Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by MattEvan
Well, here’s a new one. I was rejected from the program on secondary because my fingerprint readings were too light!
Do you have the same problem with the ordinary entry fingerprinting?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Do you have the same problem with the ordinary entry fingerprinting?
No! That was the crux of my argument to them: I entered your very country with these very same fingers!

They tried all ten of my fingers, and couldn't get readings that were acceptable to them.

I finally asked for a 'Manējā', and a very gracious one appeared shortly thereafter. She explained to me, with great patience for my broken Japanese, that the automated gates take fingerprints that are several magnitudes more detailed than the standard entry lane readers.

Everyone was nice, and it was clear there was nothing they can do. I was somewhat annoyed that I had already purchased JPY2200 of 収入印紙.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:24 am

Submitted 9/15
got prelim approval 9/26.

That's just 8 weekdays, and two of them were Japanese public holidays
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Disembarkation Card Time Limit

I'm going to pick up my card soon, and I was just re-reading through the FAQ on the website.

I feel silly asking "is this right?" because, well, it's on the official website (Frequently asked questions Q?A? Start of the Trusted Traveler Program!??????), but with many flights lasting longer than 12 hours, does this mean that people are waiting to land (or using onboard wifi) to plug in their data? This just seems odd to me.

How are you users handling this issue?

I'm hoping this has changed, because the site still shows the "you must come in 3 months after approval" rule, even though the emails are now saying 6 months.

Thank you!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:16 am

You can enter the information while you use the TTP machine.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:12 pm

Not only can you enter the information on the machine, it is prepopulated with all your previously entered information so you most likely only need to change a few items like dates and hotel addresses. I have never ever seen another person in the green automated gate lane, so its not like there's pressure to get through there quickly.
jerrywu likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:24 pm

After trying on and off since the program was first announced, I was finally able to complete my secondary inspection in Osaka. Our inbound flight to NRT landed at 15:00, but the office closed at 16:00, which was shortly after we were able to get our 2200 yen stamps after waiting in a horrid immigration line. Our midday outbound flight was supposed to be from KIX to HKG, but that was moved to a late night flight out of HND due to the flooding at KIX (connecting from ITM to arrive right after the HND departure office closes at 21:00). This meant that my only chance to get the card was at the Osaka port immigration office, on the very far edge of town. We got there first thing in the morning, and there were only two other people ahead of us (one claiming refugee status and one for an immigration interview). Unfortunately, the staff was not very familiar with the process, and the woman I dealt with had never done it before. Once they finally figured out how to process the application, the card printer crashed. Ultimately, we spent about two hours in the office before they were finally able to get my application processed and my card printed out.

In the end, it was one last headache after 2 years of frustration, excessive processing delays, and bad timing. It was all worth it on our return flight back to HND from HKG later that week, when we saw the absurdly long queue at immigration. I just hope that renewing is not nearly as much of a PITA, and I hope they add a few extra kiosks in HND and NRT. One per terminal just doesn't quite cut it, although it is still infinitely better than the alternative.
rustykettel likes this.

Last edited by downinit; Oct 2, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by downinit
I just hope that renewing is not nearly as much of a PITA,
As Kaix mentioned, renewing basically constitutes a whole new application.

and I hope they add a few extra kiosks in HND and NRT. One per terminal just doesn't quite cut it, although it is still infinitely better than the alternative.
I've never seen another person in the green automated gate lane at NRT or HND and have never seen more than two Japanese nationals in the red lanes. So if anything maybe four lanes might actually be too many given the current usage rates. Maybe other travelers have had different experiences.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:37 pm

The red lanes had one person total for three lanes, but there were four people in line for the green lane on the one occasion that I used it. It took about 5 minutes to clear, which is still not terrible. Even one more green or a red/green kiosk would probably be more than adequate. The problem is when no one in the green lane has entered their info in advance, so everyone takes a while.

AFAIK, the program has only been around for two years and the card is good for three years, so the renewals will start en masse at the three year mark (not counting those who are filling up their card in advance). One can hope that maybe the people responsible for the program may revisit the renewal process in the future.
jashsu likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:50 pm

Wow. I'm flying from SFO/SJC and I would have expected to see more (or even one) non-national TTP user, but so far none.

As for renewals, you're right so far Kaix only reported a passport renewal and a card replacement due to filled entry list, not a card validity expiration. MOJ's FAQ webpage says after the validity period ends the user will have to reapply. Hopefully they will make the process a little less onerous.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I picked up my card last week at Narita.

Just a few quick data points:
  • I applied on 3/15, got approval on 5/30.
  • Went to the 2nd floor counter at Narita (terminal 1) and I believe it was the agent's first time processing a TTP application (rather than a Japanese national application).
  • I was asked to submit only 3 things:
    • My approval letter
    • Passport
    • Revenue stamps
  • I had brought my original signed "Form 13" along with a blank copy, neither were needed.
  • After taking my fingerprints, the officer handed me my card with the picture I submitted online in March.
  • I confirmed the following: a card can be replaced for free if it's full. If you change your passport or after the 3 years is up, you need to apply again from scratch. There is no "renewal," just a new application.
  • When I left the country, the scanner at the kiosk couldn't read my passport well. I got the message to go to a manned counter, but the assistant at the kiosks pulled out a handkerchief and wiped my passport picture page off. After that, it worked.
Just thought I'd share a recent experience.

I forgot to ask - and am kicking myself - if the card would substitute for carrying one's passport with them all the time, as required by Japanese law. Of course, my first card didn't have that visit's entry stamped on it, so it wouldn't prove when I entered the country.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:55 am

I finally picked up my card a week ago at Haneda after having received approval in early June. My experience was pretty similar to the others who have posted, so not much new information to provide except for the following:

When I presented the printout of my approval email, the person at the counter looked up my record and informed me that I was already past the 90 day period within which I should have picked up the card. I pointed out to her that the approval email actually said 6 months, not 3, both in English and Japanese. She read over it, didn’t really hesitate, and continued to process the card as normal. She said she would keep the letter as a record of that discrepancy.

Other than that, it went smoothly and it was all done in about 15-20 minutes.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LASNRT
I forgot to ask - and am kicking myself - if the card would substitute for carrying one's passport with them all the time, as required by Japanese law. Of course, my first card didn't have that visit's entry stamped on it, so it wouldn't prove when I entered the country.
The FAQ actually addresses this: you do not have to have your passport with you if you have the TTP card in your possession.

To the questions about seeing other TTP users: I've seen one other TTP user (at KIX, I was in line behind her). Of course the machine broke, and both of us had to end up using the manual lane. They wouldn't activate the other 3 available machines for TTP use (even though I explained that I have had them do this at HND and NRT on more than a few occasions). They were just being very lazy that evening (the "I just work here.." type)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:29 am
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by hey123
I finally picked up my card a week ago at Haneda after having received approval in early June. My experience was pretty similar to the others who have posted, so not much new information to provide except for the following:

When I presented the printout of my approval email, the person at the counter looked up my record and informed me that I was already past the 90 day period within which I should have picked up the card. I pointed out to her that the approval email actually said 6 months, not 3, both in English and Japanese. She read over it, didn’t really hesitate, and continued to process the card as normal. She said she would keep the letter as a record of that discrepancy.

Other than that, it went smoothly and it was all done in about 15-20 minutes.
I had exact question as yours but I won't be back until late November. I hope they'd also approve me like you. finger crossed.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:40 pm

Anybody here know how to check exactly when the 6 months to complete it in person expire? I don't even know exactly when they sent the email, given it is in another time zone, and there is 1 day difference between the US and Japan. I'd be cutting it close either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.