Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Where is the closest TSA PreCheck interview office? If it's significantly closer then that might be the answer for you.
It's around 1 1/2 hours from me at Spokane International.

Originally Posted by Often1
GE costs $15 more over 5 years. That is $3 per year and it is well worth it if you fly just one international trip. The kiosks and app do work, but they don't get you past Customs and faster and when things get crowded, GE will generally be the least crowded.

If you fly regularly, schedule yourself a longer connection on an upcoming trip and schedule your GE interview for that airport. There should be a GE site at pretty much all of the hubs, so this should be easier if you are 6 hours from SEA.
The issue is when I fly I usually don't know when I'm going until less than a month before flying. So I am afraid that there won't be anything open, I have thought about just flying there, cost's around $150 but I'm just trying to still decide if it is worth that since I don't do international more than twice a year. Although that could change, and then I'm sure I'd regret not signing up now lol.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 21, 2017 at 8:51 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1
You are confusing two entirely separate processes.

GE is a CBP program for entry to the US.

Pre-Check is a TSA program for expedited security clearance at checkpoints.

GE includes Pre-Check, but the two programs are separate.

GE costs $100 for 5 years and Pre-Check $85 for the same time period. Thus, you are saving $15 over 5 years by selecting Pre-Check only. That is $3 per year. If you travel 4 times/year, that is $0.75 per entry.
Costwise, GE is clearly worth it, but what about the signup hassle?

My situation - I have GE and my wife does not. We are traveling on the same tickets to Europe next month. Due to positioning flights she will have to go thru security in TUL and JFK on the outbound as well as DTW and probably IAH on the return. Pre-check would be a huge benefit for those 4 check-points. However she will only have to go thru immigration at DTW, so GE would only apply once on the trip, unless there are some reciprocal benefits in FRA and/or BCN?

We don't have a GE interview site at TUL, and when I signed up 6 years ago, it took 3 months to schedule an interview, plus it had to co-incide with a trip I was taking to a major airport city. Is this process still basically in play? From reading recent blogs, the Pre-check interview can probably be scheduled in TUL in plenty of time to add KTN to our July reservations. That wouldn't help her on re-entry in DTW, but it would make 4 security lines much shorter.

Wouldn't it be preferable for her to get the pre-check in this situation since that is actually attainable and will provide substantial benefit vs the GOES which would be nice in the future, but wouldn't help at all this trip?

Or can we be reasonably certain that DL and SQ and UA will automatically grant her Pre-check by being on my PNR even without her own KTN? Or is there a way to apply for both GE and Pre-check separately for a single fee, do the pre-check interview next week in TUL, then try to schedule the GOES interview which we are at JFK on 7/18 or in DTW on 7/25? Obviously GE wouldn't help her this trip either way, but if she could get pre-check now and complete the GOES process as a nice to have for the future, it could make sense.

Last edited by bbriscoe34; Jun 21, 2017 at 9:07 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:59 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Recently, we had some confusion in several other threads due to a member's use of the term GOES when referring to Global Entry.

GOES is the acronym for the Global Online Enrollment System and the website which is used to enroll in and update or edit information for the following Trusted Traveler Programs: Global Entry, Flux, NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST.

To avoid confusion, please use GE, not GOES, as the abbreviation for Global Entry.

Thank you,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
Or can we be reasonably certain that DL and SQ and UA will automatically grant her Pre-check by being on my PNR even without her own KTN? Or is there a way to apply for both GE and Pre-check separately for a single fee, do the pre-check interview next week in TUL, then try to schedule the GOES interview which we are at JFK on 7/18 or in DTW on 7/25? Obviously GE wouldn't help her this trip either way, but if she could get pre-check now and complete the GOES process as a nice to have for the future, it could make sense.
Some here are reporting pretty regular extension of PreCheck to their traveling partner if booked under one PNR. I hesitate to say "reasonably certain" but maybe "optimistically hopeful" would be more appropriate. I know of no way to apply for GE and PreCheck separately for a single fee. While GE has the added benefit of PreCheck they really are totally separate programs with different qualifying procedures and criteria.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Some here are reporting pretty regular extension of PreCheck to their traveling partner if booked under one PNR. I hesitate to say "reasonably certain" but maybe "optimistically hopeful" would be more appropriate.
That is interesting. We did not get that extension from mine to hers in Dec 2015 when we went to Curacao on AA, but I believe that we booked separate tickets from each of our AAdvantage accounts in one of the directions - which would be a separate PNR.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:58 am

Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck : don't live near big enough airport

I've submitted an application for TSA PreCheck and made an appointment - they do appointments at my local airport (RDU).

