Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Trusted Traveler Not Receiving PreCheck [merged threads]

Trusted Traveler Not Receiving PreCheck [merged threads]

Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
As indicated in my prior posts, being a Trusted Traveler does not guarantee you Pre.
I know they say it's not guaranteed, but I've had PreCheck on 100% of boarding passes since getting NEXUS over 10 years ago (and same for my wife). The only time I've gone through regular security in that time was with a gate pass to accompany a disabled relative. Apparently it wasn't possible to add a KTN to a gate pass, or the agent didn't know how.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Rare
Apparently it wasn't possible to add a KTN to a gate pass, or the agent didn't know how.
Two different airlines, 6 times 3 different terminals (B6 moved out of LGA MAT) couldn't get KTN added to the gate pass to drop off/pick up a UM.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 11:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rare
I know they say it's not guaranteed, but I've had PreCheck on 100% of boarding passes since getting NEXUS over 10 years ago (and same for my wife). The only time I've gone through regular security in that time was with a gate pass to accompany a disabled relative. Apparently it wasn't possible to add a KTN to a gate pass, or the agent didn't know how.
I've been SSSSed as Trusted Traveler. Yes it is rare.

However the context of the discussion is back in post 356 and 360

Short of some airline bug/limitation preventing the inclusion of Pre indicator on the BP, If BP does not indicate Pre, it means a Trusted Traveler does not have Pre for that flight. Flashing the TTP card or announcing you are Trusted Traveler does not give passenger access to Pre.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
While that's true, I am a little tired of the "being a Trusted Traveler doesn't entitle you to Pre" mantra. It is extremely rare for you to actually be denied Pre, and so trotting out that excuse is almost always a non-answer that avoids addressing the real issue.

SSSS will legitimately suppress Pre (I have also gotten SSSS with Global Entry). Every single other time I have had Pre not print on a BP, it has been an airline computer issue where some combination of (re-)entering my KTN, re-doing checkin, and otherwise "refreshing" the airline's system resulting in a BP that correctly showed Pre.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Coming from Tel Aviv, my boarding cards to JFK the continuation flight to LAX did not have the PreCheck designator. It did not matter in TLV.

At JFK, I went to a self-serve kiosk to get a new boarding pass for my flight to LAX. It also did not have the PreCheck designator. I then went to see an agent at the check-in counter. She asked for my KTN, I showed her my GE card. It took her a couple of minutes of typing and she handed me a new boarding pass with the PreCheck designator. It made a huge difference, as the regular TSA line was quite long.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TWA884
Coming from Tel Aviv, my boarding cards to JFK the continuation flight to LAX did not have the PreCheck designator. It did not matter in TLV.

At JFK, I went to a self-serve kiosk to get a new boarding pass for my flight to LAX. It also did not have the PreCheck designator. I then went to see an agent at the check-in counter. She asked for my KTN, I showed her my GE card. It took her a couple of minutes of typing and she handed me a new boarding pass with the PreCheck designator. It made a huge difference, as the regular TSA line was quite long.
Did you reach out to TSA on Twitter? Odd that so many folks seem to be having the KTN stripped from records on inbound INTL reservations.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:25 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Did you reach out to TSA on Twitter? Odd that so many folks seem to be having the KTN stripped from records on inbound INTL reservations.
I would go with the airline not TSA. I don't see TSA having capability to remove the KTN from airline PNR.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
It was the first time that it happened to me; pre Covid, I was taking 4-6 international trips a year. The agent said that it happens now and then. My wife and daughter did not have the issue. It was quicker to see an agent than to Tweet TSA.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by seawolf
I would go with the airline not TSA. I don't see TSA having capability to remove the KTN from airline PNR.
Normally I would agree. However, TSA is able to see a lot of stuff on their end (as discussed many times before on FT) and has been helpful when this happens.

It was the first time that it happened to me; pre Covid, I was taking 4-6 international trips a year. The agent said that it happens now and then. My wife and daughter did not have the issue. It was quicker to see an agent than to Tweet TSA.
Understandable. May always be worth a shot post trip.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:10 pm
Original Member

Normally I would agree. However, TSA is able to see a lot of stuff on their end (as discussed many times before on FT) and has been helpful when this happens.
TSA seeing (read-only) the entire PNR is different than reading and writing the PNR and more complex to implement from a system integration perspective. I can't envision any scenario where TSA would need to modify airline PNR records.

