Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Trusted Traveler Not Receiving PreCheck [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by matt85
To add some context: The reason I'm asking is that I've entered my KTN on the next reservation, and did the check in today, but the boarding pass doesn't show TSA Pre. I just got approved four days ago, but I was told this is immediately active. So I'm looking for another reason why it didn't apply it to the boarding pass.
Global Entry is immediate, but not necessarily TSA PreCheck. Having Global Entry does not guarantee 100% TSA PreCheck. At lobby kiosk, you may wish to reprint your boarding pass and see if you get lucky.

Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
To add some context: The reason I'm asking is that I've entered my KTN on the next reservation, and did the check in today, but the boarding pass doesn't show TSA Pre. I just got approved four days ago, but I was told this is immediately active. So I'm looking for another reason why it didn't apply it to the boarding pass.
If by "next reservation" you mean you added it to your reservation and then checked in the same reservation and didn't have it, make sure your name as ticketed matches your passport/as you signed up for GE, and there's a slim possibility that it doesn't show up anyways.

If by next reservation you mean a different PNR/record locator, that's sent at time of ticketing. Putting your KTN on your frequent flier profile won't affect existing reservations. Only if the kiosk or check-in screen offers the option to add the KTN at that time (or before that time on the manage reservation screen).

Also did you get an email that your GE was approved? Usually after the interview they push the button for full approval for a few minutes, but sometimes they forget. What does your status show on the Trusted Traveler site for GE?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:23 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by phltraveler
If by "next reservation" you mean you added it to your reservation and then checked in the same reservation and didn't have it, make sure your name as ticketed matches your passport/as you signed up for GE, and there's a slim possibility that it doesn't show up anyways.

If by next reservation you mean a different PNR/record locator, that's sent at time of ticketing. Putting your KTN on your frequent flier profile won't affect existing reservations. Only if the kiosk or check-in screen offers the option to add the KTN at that time (or before that time on the manage reservation screen).
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:04 am

I got it now :-) What I changed is I added my passport information to my AA account. I don't know which data gets submitted for TSA Pre verification, as this is a domestic flight I didn't think my passport mattered. And yes, it was an existing reservation prior to GE approval (for which I received the approval email an hour after the interview). I had added the KTN in the reservation soon after getting the email.

But I refreshed my boarding pass and it now has the TSA Pre mark.
Which raises another question to me: Will I need to identify with my passport in the TSA Pre line or can I continue to use my US drivers license?

Thanks to all for your input!
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I got it now :-) What I changed is I added my passport information to my AA account. I don't know which data gets submitted for TSA Pre verification, as this is a domestic flight I didn't think my passport mattered. And yes, it was an existing reservation prior to GE approval (for which I received the approval email an hour after the interview). I had added the KTN in the reservation soon after getting the email.

Which raises another question to me: Will I need to identify with my passport in the TSA Pre line or can I continue to use my US drivers license?

Your U.S. driver license should suffice or whichever I.D. you usually use.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Now that your issue has been resolved and it had nothing to do with your not being a US citizen or permanent resident, I'll go ahead and merge your question into the consolidated thread discussing trusted travelers not receiving the PreCheck designation on their boarding passed.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:56 pm

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
I suddenly didn't get TSA PreCheck on a recent flight and logged in to find that both my first and middle names are listed under the "Given Name" blank. On my drivers license it is properly listed as first, middle, last. No idea how to do it in my reservations.

My DL was also expired so that might have triggered not getting PreCheck. Fixed that.

I just hope my trip to South America next week doesn't put me through the long line, or prevent me from Global Entry.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:56 am

Why didn't I have a pre-check mark on my boarding pass despite having Nexus?

I had booked my round-trip tickets to Dallas with my KTN. However, when I was trying to get through security at DFW, I was told that I couldn't use the TSA pre-check lane. Is this randomly assigned?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
It's theoretically randomly assigned, usually if you don't get it it's because your KTN is absent, your name (as ticketed) doesn't match your NEXUS card exactly, or in certain cases, travel patterns (I've read about people here on FT specifically traveling to turkey and then getting SSSS or no Precheck for a while). Most people with GE/NEXUS KTN on Ticket get the Precheck indicator almost 100% of the time. (I've never had it fail to show up on over 500 flights in the past 5 years since getting GE and later upgrading to NEXUS [same KTN]).

Your KTN has to be at your source of ticketing. So if you put your KTN on your United.com MileagePlus frequent flier profile and then buy United tickets on Orbitz.com, the KTN won't be transmitted unless you fly it there.

Since KTN is submitted at time of ticketing, it's also not retroactive from when you add it to your profile. If you book a United flight first and then later add your KTN to your MileagePlus profile, the existing ticket won't get the KTN added. Some airlines will let you add the KTN on the reservations page, or at time of check-in - if not, a phone reservations agent or agent at the airport should be able to add it and reprint your boarding pass.

(United is just an example, this applies to any airline.)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:22 am
Aman Contributor Badge

To echo the person above, it could be an issue with the KTN not being properly transmitted or a slight name mismatch. On eligible flights, I don’t think I have ever not gotten precheck since they started including it on the actual boarding pass
Old May 4, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Plat+Amb, AA
GOES/TSA PRE - New Passport - No Pre Check

Hi,

Wondering if any other users have updated their profiles with a new passport and TSA Pre stopped working in March 2018.

I am having this issue, both TSA and CBP initially pointed fingers at each other but now acknowledge a problem but have not fixed it 7 weeks later.

Anyone else experiencing this or have a better update on resolution?

Thoughts on whether an early renew may help correct this?

thanks,

Duck
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:34 pm

My son was approved for Global Entry last Sunday, June 17. Today, June 22, he was not allowed to use TSE-pre line at SJC because he is not in the system yet. Anyone has the same experience?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by kathsj
My son was approved for Global Entry last Sunday, June 17. Today, June 22, he was not allowed to use TSE-pre line at SJC because he is not in the system yet. Anyone has the same experience?
You only get precheck if you correctly include the known traveler number in the airline reservation.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
How was he/you informed he was not in the system yet?
The way PreCheck works is on a reservation your KTN (Known Traveler Number) is placed in the appropriate field at booking or during check-in for a participating airline and if the TSA system grants PreCheck for that flight it will print out on the boarding pass/show on an online boarding pass. PreCheck is not guaranteed but I'm still at 100% for 8 years on participating airline flights. The name on his GE card must match the name on the reservation or the system may not grant PreCheck for that flight/reservation.

Originally Posted by kathsj
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:37 pm

Thanks for the response. Yes, he forgot to update KTN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.