Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Only with Participating Airlines [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
The following are the domestic and international TSA Pre✓® Participating Airlines:
  • Advanced Air
  • Aerolane Lineas Aereas Nacionales del Ecuador
  • AeroMexico
  • Air Canada
  • Air Europa
  • Air France
  • Air India
  • Air Premia
  • Air Serbia
  • Air Tahiti Nui
  • Air Transat
  • Alaska Airlines
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Allegiant Air
  • American Airlines
  • Aruba Airlines
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avelo Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Airlines
  • Bahamasair
  • BermudAir
  • Boutique Airlines
  • Breeze Airways
  • British Airways
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Cape Air
  • Cathay Pacific Airways
  • Cayman Airways
  • China Airlines
  • Condor Airlines
  • Contour Aviation
  • Copa Airlines
  • Delta Air Lines
  • Eastern Airlines
  • Edelweiss Air
  • EL AL Israel
  • Emirates
  • Etihad Airways
  • Eurowings Discover
  • EVA Air
  • Fiji Airways
  • Finnair
  • Flair Airlines
  • Flycana
  • French bee
  • Frontier Airlines
  • Global Crossing Airlines
  • Hawaiian Airlines
  • iAero Airways
  • Iberia
  • Icelandair
  • InterCaribbean Airways
  • ITA Airways
  • Japan Airlines
  • JetBlue Airways
  • Key Lime Air
  • KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
  • Korean Air
  • La Compagnie
  • LAN Peru S.A.
  • LATAM Airlines
  • Lufthansa
  • New Pacific Airlines
  • Norse Atlantic Airways
  • Norwegian Air
  • Omni Air International
  • PAL Express
  • Philippine Airlines
  • Porter Airlines
  • Qantas
  • Qatar Airways
  • Scandinavian Airlines
  • Seaborne Airlines
  • Silver Airways
  • Singapore Airlines
  • Southern Airways Express
  • Southwest Airlines
  • Spirit Airlines
  • STARLUX Airlines
  • Sun Country Airlines
  • Sunwing Airlines
  • Swiss International Air Lines
  • Swoop
  • TAM-Linhas Aereas S.A.
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Titan Airways
  • Turkish Airlines
  • Ultimate Jet Charters
  • United Airlines
  • Virgin Atlantic
  • Viva Air Colombia
  • VivaAerobus
  • Volaris
  • Volaris El Salvador
  • WestJet
  • World Atlantic
  • ZIPAIR
Print Wikipost

TSA PreCheck Only with Participating Airlines [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
But as stated by Grog, I don't quite understand why one has to be flying on a participating carrier in the first place. I fail to understand what the choice of carrier that has to do with security?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Airlines must participate because it is NOT true that everyone with GE/PreCheck is entitled to use the PreCheck line every time; it must be indicated on your boarding pass for that airport/flight/day, so that the airline must participate for this to work.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884

But as stated by Grog, I don't quite understand why one has to be flying on a participating carrier in the first place. I fail to understand what the choice of carrier that has to do with security?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Airlines must participate because it is NOT true that everyone with GE/PreCheck is entitled to use the PreCheck line every time; it must be indicated on your boarding pass for that airport/flight/day, so that the airline must participate for this to work.
You've lost me here, TWA884...

I'm asking "why must it be indicated on a boarding pass?" The answer to my question isn't allowed to just be "because it must be indicated on the boarding pass".

At time of scanning my passport at the TSA checkpoint, the agent could be informed of ""Global Entry approved and current" and there could still be a ruling of "yea or nay" in applying Pre✓or not. I know how it works (and doesn't work) today. I'm asking why it's designed this way.

Last edited by Grog; Mar 8, 2016 at 10:38 am
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
IIRC, a participating carrier sends your information to TSA whenever you book a ticket.

A non-participating carrier does not send TSA your information pre-flight.

Does it make sense?

Well, does it make sense that there are two forms of airport security, Pre and regular?

TSA assures us that all pax are thoroughly and comprehensively screened at the checkpoint. Pre is not a 'lesser' form of security screening. Screeners are apparently able to thoroughly screen bags with laptops and LGAs inside with no problem if the bag belongs to a Pre pax. It has never been explained why this same level of convenient thoroughness can't be practiced in the regular lanes.

