Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Trusted Traveler Not Receiving PreCheck [merged threads]

Trusted Traveler Not Receiving PreCheck [merged threads]

Old May 15, 2023, 4:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyCO
I have had this problem more than once, and am trying to figure out how to prevent it for the European adventure this summer. A family of 5, all adults, all with either TSA Pre or GE that has worked flawlessly in US for years. The last two time we were in Europe, our return to Denver was routed Europe to US gateway (say MN), then to Denver. Both times on American carriers. Even though TSA Pre/GE numbers are in the reservations, the connecting flight from the US gateway to Denver does not have the TSA Pre/GE number, which then forces us into the regular security line after clearing US customs. Why does this happen? And has anyone figured out a solution? Do I have to call United the day I fly and ask them to add it? Just wanting to see if anyone had any experience with this. Thank you.
just scroll up a couple of posts (#370) for an explanation.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 4:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I've had this happen a couple of times and the easiest solution is to ask the airline staff at bag drop after clearing customs or the airlines check in desk to reissue the BP.
I had a similar issue recently with AA at JFK. Merely reissuing the boarding pass did not do the trick. The agent had to delete the KTN from the PNR and then add it back.
Old May 15, 2023, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Who did you fly EU->US on? If not same carrier as domestic segment, it won't show up. You need to request a BP upon landing from domestic carrier or (if able) pull upp in app.

There was a time when didn't need to do this.
Thanks for the reply- on review it was Delta Paris-MN-Denver and Delta Venice-Newark-Denver in 2018 and 2019. My reading of this long thread that I have landed in suggests that I will just need to go get new boarding passes after clearing customs at ORD. Thanks!

#370 makes sense. thanks to all for the amazingly quick replies!

Last edited by TWA884; May 15, 2023 at 4:55 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member.
Old May 15, 2023, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by seawolf
just scroll up a couple of posts (#370) for an explanation.
AFAIK, there's no more needing to verify signature. The new Precheck system has your flights in their system. If you show up and have 2 flights booked that day from same airport, they will ask which one you are flying.

Think about it, at most US airports they don't even ask for BP anymore, just ID.
SPN Lifer and TWA884 like this.
Old May 15, 2023, 5:21 pm

Thanks for the reply- on review it was Delta Paris-MN-Denver and Delta Venice-Newark-Denver in 2018 and 2019. My reading of this long thread that I have landed in suggests that I will just need to go get new boarding passes after clearing customs at ORD. Thanks!

#370 makes sense. thanks to all for the amazingly quick replies!
DL/UA (I assume you mean UA for the 2nd trip) most definitely issue Precheck on connection BP if TSA approves. How long was the connection in MSP/EWR? It possible you were too far out for TSA to give Precheck approval for the connection.

And I will keep this in mind!

It was about a two hour layover each time.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 15, 2023 at 6:19 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member
Old May 16, 2023, 12:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AFAIK, there's no more needing to verify signature. The new Precheck system has your flights in their system. If you show up and have 2 flights booked that day from same airport, they will ask which one you are flying.

Think about it, at most US airports they don't even ask for BP anymore, just ID.
Is ID scanner 100% rolled out at all TSA locations? If not, then the authentication signature is needed. Back in January, it was not 100% (at LGA). Not sure what the current status is. Supposedly in Q1 2023.

Once it is done, it is very possible post #370 is still relevant until the airline updates their systems in that the BP does not reflect Pre (because airline systems know the authentication signature cannot be handled at foreign airports) but in reality the passenger does qualify for it on the domestic segments. The problem then becomes a domestic BP is false negative for Pre and line monitors prevent access to the Pre lanes.

Last edited by seawolf; May 16, 2023 at 12:56 am
Old May 16, 2023, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by seawolf
Is ID scanner 100% rolled out at all TSA locations? If not, then the authentication signature is needed.
No, the CAT machines aren't at every airport...yet. Also, for those that do have it, I have experienced several where the machines are down or they decide to have pax scan BPs instead.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:01 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by TWA884
I had a similar issue recently with AA at JFK. Merely reissuing the boarding pass did not do the trick. The agent had to delete the KTN from the PNR and then add it back.
That's how it usually works. Basically have to uncheck, add back, and then ping the DHS system again to get a response. It isn't a continual update.. runs at certain intervals unless an agent initiates by changing something and checking in again. From what an agent told me once, they have to do it this way because otherwise they end up on some naughty list because changing other fields around makes it look like they are trying to game the database.

This has me wondering... United recently introduced (re-introduced?) the ability for customers to uncheck themselves from a flight. I wonder if one could resolve this themselves on the UA app by unchecking themselves from the flight and checking back in?
Old May 16, 2023, 4:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JAXPax

This has me wondering... United recently introduced (re-introduced?) the ability for customers to uncheck themselves from a flight. I wonder if one could resolve this themselves on the UA app by unchecking themselves from the flight and checking back in?
UA’s introduction and reintroduction of that unchecking in feature has sometimes worked for my travel party members and I to use to get PreCheck when — for whatever reason — the checking in for Europe-US-___ hasn’t initially included PreCheck for the continuing flight segments from the US airports of entry. In some cases, have had PreCheck boarding passes for the Europe-US segments but not for the continuing flight segments from US airports of entry. Either way, when all else fails to get PreCheck on the international itineraries’ onward flights from the US airports of entry, it’s off to a manual check-in agent to have the airline agent do what is covered in post #371’s second and third paragraphs: “the KTN is removed by the airline in the US and reloaded for re-checking-in the passengers to push out a new boarding pass” to get a PreCheck boarding pass for the flights from the US airports of entry.
Old May 16, 2023, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JAXPax
That's how it usually works. Basically have to uncheck, add back, and then ping the DHS system again to get a response. It isn't a continual update.. runs at certain intervals unless an agent initiates by changing something and checking in again. From what an agent told me once, they have to do it this way because otherwise they end up on some naughty list because changing other fields around makes it look like they are trying to game the database.

