Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry and DUI

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:56 pm

My recent experience with applying for GE with an OWI arrest and conviction (Operating While Impaired, misdemeanor) in Michigan from 1995. I disclosed on my application.

Immigration status: US citizen
Applied: 01-Aug-2017
Conditional Approval: 17-Aug-2017
Scheduled Interview: 18-Aug-2017
Approved: 18-Aug-2017 (Email received within an hour of the interview)

I was asked in the interview if I'd been arrested. I answered in the affirmative with brief details (date, location, charge). He replied with, "So, basically a DUI?" I said yes. I was then asked about the arrest's outcome (pled guilty, conviction) and whether I had any other arrests (no!!).

The CBP officer told me, informally, that single arrests/convictions of this nature that were at least 10 years old generally did not disqualify applicants for GE approval. He was speaking to me about my specific experience, though, so it might be different for other GE applicants in other situations.

The CPB officer did not ask me to provide any proof of my record, and the questions about my arrest were the only ones he asked. The interview was quick (less than 10 minutes), professional, polite, and positive. I'm greatly relieved, especially as I'd put off applying for GE because of this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:32 pm

I plead guilty to wet and reckless in 10/2007. Applied for GE 8-2-17, conditional approval on 8-19-17, appointment 8-23-17. Approved same day. Criminal record was not part of the discussion.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:50 pm

Global Entry and DUI

Hi!

I had plead to a wet reckless on 8/2016. The nightmare surrounding this event occurred on 2/2015 when I was arrested leaving my doctor's office medicated from a medical procedure. I am eligible to apply for an expungement in 8/2018. I live in the S.F. Bay Area.

My question is this: When can I apply for Global Entry, and be successful in obtaining Global Entry?

I figure that I should at least get my expungement before even looking at applying for Global Entry. I would like to know the opinions and experiences of other members of FlyerTalk who have been in this situation. I have read a few of the threads as to what has happened with members applying for GE and either being denied, appealing, and the results of these actions.

Thank you for your time and attention to my post! :-)

Last edited by mbluetyphoon; Oct 16, 2017 at 4:52 pm Reason: more definition to my question
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by mbluetyphoon
Hi!

I had plead to a wet reckless on 8/2016. The nightmare surrounding this event occurred on 2/2015 when I was arrested leaving my doctor's office medicated from a medical procedure. I am eligible to apply for an expungement in 8/2018. I live in the S.F. Bay Area.

My question is this: When can I apply for Global Entry, and be successful in obtaining Global Entry?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You may also want to take a look at this thread:
P.S. Please do not cross-post this question there, as it is against our rules (FlyerTalk Rule 6).
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by mbluetyphoon
Hi!

I figure that I should at least get my expungement before even looking at applying for Global Entry. I would like to know the opinions and experiences of other members of FlyerTalk who have been in this situation. I have read a few of the threads as to what has happened with members applying for GE and either being denied, appealing, and the results of these actions.

Thank you for your time and attention to my post! :-)
Welcome to FT. No personal experience. From reading past posts, ten years after incident is a common number to apply for Global Entry and receive final approval.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:20 pm

GE and a DUI in California

Hello!
Received a Mastercard BlackCard recently and it offers a free $100 GE application reimbursement when using the card, so I thought why not. But I was just going through the applications and noticed the line about convictions.
I've never had any issues in my life, am a solo business owner and pay my taxes, Never been in trouble with the law. Up until a girl I dated last year basically lost her marbles. She was pretty drunk after hanging out one night and created a huge mess for me. I ended up being the idiot that took her home with a couple drinks in me (received a 0.10) and a misdemeanor DUI. All because she drunkenly pulled my steering wheel into a wall on the freeway. DashCam caught the event and she received a DUI as a passenger as well. Cops were very reasonable with me due to the experience, but I couldnt get out of the 0.10. So here I am 2 years into a 5 year probation and looking at expungement and a shortened probation at the 3 year mark (according to my lawyer, he's going to try for an early go at this).

So, should I even apply for GE? Im more than willing to be honest about my experience, just asking if its even worth it though. Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Welcome to FlyerTalk @ebaydan777,

I've merged your post into an existing thread on this topic.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by ebaydan777
Hello!
Received a Mastercard BlackCard recently and it offers a free $100 GE application reimbursement when using the card, so I thought why not. But I was just going through the applications and noticed the line about convictions.
I've never had any issues in my life, am a solo business owner and pay my taxes, Never been in trouble with the law. Up until a girl I dated last year basically lost her marbles. She was pretty drunk after hanging out one night and created a huge mess for me. I ended up being the idiot that took her home with a couple drinks in me (received a 0.10) and a misdemeanor DUI. All because she drunkenly pulled my steering wheel into a wall on the freeway. DashCam caught the event and she received a DUI as a passenger as well. Cops were very reasonable with me due to the experience, but I couldnt get out of the 0.10. So here I am 2 years into a 5 year probation and looking at expungement and a shortened probation at the 3 year mark (according to my lawyer, he's going to try for an early go at this).

