Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Dual Citizens (non-US)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

I have two passports - one British, one Irish.

I have my US L-1B visa in my Irish passport, and travel to and from the US a lot on this passport. I would like to get Global Entry, but obviously only my British passport qualifies.

If I get GE on my British passport am I able to link this to my Irish passport in any way? Am I able to enter the US both with Global Entry AND with my L-1B visa?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by balloobas

I have my US L-1B visa in my Irish passport, and travel to and from the US a lot on this passport. I would like to get Global Entry, but obviously only my British passport qualifies.

If I get GE on my British passport am I able to link this to my Irish passport in any way? Am I able to enter the US both with Global Entry AND with my L-1B visa?
Maybe yes, maybe no.

I'm currently just British, but was told at my interview that I could bring along my second passport if/when it materialises, to have it added to the system. (I'm currently in the middle of naturalisation in a country who's citizens are ESTA eligible, but not yet GE eligible.)

You will always have to use the passport that contains the Visa to enter the country, but IF you can get both passports added (on the basis of applying as a British citizen), then you should be good to go.

It's worth noting that LPR's (who can be citizens of any country) can use GE, but they use their green-cards with the machines - so this probably isn't that relevant.

Might be worth firing off an email to someone at CBP to clarify this, but I wouldn't recommend getting your hopes.

Alternative solution: get your Visa transferred (no idea if that's possible...)?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by balloobas

No. The visa will need to be in the British passport. Otherwise they'll see you as Irish when using the visa. In fact the visa page will be the one scanned and not the passport bio page if entering using GE with a visa.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No. The visa will need to be in the British passport. Otherwise they'll see you as Irish when using the visa. In fact the visa page will be the one scanned and not the passport bio page if entering using GE with a visa.
Wrong: the photo page is always scanned, GE kiosks do not recognise visa pages.

You are correct in that the passport containing the visa must be used, but given lack of other information we don't actually know whether CBP can add a non-GE eligible nation's passport to a valid GE profile (and one statement I've been given by the CBP suggests it is - unfortunately I'm not going to be able to test that anytime soon).

(There's a whole thread on the photo vs visa page somewhere btw.)
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by televisor
Wrong: the photo page is always scanned, GE kiosks do not recognise visa pages.

You are correct in that the passport containing the visa must be used, but given lack of other information we don't actually know whether CBP can add a non-GE eligible nation's passport to a valid GE profile (and one statement I've been given by the CBP suggests it is - unfortunately I'm not going to be able to test that anytime soon).

(There's a whole thread on the photo vs visa page somewhere btw.)
Last time I was with a co-worker they had to scan the US Visa page to activate the GE kiosk. Opening to the bio paged resulted in nothing happening. This is what they were also informed at their interview.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Last time I was with a co-worker they had to scan the US Visa page to activate the GE kiosk. Opening to the bio paged resulted in nothing happening. This is what they were also informed at their interview.
Here's the thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...bal-entry.html

ALL the first-hand reports on this forum corroborate:
- Visa page doesn't work
- Photo page does work

That includes me.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:15 pm

Global Entry and 2 different country passports

So I have an interesting situation here.

I am a dual citizen, Passport A and Passport B. Passport A is eligible for Global Entry; however, Passport B is not.

My US Visa is in Passport B (Not Eligible); however, I simply want Global Entry for TSA Pre as I do a lot of US Domestic Travel and not to enter the country. Therefore, can I get Global Entry on Passport A, despite my Visa being in Passport B?

I emailed, US Customs and Border Protection and they replied with "This should work"; however, when I was going through the application online, it asks which passport will you be entering the US with... In reality this will be Passport B as this holds the valid Visa but this passport isn't eligible for Global Entry.

If I select Passport A (which I wouldn't be entering the US with as there is no Visa in it) it allows me to select Global Entry.

Thanks!

Anyone run into this problem?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:52 pm

Since you primarily want GE for PreCheck and given the situation you describe maybe it might be safer to simply apply for PreCheck. It sounds like GE won't be available to you given that you need to enter on a passport that does not allow GE even though it can be tied to your other passport. I'm not sure that the GE system was designed to handle your situation and the assumption is that you will be entering on the passport against which the GE is registered.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by blue_can
Since you primarily want GE for PreCheck and given the situation you describe maybe it might be safer to simply apply for PreCheck. It sounds like GE won't be available to you given that you need to enter on a passport that does not allow GE even though it can be tied to your other passport. I'm not sure that the GE system was designed to handle your situation and the assumption is that you will be entering on the passport against which the GE is registered.
Can you get TSA precheck if you aren't a US citizen or PR?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Good point - I had not thought of that - I believe PreCheck is only available to Citizens or PRs so this is probably not an option for the OP.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by s0ssos
According to the official website of the Department of Homeland Security and the Trusted Traveler Programs Comparison Chart, unlike Global Entry, NEXUS or SENTRI, the TSA Pre✓® program membership is open only to U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:06 pm

As a one time H1-B visa holder to the US myself I checked my old expired non-US passport and don't see anything in the visa that ties it to the passport and also the visa has its own machine readable code that the officer used to use verify the visa..so it may be possible to enter on anther passport that does not have the visa in.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As you haven't provided any detail as to country or visa-type, this is a largely generic answer. But, the question is whether it is doable and if doable, not too much of a hassle to apply for a visa under the GE-eligible passport, & apply for that under A. That is largely a question for the State Dept., e.g. the Consulate for A.

While it is unlikely that CBP would actually check that your visa is under B should you respond with "A", you are right to stick to 100% accuracy as the primary reason for denial is a false statement.

Let us know how this turns out after speaking with your closes US Consulate in A.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:30 pm

Global Entry with Dual Irish & UK Nationality, with an 02 visa!

I travel for work to the US often. I have had both 01 and 02 visas, currently have a valid 02. This visa is in my Irish passport, as all my visas for years have been. I have never had a US visa in my UK passport. Though it is registered for an ESTA.

Ive applied for Global Entry on my UK passport. As its not eligible to Irish passport holders.

So my question is - can I enter the US on my Irish passport/visa and still use global entry/pre-check?
Can I enter on my UK passport, and show them my visa in my Irish passport as an aside perhaps? The same way they accept visas in expired passports?

I have an appointment scheduled at LAX in August so I can ask then, but I was wondering if anyone had any experiences of this.

Thank you.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The passport containing the visa is the one which must be used to enter the US.

Take a look at this thread:
You probably will receive the PreCheck designation on your boarding passes if you enter your KTN (known travelers number) in your frequent flier profile(s) regardless of which passport you used to enter the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.