Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling With Non PreCheck Companions/Family Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling With Non PreCheck Companions/Family Members

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Originally Posted by stargold
Took four different domestic flights with my mother (non-GE/Pre) on AA, WN and UA, and she got PreCheck on every flight. It was a real godsend too, as the normal queues were terrible.

I guess the rationale is that it makes little sense to split parties travelling together through security, and the PreCheck queues can still remain quick enough with the additional load.
My mother (US citizen, senior citizen) gets PreCheck whenever she flies despite having never paid or interviewed for it. Before I applied for and received PreCheck and GE, I would get PreCheck if I was traveling with her. I never got PreCheck when she wasn't on my reservation.

So a plausible explanation is that they think elderly women are a low-risk group...and that if I was going to do something violent, I wouldn't do it when my mother was on the plane.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:33 pm

I'm not sure when was the last time your mother flew, but my understanding from this thread and elsewhere is that most (if not all) groups of people who used to "get it for free" no longer do - the only exceptions that quickly come to mind are travel companions of trusted travellers (same PNR), military personnel and minors under the age of 14 who are accompanying a trusted traveller.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I'm not sure when was the last time your mother flew, but my understanding from this thread and elsewhere is that most (if not all) groups of people who used to "get it for free" no longer do - the only exceptions that quickly come to mind are travel companions of trusted travellers (same PNR), military personnel and minors under the age of 14 who are accompanying a trusted traveller.
Passengers 75 and older receive expedited screening and more often than not full PreCheck benefits.

[with my moderator's hat on] And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming, which is non-PreCheck or GE enrolled passengers who are traveling with companions or family members who receive the PreCheck designation on their boarding passes. [moderator's had off]
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:12 pm

We last had a reservation together in April 2017 (before I joined TTP) and both got Pre then.

We both have solo reservations later this month, as well as one reservation together. I'll ask her if she gets it on her solo flight and give an update after all the flights.

I know some articles suggest the practice of giving Pre to people who didn't interview or pay was discontinued in late 2015 or early 2016, but that has definitely not been the case for her.

*She's a few years younger than 75.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by TWA884

[with my moderator's hat on] And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming, which is non-PreCheck or GE enrolled passengers who are traveling with companions or family members who receive the PreCheck designation on their boarding passes. [moderator's had off]

Seems like it can be summarized as this:

Precheck for non-precheck passengers when traveling with (on same PNR) someone who has precheck: likely

Global entry for non-GE passengers when traveling with someone who has GE:
never
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Note

Originally Posted by drewguy
Global entry for non-GE passengers when traveling with someone who has GE:
never
That's a subject for another thread:
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
We last had a reservation together in April 2017 (before I joined TTP) and both got Pre then.

We both have solo reservations later this month, as well as one reservation together. I'll ask her if she gets it on her solo flight and give an update after all the flights.

I know some articles suggest the practice of giving Pre to people who didn't interview or pay was discontinued in late 2015 or early 2016, but that has definitely not been the case for her.

*She's a few years younger than 75.
She received Pre on a solo flight today.

On a separate flight, I got semi-Pre as a GE member. I kept my shoes on but had to take liquids out. There was no proper Pre line at ONT.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
On a separate flight, I got semi-Pre as a GE member. I kept my shoes on but had to take liquids out. There was no proper Pre line at ONT.
AKA PreCheck Light.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
PreCheck and Traveling Companions

Hello, I noticed a thread on this a while back, but it didn't have all of the information I was looking for on it.

I know officially speaking this isn't supposed to happen, but I've noticed that every reservation I've been on lately with a traveling companion, they have gotten TSA PreCheck along with me, though they do not have a KTN. Additionally, my parents are in their mid-60s and have gotten it every time in the last 2 years (even when not traveling with me)

I'm booking a trip with 3 other people soon and wondering if we should book all 4 people together in hopes that all 4 of us get PreCheck... (reasons why we would book separately have to do with basic economy and seat assignments, you have the best chance of getting better auto-assigned seats with parties of 2)

Curious if anyone else has had these experiences lately with PreCheck and traveling companions.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:28 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Action

Originally Posted by joeypore
Hello, I noticed a thread on this a while back, but it didn't have all of the information I was looking for on it.

<snip>

Curious if anyone else has had these experiences lately with PreCheck and traveling companions.
Your question is a proper subject for that thread, so I have merged the thread that you started into it.

To answer your question, there are numerous reports in this thread, some of them as recent as the second half of 2017, of companions traveling with trusted traveler on the same PNR receiving PreCheck on their boarding passes.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 18, 2018 at 1:33 pm
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by TWA884
To answer your question, there are numerous reports in this thread, some of them as recent as the second half of 2017, of companions traveling with trusted traveler on the same PNR receiving PreCheck on their boarding passes.

TWA884

+1

And I have consistent experience both with that and the converse: when my companions without known traveler numbers are on different PNRs, they never get PreCheck. This is definitely a reason to keep all passengers on a PNR with at least one traveler with a KTN. (This really only applies to adults; kids without PreCheck can accompany you in the PreCheck line anyway, so they can be on their own reservation, though with some airlines it can be tricky to convince them to let you do that without treating them as an unaccompanied minor.)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by joeypore

I know officially speaking this isn't supposed to happen, but I've noticed that every reservation I've been on lately with a traveling companion, they have gotten TSA PreCheck along with me, though they do not have a KTN. Additionally, my parents are in their mid-60s and have gotten it every time in the last 2 years (even when not traveling with me)

I'm booking a trip with 3 other people soon and wondering if we should book all 4 people together in hopes that all 4 of us get PreCheck... (reasons why we would book separately have to do with basic economy and seat assignments, you have the best chance of getting better auto-assigned seats with parties of 2)

I recently traveled with my mom (no KTN) and I have Global Entry. We booked our flight together with my KTN appended to my ticket and she was able to get PreCheck to and from our destination.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mandabear
I recently traveled with my mom (no KTN) and I have Global Entry. We booked our flight together with my KTN appended to my ticket and she was able to get PreCheck to and from our destination.
AARP’s primary target market for members are frequently getting PreCheck even without a KTN. In which decade of life is your mom? If she is in or beyond her 6th decade, it’s not uncommon for this to happen even without a KTN entered for one or all in the ticketed PNR.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:07 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
AARP’s primary target market for members are frequently getting PreCheck even without a KTN. In which decade of life is your mom? If she is in or beyond her 6th decade, it’s not uncommon for this to happen even without a KTN entered for one or all in the ticketed PNR.
That's one way to put it.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:25 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Note

This thread is for discussing traveling with companions who are not "Trusted Travelers."

Please discuss non-trusted travelers, including senior citizens, who received the PreCheck designation on their boarding passes when they were not travel companions of trusted travelers in the following thread:
Thank you,

TWA884

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.