FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Strange TSA PRE at SJC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1777048-strange-tsa-pre-sjc.html)

Orion Jul 8, 2016 8:02 pm

Strange TSA PRE at SJC

I entered the TSA PRE line at SJC and was sent through the metal detector three times. I was then sent through the nude-o-scope three times. I was told I flunked each time. I was, of course, curious what was causing the problem. I was dressed no different that any other time I travel. He patted me down and frisked me extensively including the groin area. He finally called a supervisor who came over about fifteen minutes later and they conversed. Then the original agent said, "You're good to go". I inquired what had been the matter but received no answer. Thirty minutes of standing around. I hope this is just a once every decade kind of thing.

LtKernelPanic Jul 9, 2016 9:45 pm

I had something similar happen with the NoS. Last month I got 'randomly' selected to get scanned after going through the WTMD in PHX. Being used to WTMD only at home and Pre everywhere else I didn't think about taking my wallet or fitbit zip out of my pocket so I had to get rescanned*. Both times it "hit" on my shirt in two places. The TSO realized he didn't have any gloves so I just pulled down the collar of my shirt to show him there wasn't anything under it. He said "good to go" and waved me through. Honestly he was as confused as I was as to what it was hitting on. I mentioned this in another thread and someone suggested it was probably sweat which makes sense because it hit where the straps of my backpack would have been.

Did the TSO let you see the screen with "Gumby" figure showing where it "hit?" If it kept hitting on the same place or if it was different each time may help explain what happened.

*I was surprised when he said to just hold my wallet and had me put just the fitbit in the dog bowl to get x-rayed. A TSO with common sense seems to be a rare breed these days.

Orion Jul 9, 2016 10:21 pm

Thanks for your response. The agent showed me the image from the nude-o-scope twice. There were two yellow blobs which I guess were there to block the view of my chest and genitals which I have seen before anyway. I have heard the rumor that the agent at the machine does not see the blocked out areas. Those are seen by someone in another room. He asked me my age. That is the only question anyone asked. A few "randoms" really are but for whatever reason many pax were going random at that time. They don't want to say you look suspicious. The frisking and pat downs revealed nothing. I was surprised when he said, "Good to go". Maybe I just sweat too much.

LtKernelPanic Jul 10, 2016 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 26894674)
Maybe I just sweat too much.

LOL I thought the same thing after sweat was mentioned in the other thread. It makes sense that if the strap from a bag (or even the bag itself) pressing against you would cause your shirt to absorb more than the surrounding fabric potentially causing a false positive. Also if your shirt had any metallic threads or printing on it that may have caused a false hit too. It's also possible the machine was just miscalibrated or otherwise not functioning correctly (imagine that!). Hopefully it's just a one off thing for both of us.

amw3000 Jul 10, 2016 6:41 pm

I've had this happen a lot in MIA. If I'm randomly selected, I always opt out of the NoS and go right for the pat-down as I know I'm going to have issues with the NoS.