It depends. Most times issue is that TSA has already given Pre, just that another airline printed BP. A BP printed by one airline won't have Pre for any segments operated by OALs. (They originally did do this)

When flying one airline for both segments, in general Pre should show on the connecting BP.

Even if airline marks you as SSSS for the inbound to US, if TSA has granted Pre on connection it has Pre, it's just been supressed from showing. Most (but not all) SSSS inbound to US is simply random selection by airline, TSA actually granted Pre,but airline suppresses printing Pre and instead prints SSSS on BP for flight to US. As Pre was suppressed by airline, need to be rechecked in. As there will no longer be SSSS to suppress Pre, it will now appear.

Basically if flying same airline (and checking in with them) your connection should show Pre. Only exception being when SSSS is involved.

When another airline does checkin and prints BP, it won't show till you can get BP from the operating airline of connection. There shouldn't be a need to recheckin, simply reprinting at kiosk (or pulling up in the app of operating airline) should give a BP that shows Pre. I do this with AF/KL and DL and NH,LH and UA regularly. As soon as airborne I go into the DL or UA app and download BPs, which have Pre on them.

As for CAT, I believe all airports have 1st generation now. There may be some very small airports without, but anything would be flying international into should have it.

Re United - Yes you can. I did it recent when my KTN unbeknownst to me wasn't added to reservation. Simply unchecked in, added, and rechecked back in.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 4:32 pm

As a follow-up, this trip has been completed (Brussels to ORD to DEN all on United). Prior to the trip I called UA to ask them to be sure that our GE/TSA pre numbers were in the reservations. My party was 4 adults. The boarding passes for 3 of us had Pre for the ORD-DEN connection in the UA app as well the printed passes we got in Brussels. I was lucky enough to be SSSS, so I couldn't get any boarding passes until getting to the counter in Brussels. Then my connecting pass for ORD-DEN did not have pre. At ORD, I found an agent wandering around (away from the counter) at customer service, and she added my GE and immediately printed a boarding pass with TSA pre.

I'm not sure what I will do next time- probably will not worry about it unless someone doesn't show TSA Pre in the connecting boarding pass. Thanks to all who chimed in here!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 6:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was lucky enough to be SSSS, so I couldn't get any boarding passes until getting to the counter in Brussels. Then my connecting pass for ORD-DEN did not have pre. At ORD, I found an agent wandering around (away from the counter) at customer service, and she added my GE and immediately printed a boarding pass with TSA pre.

I'm not sure what I will do next time- probably will not worry about it unless someone doesn't show TSA Pre in the connecting boarding pass. Thanks to all who chimed in here!
Take a look at this thread:
Old Jun 15, 2023, 3:54 pm

Since last year I've noticed that TSA PreCheck got dropped for Canadian PRs with NEXUS.
And since every other TSA line has a body scanner and my medical device can't go in there, I need to get a pat down every time.

In SFO last year, I had to wait for 20-30 mins for an agent to free up. My carry-on belongings were abandoned at the end of the conveyor belt and hordes of passengers were invited to skip the body scanner due to it going too slow for the line ups.
When officer hanky-panky showed up, I had to face my carry-on at all time "so that nobody else can take it." I nearly lost my s**t, but remembered I still had a flight to catch.

At LAS this winter, I got an officer that showed up in a timely manner and a good sense of humour (doing a robot dance to invite me to the other side.)
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by YogiB
Since last year I've noticed that TSA PreCheck got dropped for Canadian PRs with NEXUS.
And since every other TSA line has a body scanner and my medical device can't go in there, I need to get a pat down every time.

In SFO last year, I had to wait for 20-30 mins for an agent to free up. My carry-on belongings were abandoned at the end of the conveyor belt and hordes of passengers were invited to skip the body scanner due to it going too slow for the line ups.
When officer hanky-panky showed up, I had to face my carry-on at all time "so that nobody else can take it." I nearly lost my s**t, but remembered I still had a flight to catch.

At LAS this winter, I got an officer that showed up in a timely manner and a good sense of humour (doing a robot dance to invite me to the other side.)
You should be allowed to use the WTMD if declining due to medical reasons, but with a swab afterward. Ie family member can't raise arms. They tell agent this, agent has them go through WTMD and then they swab hands (or cell instead sometimes). Declining for medical reasons is different from declining cause you simply don't want to use the scanner.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:17 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Note - Topic Drift

Folks,

While some natural deviation from the subject matter of the thread is fine, please let's keep the focus of the discussion on the topic of Trusted Travelers not receiving the PreCheck designation on their boarding passes.

Alternative screening of travelers with medical issues or devices is a subject for the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum.

Future off-topic messages will be summarily deleted without further notice.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.