Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Do you qualify for the TTP under the business version?

Since this version is for short term business, among other reasons, I would think you could do this on a business visa.
The Visa/COE I always get is for "Entertainer" so they said that doesn't count unfortunately.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: JMB Sapphire
Another data point:

Submitted my initial application on 07/07/17, approved for secondary inspection on 08/15/17.

Just did my secondary inspection today at NRT Terminal 2 on my way out of the country. The counter is on level 3 (Departures), near check-in aisle 1. It’s big, with green signage, and is open from 8am-4pm.

Right away, the immigration inspector apologized because she’s never processed TTP before. The whole thing took just under an hour, and during it she had to call over two other staff members to help with the card printing/registering machine. Good news was that she took all my print-outs, my passport, my global entry card, and my revenue stamps and I just got to sit there quietly most of the time. In the end, got my card, and the immigration inspector and I apologized about a million times to one another for all the time/trouble.

But it’s pretty clear no one really knows much about this thing, which is a little annoying. I hope I don’t have any troubles with it going in or out of the country in the future.

On the website, it says you must register your disembarkation information a maximum of 12 hours before using the card to get into Japan. Does anyone know if this is actually true? My flight from Boston is usually about 13 hours, so I either need to do it before that, or hastily do it between plane landing and getting to immigration.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by himekat
On the website, it says you must register your disembarkation information a maximum of 12 hours before using the card to get into Japan. Does anyone know if this is actually true? My flight from Boston is usually about 13 hours, so I either need to do it before that, or hastily do it between plane landing and getting to immigration.
No. If you forget to fill out the disembarkation information online before you enter the gate, it will just have you fill it out at the gate.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:10 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Although it is written on the TTP website I thought I would make it clear to anyone reading this thread: foreign residents of Japan (i.e. those with a non-temporary visa) are not eligible for TTP. Instead, they should apply for use of the automated gates -- the same ones used by TTP participants, albeit with slightly different requirements (e.g. residents must continue to submit the paper dis/embarkation cards at the immigration counter).
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Successfully got my card after landing at KIX! I'll try to remember to update this post with the dates of application, but it was running about 1 month to somewhat under that in July/August.

Picked up the revenue stamps at the Lawsons at the north end of 2F Domestic Departures near the ANA counters. The Lawsons in the Aeroplaza near the Hotel Nikko also has them, and of course other stores in the airport may have them as well. I printed out a slip in advance with a Google Translate of "For 2 people. ¥2200 revenue stamps each person (¥4400 total)". Was handy so that the clerk could reference it when asking her manager at Lawsons versus relying solely on my verbal request. Also, when she initially only counted out enough for 1 person.

The CIQ PR staffers took a bit with mine and ended up summoning a supervisor because apparently there was some issue they couldn't figure out from the printed operations manual. Also, apparently the manual says a copy of the Global Entry declaration form and I had one with my original signature (because the email and instructions said to bring the originals for verification). They ended up photocopying it in the office.

Once the supervisor came in, things moved faster and my wife's went even quicker (not even needing to make a copy of the declaration form!) until taking fingerprints. Ended up using alternate fingers and get out of the humid sweat box a little over an hour total.

Submitted (and brought copies of):
Passport (front and photo pages)
Nexus card (front and back; CIQ staff asked to see original card too)
Printout of Nexus approval letter
Declaration form (would bring a photocopy along with original signed one next time)

Thank you naeglerian for your help and advice! Also very glad that I withdrew my July application and reapplied after it got approved more than 90 days prior to my visit. After watching the staffers flip back and forth for twenty minuetes over verbiage in their operations manual, I can't imagine that having an approval over 90 days prior would have been successful.

Last edited by rustykettel; Nov 15, 2017 at 1:37 am
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
My experience: Applied and conditionally approved after about 3 weeks. Arrived HND, went to the 1F Lawson and bought my revenue stamps. Back up to the 3F office in the corner by check in area A. Office was closed. Waited for about 10 minutes and someone showed up - guess he was taking a break. Gave him my acceptance letter and he pulled out the procedure manual. Gave him the approval letter, passport and GE Card. He got on his computer and started working away. Asked for the signed declaration with my GE number. Made a copy of my GE card (although I already had one, guess he wanted color). After about 10 minutes he took my finger prints and picture, printed card, stamped passport, affixed revenue stamps to application form and I was done. Left NRT via the automated gate: scanned passport, tapped TTP card, scanned fingerprints and I was off. Overall pretty easy - especially after reading the experiences earlier in the thread.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Question for those using the autogates on exit: Is there a spot to drop tax free shopping receipts attached to your passport or does the autogate lane completely bypass that desk? Will be leaving at HND and was going to test out the new card.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:08 am

I can’t answer about HND departure experience, but at NRT, there is only one machine for the autogate for the foreign passport holders with TPP cards. And, you NEED to visit Custom counter (clearly labeled), right after security check as you enter into departure immigration area, to drop off the tax free receipts.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
At HND you will drop off your receipts at the counter right after security but before exit immigration.

