Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Old May 18, 2015, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Might it cause questions? Yes. Will it cause a problem? Not likely.

What will most certainly cause a denial is if you lie. You clearly don't live with your folks and you clearly have your own place close by. Is there a particular reason not to simply list your correct address?

Tell the truth here and then go about getting everything updated. No reason not to.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:45 pm

Unless you're using your parents address to avoid municipal or state taxes ("a couple miles" puts you in a state with no income tax), I can't see any government agency getting bent out of shape about this. What you are doing is essentially the same as having a post office box--you have a mailing address and a physical address. In your case, the only difference is that other people live at your mailing address (who are related to you) and you are (presumably) not paying them a fee to collect your mail.

I am speculating, but I bet you use your parents' address because it's more secure for mail, somehow. Pretty much anyone would understand that as a reason.

Last edited by fwoomp; May 18, 2015 at 11:26 pm Reason: "Orfice" is not a word, and I didn't want the one it suggests!
Old May 19, 2015, 1:11 am

Thanks for the info! Definitely not doing anything dodgy with the addresses and definitely won't lie. I've moved about 4 times in the past 6 years and it is more convenient to just keep the and address, and yes, it's safer to get mail and packages sent to them. They live on a little side dead end street while currently I live in a busy area with lots of other apartments. I've had packages and such stolen before.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:48 pm

Application For Global Entry, Multiple Addresses

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could advise on how I should proceed with my Global Entry application considering that we have two addresses for our residence. I rent an apartment and this is where I reside most of the time and my parents live 5 minutes away from where I live. I usually stay with them on the weekends and I drop by almost every alternate day. My driver's license has the address of the residence of my parents.

How should I go about completing my current residence and previous residence history? Should I keep the aparment address as the primary and the address of my parents as the mailing address?

Would this become an issue if I provide my DL and they saw the address of my parents?

I guess I can get a lease agreement and rent receipts from my landlord. I can also provide bill statements for my internet/landline connection which would have the condo address.

Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When they ask to look at proof of residence, the address on a driver's license is routinely accepted. I thought that I had to list multiple residential addresses when applying for GE initially, but it didn't seem to cause me an issue. At the "interview", they asked me about who else lives at my various residences but that was about it.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:59 pm

@GUWonder, the issue here is that I have lived at the above addresses for less than a year, so I would need to list all my previous addresses along with the one on my DL (the address where my parents live) and the address of where I live i.e. the apartment address. Which of the two should I indicate as my primary?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Whichever you wish. DLs don't have to have current address on file. So it's no problem if it doesn't match. In fact most I know are never asked for more then their passport. They give you a long list of items to have with you, but then don't need them.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Whichever you wish. DLs don't have to have current address on file. So it's no problem if it doesn't match.
It depends--some states do require you to get your DL updated every time you move.

Of course, the folks doing screening for Precheck/GE nominally aren't about enforcing state DMV regulations...but I would guess that YMMV as to any individual employee's familiarity with them or interest in being sure you're following them.

Last edited by fwoomp; Sep 16, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fwoomp
It depends--some states do require you to get your DL updated every time you move.

Of course, the folks doing screening for Precheck/GE nominally aren't about enforcing state DMV regulations...but I would guess that YMMV as to any individual employee's familiarity with them or interest in being sure you're following them.
I would guess that the interviewers are more likely to know these rules (whether the address change is required or not and if it must be done how quickly) if you interview in your home state.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fwoomp

You're required to update with DMV. However nearly all states no longer issue a new DL for an address change, unless requested and paid for.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:04 am

Global Entry or TSA PreCheck?

Guys - I only travel 3-4 times a year (mix of domestic and international) and destinations change all the time. Since GE includes TSA Pre now, GE is the obvious choice for someone like me. Right?

Also, if I have my mom traveling with me on the same PNR, is she automatically going to get the same Pre line as me even though she isn't enrolled?

If not, I'll enroll her but she doesn't speak English. She is a US citizen. Is that going to pose a problem?

Thanks

Last edited by sam007; Nov 26, 2016 at 7:11 am
Old Nov 26, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by sam007
Guys - I only travel 3-4 times a year (mix of domestic and international) and destinations change all the time. Since GE includes TSA Pre now, GE is the obvious choice for someone like me. Right?
If you are only traveling 3-4 times total a year, I am uncertain if it is worthwhile going for GE or TSA Pre. My wife travels about four times internationally a year, but she doesn't bother (even though it is essentially free after statement credit).

Also, if I have my mom traveling with me on the same PNR, is she automatically going to get the same Pre line as me even though she isn't enrolled?
No.

If not, I'll enroll her but she doesn't speak English. She is a US citizen. Is that going to pose a problem?
I think interview is conducted in English only, but I may be wrong. I am not sure if a translator will be provided.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:39 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
No.
My experience differs. My fiance does not have PreCheck but I do (via GE). Every time we travel together on the same PNR, he gets PreCheck. I cannot think of a single instance in our dozens of flights together in recent years that he hasn't received it.

We typically fly American, but this has also happened on Southwest and United. (I can't remember if Porter participates in PreCheck, but if so, we've gotten it with Porter, too.)

Just to clarify: My fiance's experience is limited to PRECHECK ONLY. Global Entry rights have never extended to other passengers on the same PNR.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Personally for the few extra dollars I'd go with Global Entry even if only traveling outside of the US a couple times a year. I remember our first time reentering the US after we got GE. Landed in PHL with four other international flights. Must have been six or seven hundred people in the regular lanes. There were maybe a dozen in the GE lane and we breezed right through. That one instance alone was worth the $15 over just PreCheck ($100 versus $85). We have used GE now maybe six times with the same speedy process. At a couple of dollars a reentry I'd certainly rate it as a bargain and we still have several years to go before renewal.

Last edited by Randyk47; Nov 27, 2016 at 2:04 pm
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:43 pm

I know global entry includes pre-check. So when I go to the airport, do I look for the GE line or Pre line?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.