So, should I even apply for GE? Im more than willing to be honest about my experience, just asking if its even worth it though. Thanks!
Are you intending to wait until your probation is (possibly) completed in another year? Or until an expungement is issued? (Not that it officially makes a difference, but it may sway the officer.)

How does the police report narrative / court paperwork read -- is it sympathetic?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sounds like a DUI within the last year. That may in and of itself be problematic because the underlying facts are not important.

Other question is whether you have some form of suspended judgment. If you are awaiting a final entry of judgment, which might be a dismissal or expungement, CBP may want to wait until it is final.

Unfortunately, CBP does not issue advance opinions.

Given that you are not risking your own cash by applying, there is no downside in doing so. If you are denied, wait until the conviction is expunged and then apply again. While state court expungements are not necessarily the last word for CBP, in the case of misdemeanors, they tend to be.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:36 am

Must be at least 10 year old conviction

I went for my global entry and tsa pre check. Because i pled gulity to a dui misdemenor within the past 10 years, they denied me. He suggest i re-apply after 10 years from conviction date.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by rzamarron86
I had my GE interview today and got approved.

First of all I want to apologize if my english is not great, I`m not a native english speaker.

In June 2006 I was arrested, got a DUI and was placed on probation, I thought that because of that my application was not going to be approved (I disclosed the DUI in the GE application).
Two weeks before the interview I requested documents from the court that show that I completed my sentence.

During the interview everything went smooth, the CBP officer ask if the address was correct, took my fingerprints and picture. At the end of the interview the officer asked me if I was ever been convicted for any crime, I answered yes, told her about the DUI and showed her the documents from the court I had.

I don`t remember exactly her words, but basically she thank me for being honest and told me that my application was going to be approved within a day or two. I received an email 45 minutes later telling me that there was a change on the status of my application. Went to the GOES site and my application was approved.

My DUI was from 10 years ago, I`m not sure if you have to wait 10 years or more in order to get approved but I recommend to disclose the DUI in the application and bring proof that you complete your sentence.
​​​​​​​
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:06 am

I have 2 guilty DUI convictions within the last 10 years and I was approved. I detailed my convictions and the outcome in my application and provided certified court dispositions. Be honest and provide certified court dispositions and you should be ok.

Please let me know if there is a better thread to post this in...
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:40 am

Same here - a DUI and another criminal charge 11 years ago. DUI - guilty. The other charge - dropped. While the sentencing was 11 years ago, the full sentence ran out about 9 years ago (probation and fine payment plan). Approved.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:16 pm

I submitted my GE application on 8/27 and paid 8/28. To date, I am still waiting on notification or status.

Back in Oct 2010, I was convicted of misdemeanor DUI. This part of my life impacted everything around me including my professional and future career in healthcare. In 2016, a school advisor in the Nursing program suggested I go to court and get a Step Aside. I followed this suggestion and went through the whole motion and got the judgment.

I’ve read the posts in this thread (BTW, thank you all for the insightful information) and learned “the general consensus is 10 years” and “1 misdemeanor is allowed” under the discretion of the CBP. I’m not sure if this accurate, but I’m hopeful. The waiting game is something I have to get used to. Reading and posting has helped my anxiety levels. Also, I read (by many others from a different thread) that by posting on here (maybe just maybe) the FT mojo/magic may speed up the processing time.

Watching YouTube videos from individuals providing feedback, reading user experiences on this thread, and disclosing my past, I understand i have to be a bit more accepting and patient with the outcome. I will definitely re-post here to advise the outcome of the conditional approval.

Thanks flyertalk for this platform.
reaganFF likes this.

Last edited by Maverick Joe; Sep 26, 2018 at 7:32 pm
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
What a lovely post! Good luck on your application.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by squeakr
What a lovely post! Good luck on your application.
Thanks. Here’s an update. FINALLY, I’m conditionally approved and it’s scheduled for Oct 16.

Until then- Just staying calm and prepared.

Keep you guys posted.
squeakr and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.