On another note, I had no problem redeeming my JR Rail Pass Exchange Order at NRT with the card. Showed them the temporary visitor stamp on the back of the card and my passport without issue.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
Replacement Card Procedure (after 15 Entries)

Replacement Card Procedure (after 15 Entries)

Once you've entered Japan with the card 13 or 14 times (I can't remember exactly how many), the machine will indicate that you need to get a new card soon because there is not much space left for additional entries. It doesn't specify how soon this needs to be done, or how many more entries you have to go before it no longer works. I confirmed with the Nagoya TTP office that there is room for 15 entries.

You cannot get the card replaced when entering Japan, you have to do it when leaving Japan (at the TTP registration area within outbound immigration), or at another TTP registration office/area within Japan.

Give yourself plenty of time to get this done, because they're going to have to get the manual out and figure out how to replace the card. They were able to figure it out at NGO in about 15 minutes, but I would plan for longer. You fill out a form with some basic information (Name, Passport Info, DOB, etc.) and they print out a duplicate card. For me they punched a hole in the old card and gave it back to me with the new card. Do not pay them anything in terms of the revenue stamps (in case they ask), this is free of charge.

The new card will have the most recent entry printed on the back (so that will take up space #1 on the back of the new card), and you can exit Japan with the new card.
jashsu likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:51 pm

1) Back before TTP exit customs would never remove my tax-free receipts from my passport. I think the intention of the duty free receipts in the passport is so that in theory customs could verify that the item had not been retained/consumed in Japan. In reality since they never asked to see the items or removed the receipts from my passport I wonder if it is even necessary to turn in the receipts when entering/exiting with the TTP card.

2) How are you guys even getting tax-free receipts while entering with TTP card? Are retailers in general accepting the TTP card for tax free purchases now? Last time I tried at the tax refund desk of a depato was no go. They issued the refund anyway on the basis of my previous entry, which was a still-valid 90 day sticker, but they were not happy about it.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by jashsu
2) How are you guys even getting tax-free receipts while entering with TTP card? Are retailers in general accepting the TTP card for tax free purchases now? Last time I tried at the tax refund desk of a depato was no go. They issued the refund anyway on the basis of my previous entry, which was a still-valid 90 day sticker, but they were not happy about it.
I was just recently in Japan and made a tax free purchase. I just showed them my passport which is stamped "User of Automated Gate Entry Until April 1, 2020. Japan Entry and Departure Stamps Exempted" and my TTP card which has the most recent entry date imprinted on the back.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by kluau88
I was just recently in Japan and made a tax free purchase. I just showed them my passport which is stamped "User of Automated Gate Entry Until April 1, 2020. Japan Entry and Departure Stamps Exempted" and my TTP card which has the most recent entry date imprinted on the back.
Was it at the menzei desk of a depato or a smaller shop? It's encouraging to see more datapoints that the TTP card is being accepted even though the NTA still advises visitors using the automatic gate to get a "seal of verification" from immigration (see here). I'm in Tokyo right now and on entry a few days ago I again inquired Narita immigration about this seal only to have the officer look on in puzzlement then send me away.

As an aside: I have yet to see another non-national using the TTP-assigned automated gate at NRT. In fact I rarely even see nationals using the automated gates. Perhaps its a combination of lack of public awareness of the program, relatively stringent requirements, and many potential users using ABTC instead?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by jashsu
Was it at the menzei desk of a depato or a smaller shop? It's encouraging to see more datapoints that the TTP card is being accepted even though the NTA still advises visitors using the automatic gate to get a "seal of verification" from immigration (see here). I'm in Tokyo right now and on entry a few days ago I again inquired Narita immigration about this seal only to have the officer look on in puzzlement then send me away.

As an aside: I have yet to see another non-national using the TTP-assigned automated gate at NRT. In fact I rarely even see nationals using the automated gates. Perhaps its a combination of lack of public awareness of the program, relatively stringent requirements, and many potential users using ABTC instead?
It was at a boutique in the Ginza.

Actually on this trip, both times the machine malfunctioned and had to be reset.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:52 pm

I made 2 tax free purchases successfully last week without any stamps in my passport.
The first one was at a Matsumoto Kiyoshi drug store at Akihabara. It seems that the two staff had not seen a TTP card before, but they accepted it without any question when I told them my Short Term Visit entry record was printed on the back of the card instead of the passport.

The second purchase was at Bic Camera at NRT T2. Among the 3 staff at the cashier, only the most senior guy knew what TPP is, and he told the other two that I was his second TTP tax-free purchase customer ever since the scheme was launched. The other staff at first thought that my card was a 在留カード (Foreign residence card) and said I could not have tax-free purchase lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.