Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Precheck In Reality

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Most recent case was a colleague who usually flies UA. She had enrolled in pre-check via UA and always gets pre-check when flying UA. Then she also enrolled through TSA and got a KTN. On Wednesday she flew AA and entered her KTN is the reservation. She even called AA ahead of time to make sure the KTN was in the record. She copied her name and DOB directly off her TSA enrollment info. She did not get pre-check in this case.
I don't know if this well help or not, but next time she doesn't get Pre on her BP, send a tweet to AskTSA.

Their responses indicate that if you DM them your name and PNR info, they'll address it. There have been replies from people indicating that someone actually did sort the problem out between the time the pax checked in and the time they took their flight.

As others have noted, it seems unlikely, but she should compare the info in her UA profile with the info in her AA profile. It is possible that there's a typo or 'inconsistent' information somewhere.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I got GE in April of last year. Since then I've only missed Precheck on my BPs on one trip, and it was only on the return portion of it and that's out of probably three dozen trips.
Old May 31, 2016, 5:24 pm

Returning home from EWR, Terminal C/United. Pre-check was upstairs from the regular line. More people than I'd ever seen in Pre but took less than 10 minutes. 4 pass checkers, four bag xrays, two metal detectors. Very quick and courteous.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mtbscott
Returning home from EWR, Terminal C/United. Pre-check was upstairs from the regular line. More people than I'd ever seen in Pre but took less than 10 minutes. 4 pass checkers, four bag xrays, two metal detectors. Very quick and courteous.
That is the key to Pre-Check. People whine about the length of the line, but that is irrelevant. Pre-Check can process 7-8 passengers for every mere mortal. Thus, a Pre-Check line which is 7 times the length of the steerage line will get you through the checkpoint at the same time.
RandomBaritone likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Angry

Originally Posted by Often1
That is the key to Pre-Check. People whine about the length of the line, but that is irrelevant. Pre-Check can process 7-8 passengers for every mere mortal. Thus, a Pre-Check line which is 7 times the length of the steerage line will get you through the checkpoint at the same time.
I hope this continues to stay true. One of the problems with CATSA (Canadian equivalent of TSA Pre-check) is that all the newer newbie agents are first stationed at these "trusted traveler" lines to gain experience - I imagine "trusted travelers" are less hassle and if a newer newbie agent makes a mistake it would be less of a security breach. What ends up happening is that these lines end up moving slower than the regular lines, not because of the passengers, but because of the staff!
Old May 20, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
I hope this continues to stay true. One of the problems with CATSA (Canadian equivalent of TSA Pre-check) is that all the newer newbie agents are first stationed at these "trusted traveler" lines to gain experience - I imagine "trusted travelers" are less hassle and if a newer newbie agent makes a mistake it would be less of a security breach. What ends up happening is that these lines end up moving slower than the regular lines, not because of the passengers, but because of the staff!
And a mistreated passenger is less likely to complain because they don't want to lose their status.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by am1108
I have been interested for a while in joining TSA Precheck although I did have questions:

1) What is the success rate getting TSA Precheck on your boarding pass? I have been a little weary in joining since it seems that if you join it only seems to increase the chance to use Precheck not really have it 100% of the time.

2) Are the TSA Precheck lines always short?

3) Are there any other issues with TSA Precheck that doesn't make it worth buying?

I finally want to make a jump on joining since I was almost late due to a long security line in Reno (about a month ago) and I saw that they had a Precheck line opened (3-4 agents staffing the lane) and about a couple of people went through fairly quickly while the regular line was about 40-50 minutes long. I barely made that flight, in fact they closed the door right after I went through Phew!

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Although I know that Global Entry is only $85 more, I don't want to spend the extra money since all of my international travel is always with someone who doesn't have GE.
1) Mine is 100% when traveling on airlines that were participating in PreCheck at the time. What's enormously helpful is if you add your TTN to all of your frequent flyer accounts so it's automatically populated when you buy your ticket.

2) No, but they move fast, and they're always shorter than the general security line. The only issue I've run into with a long and slow-moving line was flying out of PHX, when there were a lot of people without PreCheck trying to go through the PreCheck line for some reason.

3) I can't think of a single one.

As for GE, we've flown internationally 4 times in the past two years, and each time, clearing immigration and customs using the kiosk has been so quick, I wouldn't dream of paying for GE.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent post asking about senior citizens with foreign passports receiving PreCheck designations on their boarding passes was moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
MDFFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Question, since the TSA site is light on details: We don't have to take out 3-1-1 liquids, according to the website. Do we need to still have them bagged in that manner? Should we still do it anyway, just in case?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by aresef
Question, since the TSA site is light on details: We don't have to take out 3-1-1 liquids, according to the website. Do we need to still have them bagged in that manner? Should we still do it anyway, just in case?
Yes, I believe you do. And even if not, its probably good to do it that way anyway, for example, what if the precheck lane is closed.
aresef and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
I am frequently at airports that have CLEAR and my experience at those locations was sufficiently disappointing that I decided that it was worth getting CLEAR on top of Pre. Make of that what you will.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
1) Mine is 100% when traveling on airlines that were participating in PreCheck at the time. What's enormously helpful is if you add your TTN to all of your frequent flyer accounts so it's automatically populated when you buy your ticket.

2) No, but they move fast, and they're always shorter than the general security line. The only issue I've run into with a long and slow-moving line was flying out of PHX, when there were a lot of people without PreCheck trying to go through the PreCheck line for some reason.

3) I can't think of a single one.

As for GE, we've flown internationally 4 times in the past two years, and each time, clearing immigration and customs using the kiosk has been so quick, I wouldn't dream of paying for GE.
I can't imagine paying $85 for Pre-Check rather than springing for the extra $15 for GE.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
I can't imagine paying $85 for Pre-Check rather than springing for the extra $15 for GE.
For some travelers, the nearest location for a Global Entry interview may be many hours farther than the nearest Pre enrollment site. Also, tens of millions of Americans have an arrest record or misdemeanor conviction that will disqualify them from GE but not Pre.
MDFFlyer and RandomBaritone like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by mauve
Also, tens of millions of Americans have an arrest record or misdemeanor conviction that will disqualify them from GE but not Pre.
Or customs violations.
MDFFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by techie
I am frequently at airports that have CLEAR and my experience at those locations was sufficiently disappointing that I decided that it was worth getting CLEAR on top of Pre. Make of that what you will.
If I were at SFO or MCO I'd probably leap for CLEAR at the $99/yr discounted price for general Delta Skymiles members. As it stands - no use for me.

When I had it and tried at HPN, it provided no value, and when I tried it at IAH (which no longer as clear), I found it had value once out of 30+ times at Terminal A, and zero times at the United Terminals over Pre alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.