The closest place that does Global Entry checks is Charlotte, and I don't have any plans to go there any time soon, although I would actually prefer to have Global Entry.

Does it make any sense to also submit an application for Global Entry on the off chance that I'd be able to get an appointment or be able to walk in for an interview at some future date (within the 360-or-so days) when I happen to be in a big airport?

Otherwise I need to either live with just TSA precheck, or schedule a whole damn day off to make a round trip to Charlotte for no other reason than this...
Old May 4, 2018, 6:29 am

Question:

Any issues applying to both Global and TSA Pre at the same time? I need to get the domestic but, wouldn't mind the perk of international. However, the TSA PRE seems like a quicker process than GE. Also, if I'm approved for both can I not renew TSA PRE and keep renewing the GE?

FYI waiting for GE 1 month. TSA PRE Approved in 24 HOURS!
Old May 7, 2018, 9:13 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent question about which KTN to use by someone who signed up for Global Entry after having PreCheck was moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
You are automatically enrolled in TSA PreCheck when you are approved for Global Entry. GE costs $100, but if you travel internationally even fairly often then it's absolutely worth it.

The fee for TSA PreCheck is $85 per their website. For just $15 more ($100 GE application fee), you can sign up for Global Entry and get PreCheck as an added benefit for free. If you really want both programs, sign up for GE and you'll get both for only $100. You do have to schedule an interview for GE, but it's not hard to do so. Go for it!

Also, if you have an AMEX Platinum card then your $100 GE sign-up fee gets reimbursed by AMEX.
When you say automatically enrolled in TSA PreCheck my understanding is it is GE with TSA PreCheck benefits or is it you have both?

Is there any advantages domestically of being enrolled in TSA PreCheck Vs GD in getting TSA Pre for your flight?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mjr0483
When you say automatically enrolled in TSA PreCheck my understanding is it is GE with TSA PreCheck benefits or is it you have both?

Is there any advantages domestically of being enrolled in TSA PreCheck Vs GD in getting TSA Pre for your flight?
Aproved GE does indeed include TSA PreCheck as an added benefit. There really is no additional benefit to have GE and then separately enroll in TSA PreCheck. Technically my wife has both GE and separate TSA PreCheck. Her GE was at her own expense to be used in connection with our personal International travel. Her additional TSA PreCheck comes free because of her status as a Department of Defense employee. Since you can’t enter two KTNs in your airline profiles she chose her GE number. No particular reason nor any sense or notion that one number is better than the other. Bottom line for her is she has gotten TSA PreCheck 100% of the time for her frequent travels.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
precheck vs global entry

Is there any difference between buying the TSA precheck for getting via global entry? Someone asked me and was not sure. I didn't think global entry expires?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Yes, there is a difference. Buying PreCheck will only get you expedited security. Buying Global Entry gives you expedited security and allows you access to Kiosks at Immigration which will get you through faster as you typically don't have to interact with an Immigration Officer. Both require an interview before you're approved for it and expire after 5 years.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Now that the GE interview locations have been expanded to most (all?) of the places where Precheck interviews are held, there's really no reason not to get GE. They may ask you a few more questions...that's it.

All it takes is one arrival at a crowded immigration hall and whatever you paid for it ($100?) is completely worth it.

When I first got it, the interview locations were few and far between. I trekked out to JFK during a business trip to New York to get it done.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Global Entry requires a passport, while pre-check doesn't.
Montoya080 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you don't have a passport, you don't need GE !

GE costs $100 for 5 years, while Pre-Check costs $85 for the same time period. That is a $15 difference or $3 per year. If you take one overseas trip a year, it is costing you a $3 "premium" to have GE access.

Unless you have no projected need for international travel or have what one might nicely referred to as a checkered past which CBP, but not TSA, may find problematic, GE is a simple investment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.