Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry or TSA PreCheck?

Global Entry or TSA PreCheck?

Old Jan 12, 19, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I believe that one can take care of this up to one year prior to expiration and within 6 months of expiration, the time period is simply added to the renewal.

While some people are called in for re-interview, most are simply approved and receive a new card with a new date.
Old Jan 13, 19, 2:19 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, {Hilton, Bonvoy} Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I believe that one can take care of this up to one year prior to expiration and within 6 months of expiration, the time period is simply added to the renewal.

While some people are called in for re-interview, most are simply approved and receive a new card with a new date.
Even if you renew on the day after your birthday a year before it expires, the new card will have the same expiration date it would have if you waited. There are very few reasons to wait to renew, mainly things like waiting for your credit card to replenish the GE fee credit.
Old Feb 15, 19, 7:11 am

TSA Pre√ or Global Entry?

I got a new credit card that offers reimbursement for application for either one (in fact, that's why I got this card - I don't really need another). As far as chances for being assigned PreCheck for a given flight, are they the same for both programs, or am I more likely to score a √ on my boarding pass having been accepted into one or the other program? I used to get Pre√ on nearly every flight I took up until about 2 years ago, now I've only scored once or twice.

Apparently the processing time for TSA Pre√ is quicker than Global Entry. Since I don't have any plans for traveling outside the US, is there any advantage to Global Entry over TSA? Or Vice Versa?
Old Feb 15, 19, 7:32 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Hello @Mike Rivers,

I merged your question into the relevant thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Feb 16, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers View Post
I got a new credit card that offers reimbursement for application for either one (in fact, that's why I got this card - I don't really need another). As far as chances for being assigned PreCheck for a given flight, are they the same for both programs, or am I more likely to score a √ on my boarding pass having been accepted into one or the other program? I used to get Pre√ on nearly every flight I took up until about 2 years ago, now I've only scored once or twice.

Apparently the processing time for TSA Pre√ is quicker than Global Entry. Since I don't have any plans for traveling outside the US, is there any advantage to Global Entry over TSA? Or Vice Versa?
If you have no even remote plans to travel Internationally then I would go with TSA PreCheck. Quite frankly the only reason I initially got GE was because at the time there wasn’t a TSA PreCheck office in San Antonio but there was for GE. The closest at the time was 100 miles away and the gas, $3+ per gallon then, for the round trip would have been more than the $15 difference for GE. Turns out we subsequently started traveling Internationally so much so that my wife enrolled in GE even though she had PreCheck free through being a DoD employee. In terms of is one KTN better than the other I can’t say. As long as we’ve been flying on a participating airline we have always gotten PreCheck and have avoided the supposedly random non-select so far.
Old Feb 16, 19, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you have a US passport and there is a remote chance of international travel in the next 5 years, I would apply for GE. If you do not have a passport, you are not GE-eligible.

The chances of being deselected for Pre-Check on any given departure are not linked to the TTP of which you are a member. So long as you "harmonize" the data on your passport, your GE application, and your air carrier profiles, unless you are flagged for some odd reason or you are simply unlucky, you should see Pre-Check on all travel.

By harmonize, I mean taking the time to use exactly the same name, no extra initials, spaces or anything, so that everything is exactly the same.
Old Feb 17, 19, 5:38 am

OK, I applied for Global Entry. I'm retired and don't have a great love for international travel, but one never knows.
Old Feb 17, 19, 9:51 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers View Post
OK, I applied for Global Entry. I'm retired and don't have a great love for international travel, but one never knows.
Exactly. For additional $15, it is well worth it.
Old Feb 17, 19, 10:33 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by 1KChinito View Post
Exactly. For additional $15, it is well worth it.
And considering he is doing it because he has a credit card that will reimburse for either one, he OP is not spending his money either way.