Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884

When Do I Need My Global Entry Card?

The circumstances under which a GE card is required/not required or useful varies to some degree. Certain travelers (e.g. those who are not Canadian or US Citizens, but are in another country's frequent traveler program and the US extends GE to them) do not have Global Entry cards. YMMV slightly with some of the below.

Scenarios when a GE card is absolutely required:
  • When crossing into the US from a foreign country (Mexico/Canada) via land and you want to use the NEXUS/SENTRI/Ready Lane lanes to enter the US, or returning to the United States by sea (if the destination in the United States doesn't have GE kiosks, e.g. some commercial cruise terminals).
  • You must show your GE or NEXUS cards to gain access to CATSA Trusted Traveler screening line at Canadian airports. (There are very limited reports of individuals using the now defunct CBP sticker on the inside of the back cover of their passport or logging into GOES on their smartphone to gain access to the line). Even if you clear using a non-TT line (premier or regular security line) you can walk over to the GE kiosks after clearing security (at YUL and YVR. May not be possible at at YYZ). GE kiosks at Canadian pre-clearance airports accept both passports and NEXUS cards.
  • There are reports of YYZ US CBP personnel expecting a GE card from those not eligible to them, but being satisfied by the user giving their Trusted Traveler Number (a.k.a. PASSID from GOES) in lieu of the card.
  • At cruise port where it does not have kiosks like Terminal 25 of Port Everglades, Florida, GE card is required to gain access to the GE lane.

Scenarios under which a GE/NEXUS card can be useful, but is not necessarily required:
  • When approaching GE lanes at certain airports, sometimes CBP or airport staff will ask to see the card to allow access to the GE kiosk area. If you don't have a card or don't have the card on you, you may want to try stating that you are enrolled in GE; if you have the defunct sticker in your passport, you can show that.
  • The GE card is useful at TSA Checkpoints domestically as an ID to match against the boarding pass. GE card is REAL ID compliant.
  • The GE card may be acceptable by CBSA for entry into Canada provided member is US citizen.
  • Use as a primary ID when you don't want your driver's license barcode/magswipe scanned and stored in a database (at a gated community, many retail stores, etc.) - although acceptance can vary because it is not the most commonly used ID.
  • Secondary proof of age/identification when the validity of a driver's license is in doubt

The GE card is normally not required (with the previously mentioned caveats) when using GE kiosks at US airports, since the airport kiosk reads the passport and user's fingerprints and cannot read the GE card.

Print Wikipost

The Global Entry Card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I cannot have a GE card, even though I am in the program, as they won't mail it to a foreign registered address.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I cannot have a GE card, even though I am in the program, as they won't mail it to a foreign registered address.
Can you have them mail it to a US or Canadian address?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by N1120A
Shoes off? At YYZ, while you have to take electronics out, everything else stays in and shoes stay on. Sounds odd, given that CATSA is supposed to have uniform standards.
My NEXUS lane CATSA experience across several Canadian airports (but admittedly not Calgary) is uniformly shoes on, liquids in, and laptops out.

You would think the CATSA line-minders would know by now to explain to everyone that you need the GE card for screening but not to access the GE kiosks.

It sucks for the minority of GE members who aren't eligible for cards, but it's nice of CATSA to open the lines to at least some GE members (they'd certainly be within their rights to limit access to NEXUS members only and I'm appreciative they don't)
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:58 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

Who gets and does not get a Global Entry card is discussed in the "Is a Global Entry card required???" thread.

Please confine your comments in this thread to using your Global Entry card to access the CATSA Fast Lanes.

Future off-topic posts will be deleted without further notice.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by N1120A

Shoes off? At YYZ, while you have to take electronics out, everything else stays in and shoes stay on. Sounds odd, given that CATSA is supposed to have uniform standards.
Nope you still need to keep your shoes on as well
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:49 pm

Has anyone done this (used their GE card to access the CATSA Fast Lane for security) at YUL? I've read through this thread and it's mostly experiences at YVR/YYZ.

