Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your GOES online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by nrgiii
I am taking my kids to Canada for their Nexus interviews next week and will ask about it then, but I'm not expecting a solution.
nrg
While I was able to renew GE at my kids' Nexus interviews (thank you CBP ^), there is not yet any solution to the GE-before-Nexus renewal problem. The CBP officer was unaware of the problem where GE renewal precludes Nexus renewal. She said "give the system a week and try it again", but I'm not optimistic. None of the officers (Canadian and American) knew anything about this problem, which suggests it's a GOES application bug rather than CBP policy.

Last edited by nrgiii; Jul 6, 2016 at 4:17 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:32 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danib62
This thread needs to be killed or renamed... Something along the lines of: "don't set money on fire and renew both GE and NEXUS, only renew NEXUS"
^

"Renew NEXUS First" suggest renewing GE after NEXUS is required when in reality NEXUS already includes GE.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by seawolf
^

"Renew NEXUS First" suggest renewing GE after NEXUS is required when in reality NEXUS already includes GE.
For reasons that escape my comprehension, some people prefer to have both GE and NEXUS.

The discussion in this thread makes it clear that Global Entry benefits are included with a NEXUS membership. It is also explained that if a member of both programs chooses to renew GE and does so first, it will be impossible to renew the NEXUS membership before it expires.

That being said, I edited the title of the thread to make the latter point clearer.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by TWA884
For reasons that escape my comprehension, some people prefer to have both GE and NEXUS.

The discussion in this thread makes it clear that Global Entry benefits are included with a NEXUS membership. It is also explained that if a member of both programs chooses to renew GE and does so first, it will be impossible to renew the NEXUS membership before it expires.

That being said, I edited the title of the thread to make the latter point clearer.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
On the "why" side, it may be because this process has evolved over time. In the beginning there was the cross-boarder thing at JFK and one other airport, then Global Entry and now NEXUS. If you were in the first GE batch, you will be out of sync.

Has anyone actually had GE expire and regained it through an existing NEXUS membership? I'm still not convinced that is possible. I get that you can use your NEXUS ID in the GE kiosks but is that the same as actually having Global Entry? (i.e., will it work for travel from countries other than Canada?)

As a data point for anyone in the GE/NEXUS/GE loop, my NEXUS expired July 20th and the opportunity to re-enroll appeared on July 21. I immediately applied so we will see how long it takes.

FWIW
DLM

Last edited by dmunz; Jul 25, 2016 at 6:58 am
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by dmunz
On the "why" side, it may be because this process has evolved over time. In the beginning there was the cross-boarder thing at JFK and one other airport, then Global Entry and now NEXUS. If you were in the first GE batch, you will be out of sync.

Has anyone actually had GE expire and regained it through an existing NEXUS membership? I'm still not convinced that is possible. I get that you can use your NEXUS ID in the GE kiosks but is that the same as actually having Global Entry? (i.e., will it work for travel from countries other than Canada?)

As a data point for anyone in the GE/NEXUS/GE loop, my NEXUS expired July 20th and the opportunity to re-enroll appeared on July 21. I immediately applied so we will see how long it takes.

FWIW
DLM
Yes a current NEXUS membership includes all GE benefits. There is ZERO reason to maintain a separate GE membership if you have NEXUS (unless you like giving CBP an extra $100 every 5 years).
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by dmunz
Has anyone actually had GE expire and regained it through an existing NEXUS membership? I'm still not convinced that is possible. I get that you can use your NEXUS ID in the GE kiosks but is that the same as actually having Global Entry? (i.e., will it work for travel from countries other than Canada?)FWIW
DLM
NEXUS card is used only when entering Canada using a kiosk. When you enter the U.S., passport is used using a Global Entry kiosk, not NEXUS card. Your passport information is stored in the GOES system similar to Global Entry.

https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-comparison-chart

Expedited processing at airports and land borders when entering the U.S. and Canada.

Includes Global Entry benefits.

Includes the TSA Pre✓™ benefits for U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents and Canadian citizens.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:26 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The only thing I'm not sure of is whether a NEXUS only member can apply for Korea and Netherlands TT programs and whether New Zealand will accept NEXUS card for their dedicated GE lane. If so, then I think it is pretty clear NEXUS contain full GE benefits and not a just a subset.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:20 pm

Found this in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=22732's wiki.

NOTE: If you renew Global Entry alone whilst your NEXUS card is active, you will not be able to renew your NEXUS card until it expires. The option to do so disappears from your GOES pages.

Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your GOES online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
I quoted that letter verbatim upthread three weeks ago.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
I quoted that letter verbatim upthread three weeks ago.
Sorry, forgot about it already. Time flies and memory fades.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
I had NEXUS, added GE which cancelled the NEXUS membership (deceiving as GE used the same # and card as the orig NEXUS) thus no option to renew it, only to re-apply after NEXUS expired. I almost wonder if it was intentional to steer users towards GE & away from the obviously half priced NEXUS.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
I had NEXUS, added GE which cancelled the NEXUS membership (deceiving as GE used the same # and card as the orig NEXUS) thus no option to renew it, only to re-apply after NEXUS expired. I almost wonder if it was intentional to steer users towards GE & away from the obviously half priced NEXUS.
Well, Nexus includes GE benefits, so why would you add it after you had Nexus?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:49 pm

Hi All,
I am a member of GE/SENTRI/NEXUS - and I am coming up for renewal.

It's clear NEXUS is the superset of all of them.

But of course they don't tell you that when you get NEXUS, and I tried several times to use my SENTRI card ( with a valid expiration date) to cross back into the US from Mexico, I was sent to secondary at the US/Mexico border while they scratched their heads and eventually let me go. Finally someone said to just use your NEXUS card.
Anyway, we are up for renewal.

I saw three options GE, Nexus, SENTRI. My wife called to find out what of the three options to renew and they clearly told her to "renew GE" as that renewal would cover all three. Of course, we want to continue with the full NEXUS.

But I think that we have just made a big "oops"....
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by loopless
Hi All,

But I think that we have just made a big "oops"....
OK, so here is the weird thing. My wife (also NEXUS/SENTRI/GE) renewed first, and based on the advice from CBP over the phone, picked "renew Global Entry". She went through the process and was charged $US100.

Thinking she had made a mistake, I selected "renew NEXUS", went through the identical process, but was only charged $US50.

So this is all very weird, when I go back in , I have no option to renew Global Entry.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by loopless
OK, so here is the weird thing. My wife (also NEXUS/SENTRI/GE) renewed first, and based on the advice from CBP over the phone, picked "renew Global Entry". She went through the process and was charged $US100.

Thinking she had made a mistake, I selected "renew NEXUS", went through the identical process, but was only charged $US50.

So this is all very weird, when I go back in , I have no option to renew Global Entry.
Since Nexus includes GE privileges and costs half, why would you wanna renew GE on its own?
It's like renewing TSA Pre when you have GE already. It's redundant and makes no sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.