Checkpoint screening is a physical process. Regardless of your background - trusted traveler, suspect person - everyone is physically screened and cleared of threats.

So why should there be a difference in the way pax are treating, depending on the airline they are flying? If pax are being assessed based on their status as a frequent flyer with an approved airline, that's ridiculous. I fly multiple airlines. I'm a frequent flyer on some, chopped liver on others. Am I somehow less trustworthy on the days I fly a non-participating airline or an airline where I have no status?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by chollie
IIRC, a participating carrier sends your information to TSA whenever you book a ticket.

A non-participating carrier does not send TSA your information pre-flight.

Does it make sense?
Unfortunately, that's not it. Even when US Dept of Defense personnel board their own DoD aircraft, the personal data of travelers (names, passport numbers, ID numbers, KTN) is sent to the TSA prior to take-off, hours in advance. (No Fly List is checked)

Well, does it make sense that there are two forms of airport security, Pre and regular?

TSA assures us that all pax are thoroughly and comprehensively screened at the checkpoint. Pre is not a 'lesser' form of security screening. Screeners are apparently able to thoroughly screen bags with laptops and LGAs inside with no problem if the bag belongs to a Pre pax. It has never been explained why this same level of convenient thoroughness can't be practiced in the regular lanes.
The TSA does not assure us of this, but that's another matter altogether.

Checkpoint screening is a physical process. Regardless of your background - trusted traveler, suspect person - everyone is physically screened and cleared of threats.

So why should there be a difference in the way pax are treating, depending on the airline they are flying? If pax are being assessed based on their status as a frequent flyer with an approved airline, that's ridiculous. I fly multiple airlines. I'm a frequent flyer on some, chopped liver on others. Am I somehow less trustworthy on the days I fly a non-participating airline or an airline where I have no status?
Exactly my questions ^
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:14 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grog
I'm asking "why must it be indicated on a boarding pass?" The answer to my question isn't allowed to just be "because it must be indicated on the boarding pass".
Just because you are enrolled in PreCheck or Global Entry doesn't mean that you're entitled to use the PreCheck line each and every single time that you fly. The airlines electronically share your travel details with the TSA. It is then determined, based upon their algorithms, if you qualify for PreCheck processing for your flight. If you do, it indicated on your boarding pass for a specific date, airport and flight.

Secondly, the GE card can be counterfeited, the barcode on the boarding pass, not so easily.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:10 pm

Just because you are enrolled in PreCheck or Global Entry doesn't mean that you're entitled to use the PreCheck line each and every single time that you fly. The airlines electronically share your travel details with the TSA. It is then determined, based upon their algorithms, if you qualify for PreCheck processing for your flight. If you do, it indicated on your boarding pass for a specific date, airport and flight.

Secondly, the GE card can be counterfeited, the barcode on the boarding pass, not so easily.
I understand that you're outlining the current rituals/routine, but that doesn't bring us anywhere. Again, I don't see the correlation to security (I'm not stupid and yes, I would understand if it were comprehendable). In spite of a long career in the U.S. military as well as follow-on job dealing in personnel security, I'm not able to bend that arc and connect the two dots: current TSA procedurals/infrastructure on one side and security on the other.

The boarding pass is a meaningless document in terms of security measures, in that it's based solely on my own input via keyboard or touchscreen when booking and checking in for a flight. Until I'm face-to-face with a TSA agent at the security post, that boarding pass isn't worth the paper (or phone display) that it's displayed on.

If the GE card can't be trusted for authenticity, why produce it? Can a passport be counterfeited more easily than a boarding pass? Because my passport is the document that I'm presenting to DHS/TSA/CBP when I travel.

From Mike England, TSA’s national spokesman: "The goal [of PreCheck] is to allow people who we know have been vetted to go through security quicker and easier so we can focus on people who have not been vetted."

I'm either high risk or I'm not. I'm not suddenly more of a risk just because I'm about to board a Lufthansa 747 or a Navy C-40 rather than a United 747.

