Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling With Non PreCheck Companions/Family Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling With Non PreCheck Companions/Family Members

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:05 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hello @goalcam,

I moved your question to the relevant thread.

The answer is no, you can use the regular TSA security lanes.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
goalcam likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by goalcam
Do I have to use the TSA Precheck lane when going through the security if it says TSA Precheck on my boarding pass? I'm flying out of SEA as a Canadian citizen with an American citizen who doesn't have NEXUS or TSA Precheck, and I'd like to stay with her through security when possible in order to assist her as disability is a factor.
You should be able to accompany her in whichever lane she uses to clear TSA screening. If she is hit by an SSSS flag on a boarding pass, there may be some greater separation space imposed between members of a travel party.
goalcam likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:06 pm

My mother in law a legal canadian resident came here on visa and she did receive wheel chair service at YYZ and at ORD. She was dropped off at the baggage area where we were waiting.

She can walk but being a senior and recovering from fall year ago and with very limited to no understanding of English, the wheel chair service was very helpful. Now we are flying in AA next week to SAN.
We have precheck ,not her. I don't know how long the security line will be.Unless we ask for wheel chair assistance, I think she will have to stand in long security line and go thru regular security check. I will read all the replies above and then do the best. Thanks. Will they allow us to board earlier?

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Dec 23, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by mnbp
Very common at the moment that if some travelers in a PNR get TSA Precheck, everyone in the same PNR gets TSA Precheck.

That is how it seems to work today - it could change anytime without warning.
I am flying with my girlfriend who doesn't have TSA KTN and her boarding pass shows TSAPrecheck. So this will work? They do not have a way to check this on their side when we go through security? I want to avoid any hassles but this is too good to be true I have a tSA KTN so this looks like it was extended to her on Delta...not sure the airline matters.

Last edited by Hikmer01; Dec 28, 2018 at 5:28 pm Reason: update
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Hikmer01
I am flying with my girlfriend who doesn't have TSA KTN and her boarding pass shows TSAPrecheck. So this will work? They do not have a way to check this on their side when we go through security? I want to avoid any hassles but this is too good to be true I have a tSA KTN so this looks like it was extended to her on Delta...not sure the airline matters.
Yup it should work.

I've done this many times with my mom and GF (now wife). Neither has PreCheck and whenever I book our tickets together they both got PreCheck and we went through PreCheck TSA without issue.

Seems like a bit of a loophole but hey it's convenient for us!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: Delta
Awesome! Thanks much! <redacted by moderator>.

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 28, 2018 at 6:37 pm Reason: Comment more appropriate for the Policy Debate forum
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Hikmer01
Just to be completely clear, just having a KTN does not equal TSA Precheck for any particular flight. Having TSA PRECHK printed on a boarding pass DOES mean that person gets TSA Precheck for that flight.

The government's computer system made their decision (TSA Pre for this flight - "yes" or "no") when the boarding pass was printed. This governmental decision happens each time a boarding pass is printed based on the criteria they use - whatever it might be. Obviously, having a KTN makes the odds of "TSA Pre=yes" nearly 100%, but as we can read anecdotally here on FT, there are obviously other criteria as well that the government's system considers, such as being in the same PNR as an individual with a KTN.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Precheck for non-member companion?

I've had TSA PreCheck through my NEXUS/GE membership for about 4 years now. In the past 1.5 years or so I have been doing a lot of travel with my girlfriend, and have noticed that whenever we are on the same booking/PNR we both get PreCheck boarding passes, despite her not being a Precheck member. Not only is she not a member, but I believe she is not even eligible for the program, as a Chinese citizen in the US on a student visa...

I know TSA used to run a program where some individuals are randomly selected to be given Precheck on their boarding pass (managed inclusion I believe was the name of that program) but my understanding was that had stopped. FWIW I also have quite high confidence that my companion getting Precheck is not "random" but specifically linked to being on the same itinerary as me: after over 30+ flights together my girlfriend has had it 100% of the time, and 0% of the time when we travel on separate bookings, and 0% of the time when she has traveled alone.

Is this a known "benefit" of the program? Have others observed the same kind of behavior?
ginmqi likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:58 am

This is routine for my girlfriend as well for 6 years. There have been a few times that she even got precheck and I did not.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: TSA
In my experience, it is not always a given benefit, and it is not claimed as part of the program. I have seen this happen a few times, but it is not a standard occurrence.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:36 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Hello @asdf098,

I merged your question into the relevant thread.

You may also want to review the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:24 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asdf098
Is this a known "benefit" of the program?
Known to those who take notice of it. It is certainly not a published benefit.

Have others observed the same kind of behavior?
Yes.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:39 pm

I've had TSA PreCheck through my NEXUS/GE membership for about 4 years now. In the past 1.5 years or so I have been doing a lot of travel with my girlfriend, and have noticed that whenever we are on the same booking/PNR we both get PreCheck boarding passes, despite her not being a Precheck member. Not only is she not a member, but I believe she is not even eligible for the program, as a Chinese citizen in the US on a student visa...

I know TSA used to run a program where some individuals are randomly selected to be given Precheck on their boarding pass (managed inclusion I believe was the name of that program) but my understanding was that had stopped. FWIW I also have quite high confidence that my companion getting Precheck is not "random" but specifically linked to being on the same itinerary as me: after over 30+ flights together my girlfriend has had it 100% of the time, and 0% of the time when we travel on separate bookings, and 0% of the time when she has traveled alone.

Is this a known "benefit" of the program? Have others observed the same kind of behavior?
I have the exact same experience as you. My wife is not PreCheck but I have GE. In EVERY flight that I reserve for us together and we're on the same itinerary, she has always gotten PreCheck.

Honestly seems like a security loop hole, but I assume powers that be working behind the scenes are smarter than me so I'll take the convenience!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:10 am

On our last two trips (both international) I've traveled with my aunt (different last names) but same PRN and we've both gotten PreCheck even though I have GE and she doesn't. She has her own GE interview coming up (she wants those benefits on arrival!) so we will both have KTN's on our next trip.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by liverpoolfc
On our last two trips (both international) I've traveled with my aunt (different last names) but same PRN and we've both gotten PreCheck even though I have GE and she doesn't. She has her own GE interview coming up (she wants those benefits on arrival!) so we will both have KTN's on our next trip.
About how old is your aunt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.