Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Trusted Traveler Not Receiving PreCheck [merged threads]

Trusted Traveler Not Receiving PreCheck [merged threads]

Old May 14, 2022, 2:29 pm
  #346  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Programs: TK Elite, Star Alliance Gold
Posts: 1,216
I've had TSA tell me that even though I have GE, Pre-check is not always a given.

If I am TSA PreCheck® eligible, am I guaranteed expedited screening?

No, TSA uses unpredictable security measures, both seen and unseen, throughout the airport. All travelers will be screened, and no individual is guaranteed expedited screening.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequentl...teed-expedited

Maybe it was just a one-off.
RetiredATLATC is offline  
Old May 21, 2022, 10:27 am
  #347  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 20
if there has been a time period between expiry of global entry and its renewal (PASS ID remains the same) is it worth removing the KTN from the airlines online profile and putting it back on to ensure access to precheck is there?

Hope that makes sense
munchybunch is offline  
Old May 29, 2022, 11:08 pm
  #348  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 5
Hello,

I recently got my nexus approved (May 21). It's a first time NEXUS. I was told I would get TSA Pre with it. However, when I flew last week (before activating my card), I did not get Pre Check. In fact, the airlines could not even find my KTN/PassID when they checked on their side. I have received and activated my card today. I have two questions:
1. Do we get TSA Pre and Global Entry with NEXUS only after activating it?
2. Where can I check my TSA Pre status if I got it through NEXUS? When I go to universalenroll dot dhs dot gov website, it says no record with my details exists.

Thank You.
paypalad is offline  
Old May 30, 2022, 12:01 am
  #349  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: oneword Emerald
Posts: 20,310
Originally Posted by paypalad
In fact, the airlines could not even find my KTN/PassID when they checked on their side.

1. Do we get TSA Pre and Global Entry with NEXUS only after activating it?
Did you add your PASSID or Known Traveler Number to your reservation?

Please refer to the following thread:
TWA884 is offline  
Old May 30, 2022, 12:09 am
  #350  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 5
Yes, I addedd my PASSID to the reservation before check-in.
paypalad is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:01 pm
  #351  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Away offshore
Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
Posts: 246
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
I've had TSA tell me that even though I have GE, Pre-check is not always a given.
Maybe it was just a one-off.
I had precheck on my boarding pass flying with Porter this weekend BOS-YTZ, but when I got to the checkpoint TSA said it wasn't showing in their system and I had to do standard screening. Figured it was just a one-off with a new airline, but I just checked in online for my return flight on AC YYZ-EWR and got SSSS'd. Ugh, fingers crossed it's just a two-off I guess.
ssb2045 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:12 pm
  #352  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,156
I travel enough to know to include my KTN with the reservation. In this case, I was flying AA and I noticed the TSA Pre symbol was not on the boarding pass. This was pointed out to the check in agent and she asked for my Nexus card to double verify in the system. She re-printed the boarding pass but the TSA Pre logo was still not showing up for whatever reason. Maybe a glitch in the airline computer system? This has happened infrequently in the past. All I needed to do was to present my Nexus at the TSA Pre check point to say the airline was unable to print the TSA Pre logo. The agent would take my Nexus card, put it through the scanner. When it returned with the loud beep, the agent would just wave me through as any competent agent knew Nexus is entitled to TSA Pre. It appears that in this case, the TSA agent did exactly in accordance with the rule, which is fine but its amusing that the TSA agent appeared to trust the airline more than the positive signal of its own scanning verification device. Next time, I shall wait at the check in counter until the airline agent is able to print the TSA logo on the boarding pass. I would suggest everyone experiencing this issue to do the same. On my next leg ex-SFO, the TSA Pre logo was printed on the boarding pass without any problem.
Clipper801 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:17 pm
  #353  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,610
Originally Posted by Clipper801
I travel enough to know to include my KTN with the reservation. In this case, I was flying AA and I noticed the TSA Pre symbol was not on the boarding pass. This was pointed out to the check in agent and she asked for my Nexus card to double verify in the system. She re-printed the boarding pass but the TSA Pre logo was still not showing up for whatever reason. Maybe a glitch in the airline computer system? This has happened infrequently in the past. All I needed to do was to present my Nexus at the TSA Pre check point to say the airline was unable to print the TSA Pre logo. The agent would take my Nexus card, put it through the scanner. When it returned with the loud beep, the agent would just wave me through as any competent agent knew Nexus is entitled to TSA Pre. It appears that in this case, the TSA agent did exactly in accordance with the rule, which is fine but its amusing that the TSA agent appeared to trust the airline more than the positive signal of its own scanning verification device. Next time, I shall wait at the check in counter until the airline agent is able to print the TSA logo on the boarding pass. I would suggest everyone experiencing this issue to do the same. On my next leg ex-SFO, the TSA Pre logo was printed on the boarding pass without any problem.
Trusted Traveller does not entitle Pre. Even Pre Check enrolled does not entitle Pre.