If you're arguing that the TSA should be permitted to hide behind the fact that "it's a secret algorithm" rather than confront potential shortcomings in its programs (and, yes, searching the wrong people too much and too often is a shortcoming), then no scrutiny in the world stands a chance.

Last edited by Grog; Mar 8, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
The boarding pass is a meaningless document in terms of security measures, in that it's based solely on my own input via keyboard or touchscreen when booking and checking in for a flight. Until I'm face-to-face with a TSA agent at the security post, that boarding pass isn't worth the paper (or phone display) that it's displayed on.

If the GE card can't be trusted for authenticity, why produce it? Can a passport be counterfeited more easily than a boarding pass? Because my passport is the document that I'm presenting to DHS/TSA/CBP when I travel.
The GE card is not an issue of authenticity but whether or not the TSA has felt comfortable to give you Precheck for a given trip. For a lot of people they get it close to 100% of the time with their GE PASS ID entered as the Known Traveler Number, but sometimes they don't (particularly if you have an odd travel pattern, e.g. visits to certain countries sometimes stop pre for a while).

The GE card (or passport, or driver's license, etc.) acts as proof of identity.

The boarding pass barcode is digitally signed by the airline via private key and then the barcode scanners verify (using the public key) that the boarding pass barcode is legitimate and hasn't been tampered with by the airline. This ensures the entire contents of the barcode (which has the first, last, and middle names [if applicable], date of travel, travel from/to cities, frequent flier number, and the designator for Pre).

Having GE has never guaranteed Pre. It will give most people with it Pre an overwhelming majority of the time, but the mechanism of determining whether or not you get it is submitting the ticketing info to the TSA (including the KTN) and that is used as an adjustment factor. The reply from the TSA to the airline on whether or not you get Pre is what matters. Since this is just a number on the boarding pass barcode, it is securely protected by digitally signing the boarding pass to ensure it hasn't been tampered between generation and presentation at the checkpoint.

On a US carrier with digitally signed boarding passes it would be harder to fake the boarding pass with a valid digital signature (you would need the private key that the airline uses to sign the boarding passes) than a passport.

From Mike England, TSA’s national spokesman: "The goal [of PreCheck] is to allow people who we know have been vetted to go through security quicker and easier so we can focus on people who have not been vetted."
That's the goal but as part of TSA's commitment to random security measures, not guaranteeing anyone gets expedited screening all the time, etc. it's not an 100% guarantee.

I'm either high risk or I'm not. I'm not suddenly more of a risk just because I'm about to board a Lufthansa 747 or a Navy C-40 rather than a United 747.
Apparently they are not opposed to having foreign carriers on Precheck but they've had trouble convincing them to make the internal changes required for it to work (source):

Originally Posted by Economist.com
There's just one problem: most non-American airlines don't support Precheck. So if you're flying Lufthansa, British Airways, Air France, Korean, or any of the other big foreign airlines, you're out of luck—you'll have to wait in the normal security line with everyone else. As of now, Air Canada is the only exception. TSA officials told the Associated Press in April that they were working to convince international airlines to join the programme. But so far, they've had no luck. I recently asked Ross Feinstein, a spokesman for the agency, for an update. Here's what he told me in an email:

Originally Posted by TSA Spokesman
TSA considers many factors in determining which airlines are best suited for inclusion in TSA Pre✓™, including, but not limited to, IT infrastructure and an airline’s technical capabilities related to submitting required passenger data to TSA. TSA continues to work proactively with other major carriers that operate in the United States.TSA is always looking for more opportunities to provide the most effective security in the most efficient way possible. Expanding TSA Pre✓™ to international carriers that have a large presence in the United States has been a long term goal. TSA Pre✓™ is currently available for passengers traveling domestically within the United States and for international travel when departing on an airline and from a U.S. airport that participates in TSA Pre✓™.
Without the mechanism to submit the right info (e.g. KTN for GE/NEXUS holders) to the TSA, and to get the response from the TSA & encode it in the boarding pass with a digital signature, it's worthless because IATA BCBP compliant barcodes are based on an open standard. Without the digital signature it would be very easy to modify the 0/1 to a 3 for 3 beeps on the boarding bass barcode for precheck.

