Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

PreCheck name matching issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PreCheck name matching issues

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kingston
I just made a dummy reservation on usairways.com using an initial for middle name. It doesn't require a full name at all. Hell, Harry S. Truman's middle name was "S."
If this keeps being an issue just call us airways and tell them you need them to change your profile name to match your govt ID.
excellent advice....
i called us air and lol, despite my name being in that format with all three names in full, they said they see me as having only the middle initial. so Im done with being concerned about it--thanks
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The name on the BP can be slightly different then what is in the Secure Data fields. These are two separate fields. Have the airline enter your name as on your passport in the secure data field along with your GE number. This is what will trigger the TSA PreCheck. The name on the reservation itself can still show how it is on your DL or you can have them change it to appear as on passport. Regardless a check-in agent won't care. Middle full name or Middle initial is the same to them.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Need to understand that the name on the boarding pass can be different slightly from the name field of the Secure Flight Data. You need to ensure that the airline has the secure flight data name exactly as CBP entered it, or you won't get PreCheck. However the name on the reservation can remain the same, thus no need to go through with a name change on your FF accounts.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME it's easier to have the name on your FF account match the name on the travel documents you use so that you don't havve to type in your name when booking tickets.

Some airlines require "proof" when you change the name on your FF account such as a scanned or faxed copy of your passport page wiith the photo and personal information. So it can be a bit of a hassle to change the form of your name with airline accounts.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Need to understand that the name on the boarding pass can be different slightly from the name field of the Secure Flight Data. You need to ensure that the airline has the secure flight data name exactly as CBP entered it, or you won't get PreCheck. However the name on the reservation can remain the same, thus no need to go through with a name change on your FF accounts.
Isn't the Secure Flight Data name taken from whatever is on the boarding pass? I'm not sure I understand the differences here.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:44 pm

I have a space in my last name, and have mixed luck getting airlines to include it. Part of my name also sometimes gets cut off because it's too long. I always get TSA Pre regardless.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
Isn't the Secure Flight Data name taken from whatever is on the boarding pass? I'm not sure I understand the differences here.
Nope. They're different fields. However if you don't tell them it needs to be entered a certain way in the Secure Flight Data then they will just copy it from the reservation. Also not all website will allow you to enter it separately and you'll have to call and update it with the airline. If you go into your FF program profile you should see a section for Secure Flight Data and a place to update the name or contact info for who to contact to update it. Unlike changing your name on the FF account changing the Secure Flight Data doesn't require a document to prove the name change.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Nope. They're different fields. However if you don't tell them it needs to be entered a certain way in the Secure Flight Data then they will just copy it from the reservation. Also not all website will allow you to enter it separately and you'll have to call and update it with the airline. If you go into your FF program profile you should see a section for Secure Flight Data and a place to update the name or contact info for who to contact to update it. Unlike changing your name on the FF account changing the Secure Flight Data doesn't require a document to prove the name change.
Some airlines let you fill that out when checking in too.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:43 am

No Precheck due to missing space btwn name?

Before receiving my KTN, I had been randomly been receiving Precheck thru Delta. Now that I have my KTN, I did not receive Precheck for a flight tomorrow

So I'm wondering if this is the issue... When my company books my travel, for some reason their systems don't put a space between my first name and middle initial.

My Company travel profile reads: Firstname M. Lastname with each name in separate fields on our online form we fill out.

My company's travel confirmations read: Lastname / Firstname.M which then Delta books as Firstnamem Lastname on my reservations.

My KTN was registered Firstname Middlename Lastname as it appeared on my US passport.

I talked to someone at my company's travel department last week and she said if I have my middle initial in my profile that's the way it gets booked but she couldn't answer any questions related to the lack of a space between my Firstname and middle initial.

If I completely take my middle initial out of my corporate flight tickets, do you think this will help me get Precheck or will it still be an issue since my KTN was issued with all three names in full? Or do I need to change my Company Travel profile and add my entire Middle name and hope they space it properly?

So annoyed by my company's travel department's computer systems!!!

BTW... TSA Precheck KTN was assigned quick! Applied online on a Wednesday, had my appointment on a Thursday and by that Friday my KTN was assigned!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
First off, is your KTN being attached to your reservations? Delta needs to send the KTN, along with your name, to get you Precheck.

Secondly, the middle initial being appended to your first name will throw off the name matching TSA uses to grant those who have KTN Precheck. The name needs to match exactly to your application. You might be able to call the Delta res desk and make sure that your Secure Flight data (which is what TSA uses for Precheck) matches exactly to your Precheck application (Name, Sex, Birthdate and KTN).
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dustman81
First off, is your KTN being attached to your reservations? Delta needs to send the KTN, along with your name, to get you Precheck.

Secondly, the middle initial being appended to your first name will throw off the name matching TSA uses to grant those who have KTN Precheck. The name needs to match exactly to your application. You might be able to call the Delta res desk and make sure that your Secure Flight data (which is what TSA uses for Precheck) matches exactly to your Precheck application (Name, Sex, Birthdate and KTN).
The interesting thing is that the only airline we have this trouble with is Delta and it's consistent. My BP's and luggage tags always come out RandolphM and my wife's CareyL and then our last name. We've gotten PreCheck on past flights with them but before either of us had registered KTN's. I'm guessing because of whatever glitch Delta has in their system we'll get disconnects now our KTN's are in our profiles now.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
My last trip with Delta, less than a month ago, I called them because I was worried about this very problem. They told me not to worry, and they were right -- I got Precheck both ways without having to change anything.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Randyk47
The interesting thing is that the only airline we have this trouble with is Delta and it's consistent. My BP's and luggage tags always come out RandolphM and my wife's CareyL and then our last name. We've gotten PreCheck on past flights with them but before either of us had registered KTN's. I'm guessing because of whatever glitch Delta has in their system we'll get disconnects now our KTN's are in our profiles now.
I haven't flown Delta since getting my KTN, but if Delta is the problem, you'd think TSA would be working with them to fix it. Surprising as Delta (and American) were the first airlines to offer Precheck.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by dustman81

Yes, I had called Delta to make sure my KTN was attached to my resi the day before I checked in. When I spoke to Delta, we did verify and confirm my data matched exactly but since my Firstname is being appended by my middle initial I think that's what is throwing it off.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
I'd recently booked and paid for personal travel flights booked on Delta's website and it properly had my Firstname M. Lastname as I had booked it. The only time I'm having these issues with my middle initial being appended to my Firstname is when my company books my travel - which is 95% of my travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.