Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Renewing/Applying for NEXUS/Global Entry with Customs Violation/Warning

Old Jan 25, 2016, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I are both US citizens and recently traveled back from India. We were stopped in pre-customs in Dublin for some food items in our bag. It was a few spices that we did not declare (some of which are technically dried seeds) so our bag was opened and the offending items removed. The agent informed us she would be placing an official warning on our account (the bag was registered under my wife's ticket) in case this happens in the future.

I already have global entry and pre-check. My wife has neither.

Here's my question:

Is it worth it for her to apply for either at this point, or will she certainly be denied? I was thinking she may be denied global entry but maybe we could apply for tsa pre-check at least?

Anyone with relevant experience or advice would be great! Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If your wife had GE at the time of her CBP incident, it would almost certainly have been revoked for the violation.

Whether it would be denied after the fact remains to be seen.

TSA is unlikely to care one whit either about the CBP violation or about a GE denial for the CBP violation.

If she travels internationally GE is, as you know, a major enhancement for travel.

Thus, this is a question of whether she is prepared to risk $100 against the chance that she is denied. If she applies for GE and is denied, she can then spend $85 and apply for TSA Pre-Check. The $100 will be down the drain.

If she does apply for GE and makes it to the interview stage and is asked about the incident, the key is not to make any excuses of any kind. This was 100% her fault. Presumably she learned her lesson and will never do this again. Even if food is admissible, it needs to be declared. Perhaps that will sway the Officer conducting the interview.

So, bottom line ----- Can you afford to lose the $100?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

thank you very much for the replies.

we will apply for precheck since it seems really likely to be denied for global entry.

i'll update this thread with the results in a few months to help others.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
I've had an 'agricultural violation' in 2010 where I forgot to declare an orange on my customs form, then remembered about it between immigration counter and customs, and declared it to the customs. He told me off, wrote my info down in some book and [obviously] confiscated an orange.

In November I applied for GE, got approved and last week, during my GE interview, this was mentioned [and was warned that I could lose GE if I do this again], but it didn't affect them approving my GE.

What was interesting is that this offence was with a different nationality/passport than the one for my GE application [under the same name].
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by jms_uk
I've had an 'agricultural violation' in 2010 where I forgot to declare an orange on my customs form, then remembered about it between immigration counter and customs, and declared it to the customs. He told me off, wrote my info down in some book and [obviously] confiscated an orange.

In November I applied for GE, got approved and last week, during my GE interview, this was mentioned [and was warned that I could lose GE if I do this again], but it didn't affect them approving my GE.

What was interesting is that this offence was with a different nationality/passport than the one for my GE application [under the same name].
Why didn't you just toss the orange in the trash, in the bathroom preferably, before hitting Customs?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by catocony
Why didn't you just toss the orange in the trash, in the bathroom preferably, before hitting Customs?
There was no trashcan or bathroom between immigration and customs [like you get in Aus/NZ with reminders to dispose any fruit/veg] - otherwise I would've done just that.

And I thought that volunteering the info would work more in my favour - rather than them finding it [undeclared] in a random check...
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:03 pm

You didn't mention how recent... If it's > 1 year, I'd go for GE. If the $100 isn't a big deal to you, or you can get a credit card / bank to pay for the $100 app fee, go for it anyway.

As for everyone, declare, declare, declare! Even if you think it's alright, declare it. **Especially if you've got GE/Nexus.** Short of narcotics, you're not going to be punished for bringing a naughty item in as long as you've declared it. They may confiscate it, but they certainly won't do anything negative as long as you're up-front about it.

During all of the GE interviews I've been privy to in FLL, LAX, TPA, MCO, West Palm, the CPB officers made it clear that CPB being able to trust you was their highest priority.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by jms_uk
I've had an 'agricultural violation' in 2010 where I forgot to declare an orange on my customs form, then remembered about it between immigration counter and customs, and declared it to the customs.
How is that a violation? You gave a legal verbal amendment to your written declaration when you presented yourself to the Customs Agent before it was found and before you crossed the Customs inspection station.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by catocony
There's no harm in US Customs knowing you have it. Just declare it and they'll take it and discard it for you. If you know you're not allowed to have it, just admit you brought it accidentally and would like to discard it. They won't have a problem with that.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:33 pm

It seems I declared it to someone on a bit of a power trip, as it is on my CBP 'record' five years later... (was interesting to see that their info connects different citizenships)
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL, UA
GE and violation of customs laws

I started the application for GE and noticed this question: "Have you ever been found in violation of customs laws?" After reading the forums I know i have to tell the truth and here it is. About 20 years ago, I tried to bring in some salami from Italy. A beagle caught me and it was taken from my luggage. It was shrink-wrapped and i'm not sure what i said to the agent or what happened from there, other than losing the salami. I don't remember getting any warning and I know i didn't pay a fine.

My question for all of you is should i even bother applying for GE? I only fly internationally a few times a year, if that but it's a better value than Pre-check but I don't want to spend $100 for nothing. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by adomatic
I started the application for GE and noticed this question: "Have you ever been found in violation of customs laws?" After reading the forums I know i have to tell the truth and here it is. About 20 years ago, I tried to bring in some salami from Italy. A beagle caught me and it was taken from my luggage. It was shrink-wrapped and i'm not sure what i said to the agent or what happened from there, other than losing the salami. I don't remember getting any warning and I know i didn't pay a fine.

My question for all of you is should i even bother applying for GE? I only fly internationally a few times a year, if that but it's a better value than Pre-check but I don't want to spend $100 for nothing. Thanks in advance.
Was your name taken?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Did they take down your info then?

When you return to the US have you been sent to secondary or get lots of questions?

If you do end up apply I do recommend being upfront and say you did get caught but learned your lesson and have abided since.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Don't remember—20 years ago!

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Did they take down your info then?

When you return to the US have you been sent to secondary or get lots of questions?

If you do end up apply I do recommend being upfront and say you did get caught but learned your lesson and have abided since.
I don't remember if my name was taken because it was 20 years ago. When I return from the US, most of the time i'm waved through. No one has ever gone through my luggage. 2 years ago, coming back from Europe, my boyfriend got to use the kiosk and i had to go through the long line. No one went through my luggage but i guess i got a few questions. My bag wasn't searched. Got waved through on my last trip overseas trip from India.

I know I have to be honest but I wonder if answering yes to that question is an automatic Reject. Has anyone answered yes and gotten an interview?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by adomatic
I don't remember if my name was taken because it was 20 years ago. When I return from the US, most of the time i'm waved through. No one has ever gone through my luggage. 2 years ago, coming back from Europe, my boyfriend got to use the kiosk and i had to go through the long line. No one went through my luggage but i guess i got a few questions. My bag wasn't searched. Got waved through on my last trip overseas trip from India.

I know I have to be honest but I wonder if answering yes to that question is an automatic Reject. Has anyone answered yes and gotten an interview?
A "yes" won't be an automatic reject but it will invite questions. Still, if they know about it and you *don't* admit it, you can pretty much guarantee rejection.

I'd disclose it. If asked, I'd explain what happened. I don't think it should harm your chances given the limited severity and the long time span since it happened.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.