https://www.tsa.gov/node/2904
SPN Lifer likes this.
seawolf is offline  
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:43 pm
  #354  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: oneword Emerald
Posts: 20,310
Originally Posted by Clipper801
I travel enough to know to include my KTN with the reservation. In this case, I was flying AA and I noticed the TSA Pre symbol was not on the boarding pass. This was pointed out to the check in agent and she asked for my Nexus card to double verify in the system. She re-printed the boarding pass but the TSA Pre logo was still not showing up for whatever reason. Maybe a glitch in the airline computer system?
PreCheck is not guaranteed.

If I am TSA PreCheck® eligible, am I guaranteed expedited screening?
No, TSA uses unpredictable security measures, both seen and unseen, throughout the airport. All travelers will be screened, and no individual is guaranteed expedited screening.
TWA884 is offline  
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:30 pm
  #355  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 21,350
tl;dr - anyone else having issues with KTN and Pre-Check when booking tickets via Concur?

My past few tickets I've booked through Concur have resulted them sending over incomplete e-mail and KTN to UA. Both my KTN in the profile sections in Concur and UA are correct. As soon as the reservation is visible on UA's website, I make the corrections. When doing on-line check-in, the KTN is once again not correct (missing two digits). In one instance, I corrected it to the right KTN, and I was given Pre-Check. The other instance, I corrected it, and I didn't get Pre-Check. When I sent a DM to TSA via Twitter with my details, they said that the KTN was incorrected in the reservation.
pseudoswede is offline  
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:35 pm
  #356  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,156
Originally Posted by seawolf
Trusted Traveller does not entitle Pre. Even Pre Check enrolled does not entitle Pre.

https://www.tsa.gov/node/2904
Maybe you are unfamiliar with Nexus. TSA Pre comes with the Nexus card. If one is approved for Nexus, the cardholder "automatically" gets TSA Pre. In my case, it appears the issue originated at AA when its system would not print the TSA Pre despite having my KTN on file, for whatever reason. It may also be a case as TWA884 pointed that even for those with TSA Pre, they may still be randomly directed to the "regular" line. So the lesson learnt here (for me at least) is not to leave the check-in counter and ask the agent to double check!

Originally Posted by TWA884
Interesting. Thanks for the reference.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 26, 2023 at 2:30 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Clipper801 is offline  
Old Jan 26, 2023, 6:20 pm
  #357  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,610
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Maybe you are unfamiliar with Nexus. TSA Pre comes with the Nexus card. If one is approved for Nexus, the cardholder "automatically" gets TSA Pre. In my case, it appears the issue originated at AA when its system would not print the TSA Pre despite having my KTN on file, for whatever reason. It may also be a case as TWA884 pointed that even for those with TSA Pre, they may still be randomly directed to the "regular" line. So the lesson learnt here (for me at least) is not to leave the check-in counter and ask the agent to double check!



Interesting. Thanks for the reference.
TTP/Pre enrollment increases your chances for TSA Pre, it does not entitle you to it.

Determination for Pre is made by DHS/TSA for each flight. If Pre is approved, the airline would encode the PreCheck indicator onto the BP barcode and print a Pre logo as well.

So it is possible TSA approved you for Pre for this fight but AA had issues encoding/printing the logo. So in this scenario, if the checkpoint was a scan ID-only but not BP model, then any of your identification including DL/passport would have pulled your trip from TSA records showing you were approved for Pre. If this was a traditional scan BP checkpoint and BP didn't have Pre indicator, you are not entitled to Pre even if presenting a TTP card.

Again being enrolled in TTP/Pre and/or presenting a TTP card does not entitle you to Pre.

