Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry and DUI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Maverick Joe

Thanks. Here’s an update. FINALLY, I’m conditionally approved and it’s scheduled for Oct 16.

Until then- Just staying calm and prepared.

Keep you guys posted.
Are you planning to bring any paperwork from your case? I'm in the same boat and wondering if I should get them from the court before my interview.
Maverick Joe likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Toffee Kino
Are you planning to bring any paperwork from your case? I'm in the same boat and wondering if I should get them from the court before my interview.
yes, I plan on bringing the 2 paged letter from the courthouse with the Violation and Step Aside judgment signed/dated/granted by the judge. She said as long as the staple is in place with the notarized seal at the front, the paperwork should be ok. The letter that was typed up on letterhead indicates the case was concluded and nothing more was expected of me. If by chance, more paper work is needed, then I’ll go back to courthouse (if more is needed) and pay about $20 for the detailed version. I’ll let you know what the outcome is. By the way, when is your interview set for? I’ll keep you posted so you know.

Also, before I received my Step Aside judgment, I disclosed why I needed this. At the time, I was going through recovery (and July 21, I have been living 6 years free from alcohol.). I don’t know what to expect, but I’ remain in good spirits.

Great question. Thanks for asking.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:58 am

I applied last month so I'm still waiting if I'll be conditionally approved. Thanks for all the info! How did your interview go??
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Toffee Kino
I applied last month so I'm still waiting if I'll be conditionally approved. Thanks for all the info! How did your interview go??

After I made the appointment, I wanted to make sure things fell into place. I told myself "Get your paperworks ready; including address change" "Don't forget your passport;" "Make sure I don't work that day; " "Fill up your gas tank;" and "Don't be late!!!"

When the exciting, interview day arrived (Oct. 16 at 12:45PM), this is how it ALL went down.

Driving to the airport, I was already 10 minutes late. When I parked, I hurried to the elevators; took it down to baggage claim and made my way to the CBP (Customs and Border protection office. The sign on door indicated "have a seat." When I finally sat down, I started to panic. I asked the other person, who was patiently waiting for his appointment time; he said,"1:15 PM." About 1:05PM, someone came out and asked if we had appointments today. I told him "Yes, but I'm late. It was supposed to be here at 12:45." And the other guy said, "Mine is at 1:15PM." The officer then called both of us in. He asked, "May I have your passport and driver's license please?" In a state of disbelief, I said, "Shoot! I left it in the car! May I please get it?" With a composed look, he said "You may. When you come back, just have a seat and I'll just come and get you." When I returned with my passport, I sat my down. I waited 5 minutes and he called me in. Upon entry, I immediately noticed that the guy that went in with me the first time, had already left. I thought, "Hmm...he didn't even had a rap sheet." Now, for the second time, I sat myself down, Just like the first time, he asked me to see my passport and ID. He then instructed me to place my 4 (right fingers-fore/middle/ring/pinky) on the scanner. Then do the left 4 fingers-same). Then, 2 thumb fingers together. He said, "I'm gonna take your picture now." In the back of mind, I'm thinking to myself "Hmm, he hasn't asked me anything yet." He then started to apologize for the wait because his computer was slow in bringing up the information. By this time, he was speechless and at one point said, "I don't know what to say." He then asked about the 2010 DUI conviction; if it was misdemeanor? I then said, "I have paperwork on it." So I handed it over. He said "typically if there is a misdemeanor (in a period of 10 years) it disqualifies you... But I can't find anything on you based on your fingerprints...And nothing is showing up...So he finally asked, "Was it a fine then?" I nodded and said "Uh huh." He said, "Based on your fingerprints there are no misdemeanors on file. I checked it twice; they are your finger prints." Based on the outcome, he granted approval and eligibility into the Global entry program. The approval process was quite intense. The news after what had transpired; I was sooo elated and happy inside. He said check your CBP account email for the approval letter and mailbox for the GE card, which I made sure he updated so that the original card is mailed to me at the right address.

Your welcome and best of luck to you. Please let me know how yours turn out; your conditional approval letter and Appt date and time.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Along with any other paperwork, I would always have an attested/certified copy of the court's docket entries. This is a chronological record of the case from start to finish. Depending on the court, it may be available online (although certification/attestation of course requires a physical copy being mailed) or someone may need to physically obtain it or one can write in.

As with all other paperwork, do not volunteer it but rather have it in a file ready to go if asked.

Many databases don't talk to each other and it is entirely possible to have an arrest record fed into a database used by CBP but not to have the disposition in the same database.

While not directly related to FT, there are all kinds of reasons why someone might need to show a final disposition at a point in the future. If you wind up in this situation, keep hard copies of everything in a safe place. If there is a fee for certifying a document, that will be worth it some day.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:51 pm

Wanted to share my experience here since I obsessively read through any thread I could on this topic..

I was arrested in 2010 for a DUI and convicted of having a BAC over .08%. During my interview I was automatically denied since it didn't meet the 10 year rule. I also brought court records, but the officer said there was nothing I could do except email the Ombudsman. I ended up emailing the Ombudsman, and was fully prepared to not hear anything back for 3-6 months. I heard back in one month, and was approved. In my email, I briefly described my arrest, the completion of my sentence, how I've turned my life around for the better, and why I want Global Entry. So if anyone out there is in a similar situation, don't lose hope!
klperezyoung likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:21 pm

Awesome!!! Congrats to you. I already used my global entry just recently and it was so nice to go through with ease - I was in customs kiosk and in and out of the line in about 5 minutes. Safe travel to you and the others reading this post.