Additionally, on verifying the travel documents front, TSA has spent money to assess it and is looking to start deploying it to airports:
Originally Posted by GAO
--In addition to testing new procedures for low-risk populations, TSA is also employing technology to automatically verify passenger identification documents and boarding passes, providing TSA with a greater ability to identify altered or fraudulent documents. This technology, known as Credential Authentication Technology--Boarding Pass Scanning Systems (CAT-BPSS), will eventually replace the current procedure used by security officers to detect fraudulent or altered documents. CAT-BPSS enhances security and increases efficiency by automatically comparing a passenger's ID and boarding pass to a set of security features to concurrently authenticate them and ensure that the information on both match. The system can screen a wide range of travel documents. TSA began testing the technology in July 2011 and will deploy and evaluate the technology at airports in the near future.

Last edited by phltraveler; Mar 8, 2016 at 3:18 pm Reason: added GAO quote
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:00 pm

Let me just add a quote from The TSA Blog:
<snip>

Some months ago, a team of people at TSA went to work on it. They’re working very closely with our airline partners to incorporate a strong digital signature into the barcode on every boarding pass. The technique we’ve selected allows existing 2D barcode scanners to read the basic flight information, but scanners equipped with the appropriate security keys can authenticate the information and determine if the name, date, flight number or any other information has been changed. It’s simple but very effective. The net result will be a boarding pass that is extremely resistant to tampering or forgery.

<snip>

These mobile boarding passes have digital signatures embedded in the barcodes. Officers who do the document checking are equipped with handheld barcode scanners (generously on loan from our partners) and can confirm the authenticity of the boarding pass instantly. This isn’t rocket science – the (2010 NL East Champion) Nationals use the same process at their new ballpark – and it’s working really well for both TSA and passengers.

<snip>
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:32 pm

I'm starting to follow the money on this subject. It's sounding like "it's all about a barcode" and the industry involved in producing them.

Last edited by Grog; Mar 8, 2016 at 3:49 pm
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Using this argument, every single government-issued form of identification is suspect as passports and so forth can be counterfeited, meaning every time a person wishes to travel would require a unique document with a unique barcode be generated. Additionally, if we assume GE cards and passports can be easily counterfeited, the entire security process (including generating barcodes for boarding cards) falls flat on its face as a bedrock of security is being able to verify security, using identity documents (including GE cards).

I also imagine anyone with a printer and some technical expertise could counterfeit a boarding card.

I do now understand that apparently using Pre is subject to approval every single time one boards a flight. Of this I was not aware. I fail to understand why this is the case, and fail to understand why the TSA cannot itself provide authorisation on the spot (if algorithms are used) regardless of airline used.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Often1
As a final note, arguing with a front-line person about how the program is administered and the intricacies of the relationship between GE and Pre-Check doesn't help you out one bit.
I disagree. I strongly believe that anyone and everyone in the chain should hear about issues affecting customers in any industry. Will it help me on the spot? Maybe not, but front-line employees can submit suggestions for improvement up their supervisory chain.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:30 am

I'm starting to follow the money on this subject. It's sounding like "it's all about a barcode" and the industry involved in producing them.
There's no "industry" in barcodes. The IATA makes the barcode format an open standard. Paper boarding passes use a PDF417 format barcode while mobile barcodes can be in the formats of Aztec codes, Datamatrix, or QR Codes. All of these have freeware to read on PCs and mobile phones, and it's trivial to generate them on PCs as well with freeware. This is part of the problem with their security. To counter this, particularly when travelers are subject to expedited screening, they digitally sign them. Using the private key of the issuer (the airline) the boarding pass is signed. Using the public key that corresponds (the TSA puts it into their boarding pass scanners), the TSA can validate that the boarding pass has not been changed since the airline issued it.

Foreign airlines could easily get Precheck by doing three things:
1) Including the Known Traveler Number in their ticketing information so this information is available for TSA Secure Flight Consideration;
2) Creating a mechanism to receive the information on whether or not the traveler is Precheck eligible from the TSA;
3) Digitally signing boarding passes at generation and providing the public key to the TSA so the TSA ID scanners can validate whether a boarding pass has been altered after the TSA.

