Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your GOES online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by LouiseMc
I accidentally renewed Global entry instead of Nexus several years ago. When I had to resubmit for Nexus and received it, I was told to destroy my Global entry card as it was no longer needed.
Did you have to pay $50 for your NEXUS renewal, in addition to $100 for Global Entry renewal?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:53 am

Yes, unfortunately. But, I should have clarified that the Global Entry was new for me - I made the mistake of applying for it instead of renewing my Nexus. I believe at the time I thought it was a more inclusive card and evidently according to our local enrollment office a lot of people make the same mistake.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by LouiseMc
Yes, unfortunately. But, I should have clarified that the Global Entry was new for me - I made the mistake of applying for it instead of renewing my Nexus. I believe at the time I thought it was a more inclusive card and evidently according to our local enrollment office a lot of people make the same mistake.
Thank you for sharing. I will make sure I do not make a similar error when it is time to renew my NEXUS. Luckily my Global Entry expires four years earlier than my NEXUS, not the same year.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
GE has been renewed. Now NEXUS needs to be renewed and I cannot see how to do it. And yes, I know I screwed up.

Has the question been answered? Does anyone know? Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Renew nexus first!!!!

Originally Posted by hedoman
GE has been renewed. Now NEXUS needs to be renewed and I cannot see how to do it. And yes, I know I screwed up.

Has the question been answered? Does anyone know? Thanks!
According to CBP, you must wait until Nexus expires and reapply. I realize that is completely asinine but it's the only way. I am in the same boat and received the following email from CBP:

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) INFO Center.

You lost the option to renew NEXUS when you renewed GE. We have tried canceling [GE] applications and that still does not give the NEXUS renew options. We are working on it - but the only workaround is to wait for NEXUS to expire and add it again.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
I am taking my kids to Canada for their Nexus interviews next week and will ask about it then, but I'm not expecting a solution.

nrg

Last edited by nrgiii; Jun 22, 2016 at 8:13 am Reason: Fix typo
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Thanks....very much!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by nrgiii
According to CBP, you must wait until Nexus expires and reapply. I realize that is completely asinine but it's the only way. I am in the same boat and received the following email from CBP:

I am taking my kids to Canada for their Nexus interviews next week and will ask about it then, but I'm not expecting a solution.

nrg
Thank you for sharing.

• Was there an option to select renew NEXUS instead of Global Entry?
  • Was renewing Global Entry the default?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Thank you for sharing.

• Was there an option to select renew NEXUS instead of Global Entry?
Yes
  • Was renewing Global Entry the default?
Not the default but GE was first on the list.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by nrgiii
Not the default but GE was first on the list.
Now understand why people made the same mistake; renewing Global Entry instead of NEXUS.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Presidents Circle
Oh well.

Gives me another excuse to visit Canada (at way more money out of my pocket).
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: UA: MM
Well this sucks...

My GE and NEXUS were out of sync by a year (GE expired July 2015; NEXUS expires this year.) When I tried to renew both last year I was told it was too early to renew NEXUS and that I would get a letter telling me when to renew.

Of course, I renewed my GE so I guess I just have to wait for NEXUS to expire and then reapply.

FWIW
DLM
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by dmunz
Well this sucks...

My GE and NEXUS were out of sync by a year (GE expired July 2015; NEXUS expires this year.) When I tried to renew both last year I was told it was too early to renew NEXUS and that I would get a letter telling me when to renew.

Of course, I renewed my GE so I guess I just have to wait for NEXUS to expire and then reapply.

FWIW
DLM
Why do you need to renew Global Entry if you already have NEXUS? With NEXUS, you get TSA Pre check and Global Entry for free.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:46 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From the Wikipost in the The NEXUS Information Thread:
Renewal process
  1. Go through the normal Nexus office passport update
  2. Log into GOES; you'll see your "Trusted Traveller Program" and "APEC Business Travel Card" are still active.
  3. Select "Manage Membership" for your Trusted Traveller Program
  4. At the top of your details page, select the drop-down for "US Programs"
  5. You should see an "APEC Replacement Card" option present, to click on
  6. Verify your new passport number
  7. Pay for the replacement card

NOTE: If you renew Global Entry alone whilst your NEXUS card is active, you will not be able to renew your NEXUS card until it expires. The option to do so disappears from your GOES pages.

Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your GOES online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: UA: MM
Why do you need to renew Global Entry if you already have NEXUS? With NEXUS, you get TSA Pre check and Global Entry for free.
I had Global Entry first (by at least a year). I was traveling internationally but not to Canada. Once I started going to Canada more I got NEXUS. Since my GE expired one year before NEXUS, I just renewed it. I didn't know that NEXUS "included' Global Entry. I always thought they were separate programs that had to be managed in isolation.

Neither one const me anything as work paid or I used a credit card rebate.

FWIW
DLM
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:33 am

This thread needs to be killed or renamed... Something along the lines of: "don't set money on fire and renew both GE and NEXUS, only renew NEXUS"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.