Originally Posted by ahoyvee
Wanted to share my experience here since I obsessively read through any thread I could on this topic..

I was arrested in 2010 for a DUI and convicted of having a BAC over .08%. During my interview I was automatically denied since it didn't meet the 10 year rule. I also brought court records, but the officer said there was nothing I could do except email the Ombudsman. I ended up emailing the Ombudsman, and was fully prepared to not hear anything back for 3-6 months. I heard back in one month, and was approved. In my email, I briefly described my arrest, the completion of my sentence, how I've turned my life around for the better, and why I want Global Entry. So if anyone out there is in a similar situation, don't lose hope!

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 15, 2018 at 5:45 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:19 pm

Hello,

My wife had a DUI back in May 2009. We're both British and wanting to apply for Global Entry. To apply, you first need to pass the UK checks and provide an access code. Both our applications have come back clear and we have a UK Access Code to proceed with the application. We're next visiting the US in April of this year and was hoping we'd be able to apply.

On the application, it says "not including motoring convictions," so can she answer "No" honestly?

We're also unsure why she has the UK Access Code (all questions answered honestly) if she's not eligible for the programme. It's a "spent" conviction in the UK after five years, so we're assuming that's why it has come back clear.

Would we be good to apply and ignore this motoring offence or best to answer honestly? Slightly annoyed she'd be 9 years and 11 months...

Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by VictorSierra
On the application, it says "not including motoring convictions," so can she answer "No" honestly?
My best guess, as an attorney with considerable criminal law and DUI experience, is that "motoring offenses" in this context refers to traffic infractions which are punishable by only by fines or community service and not by jail time.

In the US, at least in the vast majority of states, DUI is punishable by a possible jail time with as much as a year in custody (most first time offenders are placed on probation and are not incarcerated).

If she were my client, I'd advise her to answer "yes" if the offense of which she was convicted in the UK may be punished by jail time at the discretion of the court and the prosecution.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:12 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
My best guess, as an attorney with considerable criminal law and DUI experience, is that "motoring offenses" in this context refers to traffic infractions which are punishable by only by fines or community service and not by jail time.

In the US, at least in the vast majority of states, DUI is punishable by a possible jail time with as much as a year in custody (most first time offenders are placed on probation and are not incarcerated).

If she were my client, I'd advise her to answer "yes" if the offense of which she was convicted in the UK may be punished by jail time at the discretion of the court and the prosecution.
I recall that the UK is different from most states in the USA (save good old WI) in that first-time DUI really is a 'motoring offense' without the possibility of jail time. Not 100% sure on this-- just a vague recollection.
JonNYC and TWA884 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:24 pm

Thank you both.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:23 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Someone I know let his GE lapse last month. Also last month he pled guilty to a Level 5 DWI which is the lowest level in North Carolina. He did 24 hours in jail, paid a fine and court costs, lost his license for a year and is on one year's unsupervised probation with a suspended jail sentence. I assume it'll be a tough process for him to requalify for GE?
Old May 28, 2019, 11:55 am

Hey everyone, looking for a little advice here. I have a dui conviction from 2005 in CA that was expunged via PC 1203.4. In early 2017 I applied for SENTRI, disclosed the arrest, and before even getting to the interview was denied for the following reason: "Disclosed convictions are disqualifying"

In august 2017 I wrote a letter to the ombudsman explaining the situation and asking for reconsideration. This was denied as well.

Am I doing something incorrect here, or approaching this the wrong way? From what I gather the 12 (now 14) year time span since the arrest should be sufficient for them to overlook this indiscretion. I'd like to reapply for GE at this point.

Thanks for any guidance!
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:53 am

Hey everyone! I've applied for GE and at this point I'm unsure of what the outcome is going to be. My story goes as follows:

In May 2014, at age 20 (so under the legal drinking age in the US), I was pulled over after a police officer had staked out a house party I had attended. I was under the legal limit, but because I was underage the officer decided to convict me with a DUII misdemeanor.

In Oregon, since this was my only offense and nobody was hurt (I drove all of about 10 feet), I was able to appeal for diversion. I completed all of the steps in my diversion process within 3 months, then had to have a clean record for an additional year. According to online public record, my case was dismissed and closed October 2015 with a note of completed diversion.

Usually, I wouldn't have even considered applying for GE, but since I recently obtained a credit card that reimbursed the application fee, I gave it a shot. The government shutdown earlier this year caused some delays, but I applied late January/early February. I disclosed in my online application that I had a diverted DUI in 2014 and was conditionally approved in May.

Now I have a scheduled interview in 2 and a half weeks (7/21) and I'm hoping everything goes smoothly. I'll bring a printout of the disposition that I found online, and explain my case to the interviewer if they feel inclined to know more. I know that 10 years is generally the necessary window to stay out of if you want approval, but I also know that this isn't always the case. I'll report back here in a couple weeks to share how it went
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:41 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Welcome to FlyerTalk @Caveman512!

Please take a look at the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.