Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Application Countries Visited [consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Application Countries Visited [consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Nope. GDR and USSR were the only apparent anomalies.
So they had GDR on there but not FRG?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Critic
Actually, it's possible the lookup values for that field are shared with another field somewhere on the system, and rather than delete the now-defunct countries & botch up existing records, the countries are left in the list. The side effect is what you see here.

Why not create a separate lookup for this field? Well, we are talking about government employees here - and that'd be extra work.
Good point. I agree, they've got a list of countries with no way to mark them as obsolete.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Also, given this thread mentions the German Democratic Republic (aka East Germany), thought this comic was appropriate:

Alt-text: Please don't hurt me, DPRK
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Also, given this thread mentions the German Democratic Republic (aka East Germany), thought this comic was appropriate:

Alt-text: Please don't hurt me, DPRK
They got it wrong. There's no overlap.

The only honest governmental form that appears in country names is "Republic" and it must not be modified.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even when GDR existed, I always thought of it as DDR, the name West Germans (FRG) used. IME GDR and FRG jus caused postal confusion; better to write East Germany and West Germany. Later the "five new provinces" sounded cute.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Critic

Why not create a separate lookup for this field? Well, we are talking about government employees here - and that'd be extra work.
Actually, it could be saving work. If it pulls automatically from a list that gets updated regularly (although apparently not completely) then it saves GE work of having to replicate revisions of the list.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:57 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The only honest governmental form that appears in country names is "Republic" and it must not be modified.
Republic of the Sudan, Republic of Uganda, Republic of Rwanda, Republic of Burundi, Somali Republic, Central African Republic... or right next door to me, Dominican Republic.

Real honest form of government. Total transparency.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkt
Republic of the Sudan, Republic of Uganda, Republic of Rwanda, Republic of Burundi, Somali Republic, Central African Republic... or right next door to me, Dominican Republic.

Real honest form of government. Total transparency.
I didn't say it was ALWAYS legitimate, just that it could be.

How about the Republic of China?

Any other form is always not legitimate.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Any other form is always not legitimate.
Not always.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
A trivia(?) question:
Where would one place West Berlin (when Germany was divided)? It physically was in East Germany, but West Berlin was considered part of West Germany.
I think the situation was even more complicated than that: West Berlin was part of West Germany de facto, but it remained under de jure Allied occupation (under a locally elected municipal administration) until German reunification. Any change in Occupied Berlin's legal status required the agreement of all four occupying powers--the USA, USSR, UK, and France--and that didn't happen until the 2+4 treaty in 1990.

I think the West Berlin government used to have to hold a special vote every time the West German parliament enacted a new law, to adopt the same statutory text in West Berlin. (Think of it as the legislative equivalent of copy-paste.)
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not always.
Got any examples?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:42 am
Suspended

Got any examples?
History has them, and that may include governing arrangements which may be prerequisite to even arrive at forming a democratic republic.

And even democratic republics are not always considered legitimate. Illiberal democratic republics can be awful regimes.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
History has them, and that may include governing arrangements which may be prerequisite to even arrive at forming a democratic republic.

And even democratic republics are not always considered legitimate. Illiberal democratic republics can be awful regimes.
I wonder if we are talking about the same thing here.

I'm saying that government forms *IN THE COUNTRY NAME* may be true if it says "Republic", anything else is false.

This is not to say there can't be other government forms, I'm talking about when they appear in the country name.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:11 pm
Suspended

I wonder if we are talking about the same thing here.

I'm saying that government forms *IN THE COUNTRY NAME* may be true if it says "Republic", anything else is false.

This is not to say there can't be other government forms, I'm talking about when they appear in the country name.
Is "kingdom" (or other monarchical equivalent) in the country name always false?

The answer to that may help clarify if we are talking about the same thing or not.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:52 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
I often arrive from MUC, and GE has me as arriving from:"Munich Riem Airport".
Riem closed in 1992, and immediately ceased to be an active airport...

Looks like they are using some sort of data list compiled in the 1980's at the latest...
That is pretty hilarious.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even when GDR existed, I always thought of it as DDR, the name West Germans (FRG) used. IME GDR and FRG jus caused postal confusion; better to write East Germany and West Germany. Later the "five new provinces" sounded cute.
DDR and BRD is how I think of them, but that's because I speak German.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.