More likely from prior data points and personal experience is airline is encoding the barcode differently for non-US related itinerary and/or printed at non US airports so that the BP barcode works with the non-US BP scanners.

In order to effectuate Pre for print-at-home/mobile BPs, the barcode has to cryptography signed to prevent tampering. If you scan the print-at-home BP/QR code for a US flight with Pre, you will find a a long string of gibberish text at the end. That is the signature. TSA scanners uses the airline cryptography public key and the BP signature to detect barcode tampering and to confirm Pre eligible for the BP.

BP scanners outside of US do not have these airline public keys nor are they even trying to detect tampering to begin with. As a result, encoding the barcode/QR code with the signature could result in non-US scanners failing to read the BP. Thus BP from foreign ports don't have Pre even for the domestic segment. The KTN is still intact on the PNR.

When I scan my past BP from CX/KL (as an example) for flights not originating US, there is no signature. BP for US flight includes the tamper resistant signature.
SPN Lifer and findark like this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It’s not TSA stripping out KTN entries from US-bound international reservations.

Even with the KTN properly entered in the flight record for the US-bound international trip the entire time, PreCheck sometimes doesn’t show up on boarding passes for the onward domestic connection unless and until the KTN is removed by the airline in the US and reloaded for re-checking-in the passengers to push out a new boarding pass. There are different reasons why PreCheck doesn’t show up in such cases but then appears following from the KTN field being emptied by the airline agents and reloaded for re-checking in the passengers to push out new boarding passes.

I go through this quite a bit. Never would waste my time dealing with the TSA in such situations, as the airline agents in the US can fix it by doing what I indicate above. And the airline reps fix it even faster nowadays than when USAirways was around.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
tl;dr - anyone else having issues with KTN and Pre-Check when booking tickets via Concur?

My past few tickets I've booked through Concur have resulted them sending over incomplete e-mail and KTN to UA. Both my KTN in the profile sections in Concur and UA are correct. As soon as the reservation is visible on UA's website, I make the corrections. When doing on-line check-in, the KTN is once again not correct (missing two digits). In one instance, I corrected it to the right KTN, and I was given Pre-Check. The other instance, I corrected it, and I didn't get Pre-Check. When I sent a DM to TSA via Twitter with my details, they said that the KTN was incorrected in the reservation.
Flew again in February, and my Concur-purchased UA tickets got me Pre-Check without issue. I'm guessing there was a glitch in the matrix for a while.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 10:27 am

TSA Pre/GE not appearing on US domestic connection from Europe

I have had this problem more than once, and am trying to figure out how to prevent it for the European adventure this summer. A family of 5, all adults, all with either TSA Pre or GE that has worked flawlessly in US for years. The last two time we were in Europe, our return to Denver was routed Europe to US gateway (say MN), then to Denver. Both times on American carriers. Even though TSA Pre/GE numbers are in the reservations, the connecting flight from the US gateway to Denver does not have the TSA Pre/GE number, which then forces us into the regular security line after clearing US customs. Why does this happen? And has anyone figured out a solution? Do I have to call United the day I fly and ask them to add it? Just wanting to see if anyone had any experience with this. Thank you.
Old May 15, 2023, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyCO
I have had this problem more than once, and am trying to figure out how to prevent it for the European adventure this summer. A family of 5, all adults, all with either TSA Pre or GE that has worked flawlessly in US for years. The last two time we were in Europe, our return to Denver was routed Europe to US gateway (say MN), then to Denver. Both times on American carriers. Even though TSA Pre/GE numbers are in the reservations, the connecting flight from the US gateway to Denver does not have the TSA Pre/GE number, which then forces us into the regular security line after clearing US customs. Why does this happen? And has anyone figured out a solution? Do I have to call United the day I fly and ask them to add it? Just wanting to see if anyone had any experience with this. Thank you.
Who did you fly EU->US on? If not same carrier as domestic segment, it won't show up. You need to request a BP upon landing from domestic carrier or (if able) pull upp in app.

There was a time when didn't need to do this.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I've had this happen a couple of times and the easiest solution is to ask the airline staff at bag drop after clearing customs or the airlines check in desk to reissue the BP.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.