Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Is pre-check always this easy?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak

Went through at Reagan today for terminal B. Less than 5 minutes. This was impressive enough that I think I'm going to pay for the program. How well does pre-check work at Ord and mdw?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1M, 1K,AA 2M,HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum

In my experience, if the lines are open, then it is. Will definitely reenroll in global entry when mine expires. Adds some predictability to international connections.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:46 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the TSA Trusted Travelers Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
In my 1-2 years as a Pre-Check member, it's worked great. Unless, as someone wrote above, the lines are not open. I've only run into that a couple of times, however.

I frequent IAD and DCA and the pre-check experience there has been pretty stellar. Same with the few times I've used it at ORD. The one place where it was sluggish, though still far superior to the "regular" line, was ATL.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Five minutes at DCA is a long wait and about average at IAD or ORD. Even with long lines, the lines move really fast and it's a real convenience.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Pretty impressive

It was less than 5 minutes today. Though I only travel a few times s year security is a pain when the line is long. How long does it take to process an application. Would like to use this for a January 15 departure.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by steve4031
It was less than 5 minutes today. Though I only travel a few times s year security is a pain when the line is long. How long does it take to process an application. Would like to use this for a January 15 departure.
Two to three weeks if you clear all the hurdles quickly and can get an appointment. Better apply like today though. And yes PreCheck does go typically very fast. My only slow down in a pure PreCheck lane was after Customs and Immigration in Philly but even then it only took maybe 15 minutes compared to God knows how long in the regular lines which had literally hundreds of people in them.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:33 pm

My first time ever using precheck I was at BOS terminal A. I went from my uber to the other side of security in 2 minutes. I actually checked the time from my uber receipt because I couldn't believe how fast it was.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
If you travel abroad at all you might want to consider GE for $20 extra. I applied on 12/11/2014 and was conditionally approved on 12/17. I set up the interview for the next time I passed through ORD (1/8/2015). GE is immediate, if approved, and you then have your KTN to add to your profile. You will have to have any existing reservation "refreshed" for it to pass through. The only difficulty is getting an appointment and getting to an interview location. Things may be slower over the holidays!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I'll get to work.

This is worth it imho.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I've definitely gotten good use out of Pre✓ in the time that I've had it (about 3 years). My primary complaint is the amount of non trusted travelers who are now getting it for random reasons. It's terrible at MCO standing there waiting for people who have no clue what their doing fumble around for their laptops, liquids, gels, etc.

They should really separate the randomly selected travelers from those actually enrolled in a TT program.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: Global Entry, APEC, United Premier Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
I've definitely gotten good use out of Pre✓ in the time that I've had it (about 3 years). My primary complaint is the amount of non trusted travelers who are now getting it for random reasons. It's terrible at MCO standing there waiting for people who have no clue what their doing fumble around for their laptops, liquids, gels, etc.

They should really separate the randomly selected travelers from those actually enrolled in a TT program.
Thats been my only real frustration with the program as well. The randomly selected people that have no idea what they are doing in the line, especially if they are traveling with kids is very annoying.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:55 pm

Randomly chosen pre-check

I thought that randomly selected pre-check people was done away with.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
I chose to get NEXUS earlier this year.

I've gotten pre-check every time since I got approval (probably 4-6 trips, give or take). Not so good when pre-check lines are closed, though you usually at least get to keep your shoes on.

My most recent was 12/19. 10 rows of cattle-lines at Pdx. I got to the pre-check and found one person in front of me. Including walk time, I think I made it through in about 1.5 minutes.

Nexus has gotten me through YVR inbound fairly quickly, and SJO-LAX also. That one took a bit of finagling to convince the line-shoo-er guy to skip me to the front of the line when the machines were down. Still only took 5 minutes or so.

Well worth it, IMO. That said, I'd really like it if we didn't have to pay extra to be treated civilly.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
5 minutes is long (and yes I mean the entire process). A few years ago, the norm was less than 30 seconds for EWR during morning rush hours. I was often the only one in the Pre-Check query.

Unfortunately, nowadays everyone's grandmom has Pre-Check... and there are people that clearly don't understand the concept of Pre-Check (e.g. taking off shoe and taking out laptops) slowing down the whole line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.