Here is the link again in case you didn't open it the first time. https://www.tsa.gov/node/2904
SPN Lifer likes this.
seawolf is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:31 am
  #358  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lawrence, KS
Programs: AA, UA, DL
Posts: 268
We renewed our passports recently and my husband renewed his global entry. I was given TSA pre-check but not my husband. Thinking it is because of his renewal of BOTH his passport and his global entry. After this trip I will be renewing my global entry and then I will know for sure if this is the case.
liwarren is offline  
Old Feb 20, 2023, 9:15 pm
  #359  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,156
Originally Posted by seawolf
TTP/Pre enrollment increases your chances for TSA Pre, it does not entitle you to it.

Determination for Pre is made by DHS/TSA for each flight. If Pre is approved, the airline would encode the PreCheck indicator onto the BP barcode and print a Pre logo as well.

So it is possible TSA approved you for Pre for this fight but AA had issues encoding/printing the logo. So in this scenario, if the checkpoint was a scan ID-only but not BP model, then any of your identification including DL/passport would have pulled your trip from TSA records showing you were approved for Pre. If this was a traditional scan BP checkpoint and BP didn't have Pre indicator, you are not entitled to Pre even if presenting a TTP card.

Again being enrolled in TTP/Pre and/or presenting a TTP card does not entitle you to Pre.

Here is the link again in case you didn't open it the first time. https://www.tsa.gov/node/2904

NEXUS Details - screen shot from the official TTP web site. See red arrow. TSA Pre is one of the stated benefits of the Nexus card.

Last edited by Clipper801; Feb 20, 2023 at 9:22 pm
Clipper801 is offline  
Old Feb 20, 2023, 10:26 pm
  #360  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,610
Originally Posted by Clipper801
NEXUS Details - screen shot from the official TTP web site. See red arrow. TSA Pre is one of the stated benefits of the Nexus card.
Please read thru TSA Pre FAQ - https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/faq as well as DHS Privacy Impact Assessment - https://www.dhs.gov/publication/dhst...cation-program.

Focus on the questions:
If I am TSA PreCheck® eligible, am I guaranteed expedited screening?
No, TSA uses unpredictable security measures, both seen and unseen, throughout the airport. All travelers will be screened, and no individual is guaranteed expedited screening
Can I access the TSA PreCheck® lane by showing my Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI card or TSA PreCheck® approval notification?

No. To receive TSA PreCheck®, you must include your Known Traveler Number (your CBP PASSID for Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI members) in the appropriate field of your airline reservation, and the TSA PreCheck® indicator must be displayed on the boarding pass to access the lanes.
I am no longer receiving TSA PreCheck® on my boarding pass. How can I access TSA PreCheck®?

If you consistently do not receive TSA PreCheck®, please call the TSA Contact Center at (866) 289-9673, submit an online form, or contact us at @AskTSA on Twitter and Facebook Messenger.

Please be aware that if you have violated certain federal security regulations, including TSA security regulations, your access to TSA PreCheck® screening will be suspended. The duration of suspension from participation in TSA PreCheck® is related to the seriousness of the violation and/or a repeated history of regulatory violations.
Page 5 of TSA Pre Privacy Impact Assessment
To be eligible for expedited screening in a TSA Pre✓® lane, the passenger will need to provide his or her KTN to the airline when making flight reservations. When the airline sends the passenger’s Secure Flight Passenger Data (SFPD) that includes a KTN to the Secure Flight passenger prescreening system, TSA will compare that information against the TSA Pre✓® Application Program list (as well as watch lists) in Secure Flight before issuing an appropriate boarding pass printing instruction. If the passenger’s identifying information matches the entry on the TSA Pre✓® Application Program list, the passenger may be eligible for expedited screening, except that watch list matches will receive screening appropriate for their watch list status.

Enrollment into the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, and use of the associated KTN, does not guarantee that an individual always will receive expedited screening at airport security checkpoints. The program retains a component of randomness to maintain the element of unpredictability for security purposes. Accordingly, persons who have been enrolled in the TSA Pre✓® Application Program may be randomly selected for standard physical screening on occasion. In addition, although the number of TSA Pre✓® lanes at U.S. airports is increasing, TSA Pre✓® expedited screening is not yet available for all airports, all times, all airlines, or all flights.
As indicated in my prior posts, being a Trusted Traveler does not guarantee you Pre. Even a Pre member does not guarantee Pre.
seawolf is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.