, I think you have to re-up - but then I assume you'll just be on a GE renewal cycle and won't have to pay any more $85's.

6-8 times a year? Yeah, no brainer, go get GE.

GE has not only saved me a huge amount of time standing in queues, it's actually helped me make connections that I wouldn't have made without it. Below-MCT connections that the airline won't sell you, so you'll need an airline status that permits you to standby, there have been trips where I've gotten home 4 hours early because I had GE and could make it from walking off my int'l flight to my domestic gate in 20-30 minutes, depending on the airport.
Pre-Check and GE are separate programs. If you currently have Pre-Check and want GE, you will need to enroll in GE and pay the $100 fee. However, there is no benefit to membership in more than one program, so you may simply let your Pre-Check membership lapse.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I would assume that anybody remotely considering whether or not to get GE already has a passport (or is already certain they will be getting one). If you are not traveling internationally and do not plan to, then there is no point.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
I would assume that anybody remotely considering whether or not to get GE already has a passport (or is already certain they will be getting one). If you are not traveling internationally and do not plan to, then there is no point.
More to the point, you can't get GE without a passport. Not only a question of future travel or whether you are considering obtaining a passport, but the simple fact that GE is tied to an existing passport.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Originally Posted by swag
It's easy for us on FT to forget, but less than half of the US population holds a passport. If you don't yet have one, and don't plan to need one, then GE isn't just $15 more. It's $15, plus $145 for the passport, plus photos.

I agree, though, if you have a passport and travel internationally even occasionally, the GE is easily worth it.
I have had my GE for over 10 years and have never renewed. It worked last week. Was the old program different (or does my secretary take care of me)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Zurick
I have had my GE for over 10 years and have never renewed. It worked last week. Was the old program different (or does my secretary take care of me)

Yes, she takes care of you and surprised you haven't been called for a second interview - not many have had 2 renewals yet. The renewal interview isn't absolute, it is random, but it most definitely expires.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Yes, she takes care of you and surprised you haven't been called for a second interview - not many have had 2 renewals yet. The renewal interview isn't absolute, it is random, but it most definitely expires.
+1 I am coming up on my 2nd renewal this fall and already have the calendar reminder set to apply for the renewal.

Also I would like to jump in on how GE has saved me on entering the US with a connecting flight. Making a relatively tight connection caused by a delayed incoming flight and getting time in the lounge and sitting in your preferred seat instead of running frantically to make it to the gate before it closes or scrambling to get a replacement flight and seat makes the $100 for GE completely justifiable (at least to me).
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

I believe that one can take care of this up to one year prior to expiration and within 6 months of expiration, the time period is simply added to the renewal.

While some people are called in for re-interview, most are simply approved and receive a new card with a new date.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:19 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
I believe that one can take care of this up to one year prior to expiration and within 6 months of expiration, the time period is simply added to the renewal.

While some people are called in for re-interview, most are simply approved and receive a new card with a new date.
Even if you renew on the day after your birthday a year before it expires, the new card will have the same expiration date it would have if you waited. There are very few reasons to wait to renew, mainly things like waiting for your credit card to replenish the GE fee credit.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:11 am

TSA Pre√ or Global Entry?

I got a new credit card that offers reimbursement for application for either one (in fact, that's why I got this card - I don't really need another). As far as chances for being assigned PreCheck for a given flight, are they the same for both programs, or am I more likely to score a √ on my boarding pass having been accepted into one or the other program? I used to get Pre√ on nearly every flight I took up until about 2 years ago, now I've only scored once or twice.

Apparently the processing time for TSA Pre√ is quicker than Global Entry. Since I don't have any plans for traveling outside the US, is there any advantage to Global Entry over TSA? Or Vice Versa?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
I got a new credit card that offers reimbursement for application for either one (in fact, that's why I got this card - I don't really need another). As far as chances for being assigned PreCheck for a given flight, are they the same for both programs, or am I more likely to score a √ on my boarding pass having been accepted into one or the other program? I used to get Pre√ on nearly every flight I took up until about 2 years ago, now I've only scored once or twice.

Apparently the processing time for TSA Pre√ is quicker than Global Entry. Since I don't have any plans for traveling outside the US, is there any advantage to Global Entry over TSA? Or Vice Versa?
If you have no even remote plans to travel Internationally then I would go with TSA PreCheck. Quite frankly the only reason I initially got GE was because at the time there wasnt a TSA PreCheck office in San Antonio but there was for GE. The closest at the time was 100 miles away and the gas, $3+ per gallon then, for the round trip would have been more than the $15 difference for GE. Turns out we subsequently started traveling Internationally so much so that my wife enrolled in GE even though she had PreCheck free through being a DoD employee. In terms of is one KTN better than the other I cant say. As long as weve been flying on a participating airline we have always gotten PreCheck and have avoided the supposedly random non-select so far.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:01 pm
Suspended

If you have a US passport and there is a remote chance of international travel in the next 5 years, I would apply for GE. If you do not have a passport, you are not GE-eligible.

The chances of being deselected for Pre-Check on any given departure are not linked to the TTP of which you are a member. So long as you "harmonize" the data on your passport, your GE application, and your air carrier profiles, unless you are flagged for some odd reason or you are simply unlucky, you should see Pre-Check on all travel.

By harmonize, I mean taking the time to use exactly the same name, no extra initials, spaces or anything, so that everything is exactly the same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.