Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Issues/Problems Using the Global Entry Kiosk Fingerprints Scanner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:22 am
Original Poster

I used Global Entry for the first time two weeks ago.

Although the screen indicated it was getting good readings of my 4 fingers, I kept getting errors multiple times telling me that there was a mismatch. I tried another machine and had the same problem. After about 8-10 attempts it recognized the fingers and the process continued and completed successfully.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
No, but my newly issued passport doesn't read. I have to manually enter my info. Stopped by the desk nearby and the officer was able to read it fine on his computer.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:29 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I used Global Entry for the first time two weeks ago.

Although the screen indicated it was getting good readings of my 4 fingers, I kept getting errors multiple times telling me that there was a mismatch. I tried another machine and had the same problem. After about 8-10 attempts it recognized the fingers and the process continued and completed successfully.

Anyone else have this problem?
You should not do that-- your GE membership can be revoked for using a second machine after a first machine generates an error. You should keep your fingers crossed that you don't get an email in the next few weeks revoking your membership . . .
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Ari
You should not do that-- your GE membership can be revoked for using a second machine after a first machine generates an error. You should keep your fingers crossed that you don't get an email in the next few weeks revoking your membership . . .
Generates an error as in spits out an X receipt or generates an error as in the machine crashes or just plain doesn't work? I can see not letting people try again for a non-X receipt, but penalizing someone for a broken machine seems like a bad policy. IIRC from my interview, if your fingerprints don't scan, it just generates an X receipt, not what I would classify as an error.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: Platinum
Another thread recommended wiping your fingers on your forehead to improve fingerprint recognition (oily skin works best). Worked for my older son, who has a bad fingernail/ finger biting habit.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

There was no X receipt, so I don't think I violated any rules.

If the finger scan doesn't match, it give you an option to try again, or cancel. I think it keeps giving you the option for a certain number of seconds (in the hundreds), as there is a countdown clock going. I assume if you keep retrying and the countdown clock runs out, you get the X.

When I hit cancel, the machine just went back to the opening screen, without spitting out an X slip (or and slip at all.) Since I was given the option to cancel, I assume that was a legitimate choice. Since I had no slip (X or otherwise) to take to the passport control officer, I assumed I could try again.

Anyone think I violated any rule, now that I have given a full description?

Originally Posted by realjd
Generates an error as in spits out an X receipt or generates an error as in the machine crashes or just plain doesn't work? I can see not letting people try again for a non-X receipt, but penalizing someone for a broken machine seems like a bad policy. IIRC from my interview, if your fingerprints don't scan, it just generates an X receipt, not what I would classify as an error.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
I don't think you are in trouble. I had a problem last year at SFO with the machine not seeing a scan at all and I asked a CBP officer walking by and he went with me to another machine and stayed until I completed the process.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by frankmu
Another thread recommended wiping your fingers on your forehead to improve fingerprint recognition (oily skin works best). Worked for my older son, who has a bad fingernail/ finger biting habit.
A bit of hand lotion during the taxi in to the gate helps, too.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
No, but my newly issued passport doesn't read. I have to manually enter my info. Stopped by the desk nearby and the officer was able to read it fine on his computer.
I had this problem once at ORD late last year. After entering manually, I got the "SHOW THIS RECEIPT AT THE EXIT" instead of the X. I tried it next at DFW, and the kiosk had no problem scanning the machine readable code on my passport.

There was one poster whose GE membership was revoked by trying a second machine, but I think a CBP officer saw him doing it and had a problem with it.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:57 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by realjd
Generates an error as in spits out an X receipt or generates an error as in the machine crashes or just plain doesn't work?
http://onyoursi.de/2011/10/whats-you...-global-entry/

Just saying to be careful.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

More Difficult in the USA, as Usual

While Americans are made to jump through hoops to use the GE kiosk, in the UK and the Netherlands anyone with an epassport issued by an EU/EEA country can go to a self-serve kiosk and pass through based on facial recognition (compares image in camera to image on chip in epassport.)

UK: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_198686

Netherlands: http://www.government.nl/news/2012/0...l-airport.html
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
While Americans are made to jump through hoops to use the GE kiosk, in the UK and the Netherlands anyone with an epassport issued by an EU/EEA country can go to a self-serve kiosk and pass through based on facial recognition (compares image in camera to image on chip in epassport.)
Don't be absurd. Since the ePassport lanes can be used by non-screened passengers who are unfamiliar with the system, they are often backed-up and inefficient. GE is an excellent system as it allows those who are familiar with procedures to efficiently bypass conventional screening. It is a privilege that extends trust and allows you to experience consistent convenience, while the ePassport lanes are highly inconsistent in their benefit, and have to be designed to accommodate untrusted and unprepared passengers. They are not comparable systems.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

How efficiently they work (in my case it did not recognize me, but I then was able to do to the front of the normal line) is beside the point. The point I was making (which I thought was reasonably clear) is that in the UK and the Netherlands, all travelers from EU/EEA countries are permitted to enter at an automated kiosk without speaking with a live immigration officer, without any need to first be cleared into a special program. In the US, one must first make a special application, be interviewed, and be approved.

The "trust" issue is the same whether the machines work efficiently or not, so that is not a basis to distinguish them.

Originally Posted by 14940674
Don't be absurd. Since the ePassport lanes can be used by non-screened passengers who are unfamiliar with the system, they are often backed-up and inefficient. GE is an excellent system as it allows those who are familiar with procedures to efficiently bypass conventional screening. It is a privilege that extends trust and allows you to experience consistent convenience, while the ePassport lanes are highly inconsistent in their benefit, and have to be designed to accommodate untrusted and unprepared passengers. They are not comparable systems.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
The point I was making (which I thought was reasonably clear) is that in the UK and the Netherlands, all travelers from EU/EEA countries are permitted to enter at an automated kiosk without speaking with a live immigration officer, without any need to first be cleared into a special program.
From my understanding of the UK system, each kiosk must be monitored by a border officer. This requirement seemingly defeats the purpose of the kiosks. In the US, in exchange for the effort to apply for GE, one gains the ability to use a kiosk unsupervised, and to be processed with less scrutiny. In the UK, the kiosk replicates normal screening except for speaking with the officer.

I think we should return to the topic of this thread: recognition issues at the kiosks.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Your understanding is incorrect, as I just went through a few weeks ago.

There were about 6 kiosks, one next to another, at Terminal 4. There was one attendant (I'm not sure he was a border officer), who kind of directed traffic and answered questions. There is zero scrutiny if you are recognized by the kiosk. If you are not recognized, or selected for a random check (GE also selects people for a random check), then you go to the head of the regular Eu/EEA line. Of course the scrutiny is still minimal, as the border officer simply makes sure that your documentation is OK, but, unlike the US, does not ask nosy questions.

Originally Posted by 14940674
From my understanding of the UK system, each kiosk must be monitored by a border officer. This requirement seemingly defeats the purpose of the kiosks. In the US, in exchange for the effort to apply for GE, one gains the ability to use a kiosk unsupervised, and to be processed with less scrutiny. In the UK, the kiosk replicates normal screening except for speaking with the officer.

I think we should return to the topic of this thread: recognition issues at the kiosks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.