Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Trusted Traveler Not Receiving PreCheck [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trusted Traveler Not Receiving PreCheck [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Your post is now incorrect. It is no longer true for the onward domestic leg; and it's no longer true even for onward international legs from the US.

Saw CPH-LHR-ORD-XYZ come with PreCheck for ORD-XYZ boarding pass issued by the airline at LHR this week too. And I've seen this happen for months now on various other routes too.
If my post is now incorrect, does that mean that it was correct until you read it or was it incorrect when I wrote it or........Was it both correct and incorrect until somebody read it. Holy Schrodinger!

Anyhoo, thanks for catching that.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: free agent
US permanent resident with global entry here. Here's my experience:

- If you put your GE PASS ID in the KTN field, you won't get PreCheck
- If you leave the KTN field blank, you will sometimes get PreCheck

The TSA website changed yesterday (2/24/2014 - see below), and is quite specific about who is eligible. Basically, if you are a foreign citizen with global entry, then you cannot be a permanent resident to be eligible for preCheck. Doesn't make any sense, but I called TSA customer service to confirm. (The cynic in me would say the reason behind this has very little to do with known travelers, and very much to do with $85 PreCheck program application fees)

Travelers that are eligible for TSA Pre✓™ include:

U.S. citizens of frequent flyer programs who meet TSA-mandated criteria and who have been invited by a participating airline.
U.S. citizens with a Known Traveler Number.
U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, and Lawful Permanent Residents who are members of the TSA Pre✓™ application program.
U.S. citizens who are members of a U.S. Customs and Border Protection trusted traveler program, such as Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS.
Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS.
Foreign citizens who are members of Global Entry (see Global Entry eligibility) and not registered as a U.S. lawful permanent resident.
Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves, and National Guard.

Last edited by AlphaTango; Feb 25, 2014 at 7:57 am
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: LH, SPG
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
Foreign citizens who are members of Global Entry (see Global Entry eligibility) and not registered as a U.S. lawful permanent resident.
Welp, that explains me not getting Pre these past few months.

I don't know what sense this makes, but clearly, shoes belonging to GC holders are considered to be more dangerous than nonresident footwear.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:01 pm

1st time

Well returning from my 1st international trip since my GE approval last week and got pre check on both my domestic legs..
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by MSPBC
Thanks for the advice. On TSA pre-check, I have verified by Trusted Traveler number at least twice. Most recently removed it in profile and just re-entered it on an individual ticket (which will travel next week on).

With regards to GE, yes, I get the giant "X" every time. Interesting to note, in my conversations with CBP officials, very friendly, then they always get very serious, look me straight in the eye and ask "have you ever been arrested?" Essentially, if you lie to a CBP officer, you are automatically removed from the program. Same thing happened during my GE interview. For those of us who did a stupid thing in college once and subsequently had record expunged (e.g., in the eyes of the laws of the US - it never happened), it is an easy question to get tripped up on and I am sure that there are some FF out there who have gotten tripped up on it.

I will see if I have better luck with PreCheck in 2014. Otherwise, I am seriously considering dropping GE with the hope that somehow I can "reboot" my PreCheck, but not optimistic about it.
Sorry to bring up this old thread. The same thing happened to me (except my Pre-Check always worked). I also had an arrest which was dismissed and I was later found "factually innocent." However, this was still in the profile and they have to manually delete it after you are approved for GE. It sounds like the Officer who set it up didn't do it right. You might need to provide paperwork showing the case was dismissed.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:11 pm

Me too

I just wanted to comment and say the exact same thing is happening to me. Last year I got pre check every single time, since GE I think I have gotten it once. I have had 3 of 3 X's on entry. The first of which I was asked if I ever had been arrested, he said I would get an X every time since I too had an arrest (charges dropped) when I was 20. The second officer disagreed and said that was bs. The third officer (sent me into inspection secondary) and I was suggested to go back to where I got GE and see if they can fix it. I haven't tried that yet.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by AlphaTango
US permanent resident with global entry here. Here's my experience:

- If you put your GE PASS ID in the KTN field, you won't get PreCheck
- If you leave the KTN field blank, you will sometimes get PreCheck

The TSA website changed yesterday (2/24/2014 - see below), and is quite specific about who is eligible. Basically, if you are a foreign citizen with global entry, then you cannot be a permanent resident to be eligible for preCheck. Doesn't make any sense, but I called TSA customer service to confirm. (The cynic in me would say the reason behind this has very little to do with known travelers, and very much to do with $85 PreCheck program application fees)

Travelers that are eligible for TSA Pre✓™ include:

U.S. citizens of frequent flyer programs who meet TSA-mandated criteria and who have been invited by a participating airline.
U.S. citizens with a Known Traveler Number.
U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, and Lawful Permanent Residents who are members of the TSA Pre✓™ application program.
U.S. citizens who are members of a U.S. Customs and Border Protection trusted traveler program, such as Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS.
Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS.
Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves, and National Guard.
Yeah.. this comparison chart outlines it pretty well - if you have GE, then you automatically get TSA PreCheck benefits, but only if you're a US citizen.

http://www.dhs.gov/comparison-chart

Yet, if you are a permanent resident and already have GE, they still allow you to apply for TSA PreCheck because they're happy to take additional $85 from you...
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:56 pm

LPR with Global Entry but no TSA Pre because...

Citizens of only a few countries, including Canada, can use their Global Entry iPass number for TSA Pre, even if they are LPRs. Apparently the number of countries is being expanded. Being an Australian citizen, and a US LPR, I could not get TSA Pre and could not figure out why. Only way around it is to apply to get a TSA Pre number and go through an additional round of background checks.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by ChrisAUS
Citizens of only a few countries, including Canada, can use their Global Entry iPass number for TSA Pre, even if they are LPRs.
Welcome to FT, but do you have a source?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by mre5765
I think he's referring to Canadians who are LPRs and are NEXUS members. As they are Canadians with NEXUS, they would get Pre.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by dustman81
I think he's referring to Canadians who are LPRs and NEXUS members. They'd get Pre due to having Canadian citizenship with NEXUS.
Possibly.

Regardless, I checked TSA.gov and DHS.gov, and LPRs which are just GE are still not eligible.

Last edited by mre5765; Apr 6, 2014 at 3:26 pm
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I was approved today for Global entry as a Permanent resident of the US. I also have diamond status with Delta airlines so I've been receiving TSA pre check for a few years now. 99% of time.
Now I find out as LPR I am not qualified for TSA pre, should I keep my known travel number off my delta profile to continue getting TSA pre check through being an elite on Delta? Also the officer at GE enrollment told me to add my middle name to my profile even though I don't get TSA pre check. Should I bother changing it since I already do get pre check?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
I cited earlier this thread.

TSA recently decided to extend eligibility to members of Global Entry who are citizens of certain foreign countries.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maduarte
I cited earlier this thread.
You are conflating two things.

An LPR who has GE does not automatically get Pre. He has to either get it through his carrier's FF program or he has to pay the $85 to the TSA and be approved for Pre.

A foreigner who is not an LPR and has GE can get Pre automatically.

A Canadian who is or is not an LPR and has a Nexus can get Pre automatically.

At any rate, my question was to ChrisAUS, who asserted,
"Citizens of only a few countries, including Canada, can use their Global Entry iPass number for TSA Pre, even if they are LPRs."
and he is MIA.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:30 pm

Don't make the same mistake as me...

I am a green card holder and I fly approx 50 times per year. I got TSA-pre approved approx 80% of the time. To improve my statistics I thought I'd apply for Global Entry. Bad idea!! After paying the $100 fee, passing the interview and obtaining my Global Entry card approx 9 months ago I never got pre-selected. It took me many e-mails and phone calls with TSA over the past 9 months to finally find out that Global Entry only gives you access to TSA-pre if you're a citizen. In my case, being a "trusted traveler" now automatically rejects me, even from the lottery system that got me approved 80% of the time before.
I don't understand the logic of the system but find it pretty absurd. They have more data on me but trust me less now than before.

Originally Posted by deep41305
Me and my wife are both US Permanent residents and my daughter is a US Citizen. We were approved for the global entry and received our cards as well. While traveling tomorrow, I noticed that only my daughter received TSA-Pre status from Delta on her boarding pass, but unfortunately, neither me or my wife got the same check mark on ours. I do have added our KTN numbers under Delta profile and it matches correctly with my name on the Delta site and my GE card.

I thought Global Entry approval would automatically get us enrolled into TSA Pre and allow us to use the benefits since TSA Pre allows Legal Permanent Residents to also apply (Posting link from the TSA Pre website below.).

Am I missing anything?

What are the eligibility requirements for TSA Pre✓™?
An individual must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident and cannot have been convicted of certain crimes.

List A – One document is acceptable from the following primary forms of identification:

Permanent Resident Card (I-551) often referred to as a “Green Card” – demonstrates LPR status

List B – Two documents are required from the following secondary forms of identification (with one being a government-issued photo ID and one demonstrating citizenship/immigration status):
Unexpired ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the U.S. This must include a State or State agency seal or logo (such as a State University ID)
U.S. Social Security card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.