If you use Aéroport de Montréal's departure guide and indicate that you have a US passport and Global Entry card, it doesn't make any special note about security; whereas if you indicate you have a Nexus card instead, it mentions you can use the Nexus line at security (which I assume is the CATSA Fast Lane).

Anyone with personal experience?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by andrewesque
Has anyone done this (used their GE card to access the CATSA Fast Lane for security) at YUL? I've read through this thread and it's mostly experiences at YVR/YYZ.

If you use Aéroport de Montréal's departure guide and indicate that you have a US passport and Global Entry card, it doesn't make any special note about security; whereas if you indicate you have a Nexus card instead, it mentions you can use the Nexus line at security (which I assume is the CATSA Fast Lane).

Anyone with personal experience?
Yes, the actual sign at the YUL fast lane says NEXUS or GE access only and they accepted my GE card no questions asked.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:38 am

Good morning FT peeps.

Read multiple times of people getting an approval email almost immediately after the interview with the KTN number. Also read that the # gets stamped on the passport/or the officer hands you documentation post interview with the #(or maybe the old process?)
1. Which one is most accurate and recent? Since the official shipping time line is 4-6 weeks, can I use the GE line once approved without the actual card in hand(assuming the system links my KTN and my passport at approval)? OR do I need the actual physical card in hand(unlike TSA pre)?

2. How long does it take for you to get the card after the interview?

My current interview set during a return layover. And I have another trip planned exactly a month later, for/by which I would like to have my card in hand. An earlier interview would mean flying to ORD just for this.

TIA

Last edited by krisk17; Oct 23, 2017 at 7:44 am
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:11 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hi @krisk17

I moved your message to a more relevant thread than where you originally posted it.

Please review the wiki and earlier messages; most of your questions are answered there.

I'll add that passports are no longer physically marked with any indication of GE membership; the passports and KTN numbers are linked.

The GE kiosks can be used as soon as you receive final approval. The card takes about a week to arrive afterward. If you have any pending reservations, you may want to add the KTN number to the PNR in order for you to receive the PreCheck designation on your boarding passes.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Your KTN is the reference number printed on the appointment letter and the agent will probably point that out at the interview. GE is immediate upon approval and requires no documentation, Pre-Check may take a short time (I don't know how long) to filter through.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
It may well have been a coincidence, but when the approval came through right after the interview I added my KTN to the reservation for the next day's flight, and then checked in online, PreCheck included with the boarding pass.

Bear in mind that you need to have your KTN linked to specific flights booked before approval, but flown after. Adding the number to your airline profile only works for future flights booked thereafter; airlines don't add the number (sweep) retroactively themselves.

​​​​​
​​​​​
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Card is definitely required when departing from YYZ terminal 1. No access to CATSA priority security lines (even when flying in paid business class) *or* Global Entry kiosk access without. (And don't ask why; you will be threatened with having your GE status revoked.)
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
I was told by a CBP agent at YYZ today that my GE would likely be revoked, because I complained about not being able to use the GE kiosks without presenting my card.
I'm confused -- you need to show your card to a human before they let you proceed to a kiosk, or does the kiosk somehow need you to use your card instead of just your passport? I've always just walked up to a kiosk and put in my passport.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by abaheti
I'm confused -- you need to show your card to a human before they let you proceed to a kiosk, or does the kiosk somehow need you to use your card instead of just your passport? I've always just walked up to a kiosk and put in my passport.
You have to show your card to an airport contractor to access the CATSA security line that leads to the GE kiosks.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
Card is definitely required when departing from YYZ terminal 1. No access to CATSA priority security lines (even when flying in paid business class) *or* Global Entry kiosk access without. (And don't ask why; you will be threatened with having your GE status revoked.)
Originally Posted by abaheti
Yeah, they were a lot cooler about this at YUL one time when I forgot my Global Entry card. I told them I had Global Entry card and they were apologetic that I could not go through the Trusted Traveler screening lane but once I cleared the checkpoint I could walk over to the kiosks.

Way more strict at YYZ T1. They will almost always not let you approach the kiosk without presentation of the GE card (and often matching passport + BP).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.