Ostensibly because foreign carriers primarily operate flights outside of the US, other than Canadian carriers (not a majority but certainly substantial portions go to the US), they have not bothered with this integration effort. There is no one charging the airlines to digitally sign their boarding passes (I could generate a strong private/public keypair on my computer in less than a minute). The barcodes are based on open standards and require no licensing; regardless, over 200 airlines are already making these barcodes, they just need to digitally sign them.

Using this argument, every single government-issued form of identification is suspect as passports and so forth can be counterfeited, meaning every time a person wishes to travel would require a unique document with a unique barcode be generated. Additionally, if we assume GE cards and passports can be easily counterfeited, the entire security process (including generating barcodes for boarding cards) falls flat on its face as a bedrock of security is being able to verify security, using identity documents (including GE cards).
The TSA has offered an $80M deal for technology that will both validate whether or not an ID is counterfeit, whether or not a boarding pass is counterfeit, and a cross compare (automatically) that the two match (e.g. not different names). Some documents from 2014 say they were looking to start testing at airports in late 2015, but I haven't seen it or heard more so I'm sure it was delayed (they started looking to get this technology rolling in 2011).

I also imagine anyone with a printer and some technical expertise could counterfeit a boarding card.
A concern which was brought up for years (the information printed on the surface is obvious, and the information on what fields and field lengths constitute the boarding pass barcode are entirely open*), and one of the reasons that digital signing of boarding passes started by major US airlines (alterations of the boarding pass would result in the signature not matching, causing rejection by the boarding pass scanner). I don't know if you've ever been in the scenario to see the TSO's side of the Desko Penta scanners they use, but they explicitly state whether or not a digital signature on a boarding pass is valid after they scan it, along with the name and some other information.

I do now understand that apparently using Pre is subject to approval every single time one boards a flight. Of this I was not aware. I fail to understand why this is the case, and fail to understand why the TSA cannot itself provide authorisation on the spot (if algorithms are used) regardless of airline used.
Do not attempt to understand the bureaucracy. I've received Pre 100% since receiving GE, but the first time I went to use it in 2013 (printed on boarding pass) I was deferred to the regular line I expressed disappointment to the TSO that it was my first opportunity and he said Go, I'll just defer the next guy )

I have seen several anecdotes on different forums that going to certain locations may trigger either SSSS or just a lack of Pre for a while despite GE/Nexus. Particularly, I've seen a few threads where people say they stopped getting Pre after visiting Turkey. Anecdotal, I know...
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Not really. Without the airline private key, it is technically infeasible without substantial computing power and time to counterfeit the bar code that would pass the scanner validation.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by seawolf
Not really. Without the airline private key, it is technically infeasible without substantial computing power and time to counterfeit the bar code that would pass the scanner validation.
+1

It is also the case that when a participating carrier submits a name associated with a TTN for Pre-Check clearance, DHS runs a series of additional checks which are discussed ad nauseam here on FT and at least partially explain why people with TTNs who have recently traveled to various places under various conditions wind up in secondary with "SSSS" or without Pre-Check for a period of time.

It will be interesting to see whether the EU carriers choose to participate in Pre-Check given the privacy issues involved, especially now that UK nationals are GE-eligible (esp. for BA, VS).
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Often1
+1It will be interesting to see whether the EU carriers choose to participate in Pre-Check given the privacy issues involved, especially now that UK nationals are GE-eligible (esp. for BA, VS).
What's the privacy concern? Foreign carriers traveling to the US have to submit their crew and passenger information via APIS. For flights originating in the US, they have to collect the full name of the passenger, date of birth, gender, and the redress number (if applicable) The only additional piece of info that would be required would be the known traveler - unless the US were to require that all flights (regardless of whether or not they arrive/depart from the US) be submitted to them in order for their passengers to be Precheck (in which case, that would be a legitimate privacy concern, as DHS/TSA would get information on all flights a passenger had, not just those involving the United States).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.