Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
How do I add NEXUS to my existing Global Entry membership?
  • On the TTP home page, select "Manage My Membership"
  • Then click on the "Add Trusted Traveler Program." Make any changes necessary
  • On the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler Program List page, select the checkbox next to the NEXUS option
  • On the next page you will see the NEXUS logo. You will need to provide additional information and answer questions; (some of these questions are very similar)
  • Once all the application information is entered/ corrected, certify your application and pay the fee
  • Applicants seeking to use NEXUS to enter Canada must complete an enrollment interview with the Canada Border Services Agency (some with GE received NEXUS card without interview)
  • An iris scan is needed; contact lenses must be removed to do the initial scan. Scan does not have to be done at the same time as the interview
Print Wikipost

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Welcome to FT. I have not done it personally. From reading various posts, you might be offered to change to Global Entry when you first log into GOES website renewing your NEXUS. If you were not offered to change to Global Entry, you then have to apply for Global Entry which is a different program and pay a $100 fee.

If you have been approved conditionally for NEXUS renewal without an interview, if I were you, I would renew NEXUS. If an interview is required, then apply for Global Entry.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:39 pm
jgd

Thank you 1KChinito

I talked with the agents at LAX enrollment center this morning and they said the "Change to Global Entry" was provided in the past when people would be confused, but that option has been removed since
He offered to enter my US passport but that's it. He said you would need to Cancel Nexus membership and then apply for GE.
Currently he says interviews are being scheduled for July so when my Nexus expires in a month (cancelled) and even if I apply right away I would be without GE benefits until at least August by that point.
If I'm anyway going to Canada in the near future might still be worth it, since I already paid the renewal fee.
(But then I get the same issue every 5 years so let's see.. !)

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Welcome to FT. I have not done it personally. From reading various posts, you might be offered to change to Global Entry when you first log into GOES website renewing your NEXUS. If you were not offered to change to Global Entry, you then have to apply for Global Entry which is a different program and pay a $100 fee.

If you have been approved conditionally for NEXUS renewal without an interview, if I were you, I would renew NEXUS. If an interview is required, then apply for Global Entry.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by 1KChinito

That was the case when I tried to renew my NEXUS yesterday, and I picked NEXUS.

Once you approved, I don't think you can change NEXUS to GE online. There is no such an option online.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:35 am
jgd

Agreed. The GOES online help also confirmed that with me today, you either go through with NEXUS renewal interview or you CANCEL and then apply for GE.

Bottom line I don't want to lose TSA PRE since I fly frequently in the US.

Since work pays for it, any reason I shouldn't get TSA PRE to cover for the time between my NEXUS expires and when I have time to renew it (could be 3-4months)?

And when I get NEXUS back I can change my KTN for my airline bookings.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by jgd
Agreed. The GOES online help also confirmed that with me today, you either go through with NEXUS renewal interview or you CANCEL and then apply for GE.

Bottom line I don't want to lose TSA PRE since I fly frequently in the US.

Since work pays for it, any reason I shouldn't get TSA PRE to cover for the time between my NEXUS expires and when I have time to renew it (could be 3-4months)?

And when I get NEXUS back I can change my KTN for my airline bookings.
It is a personal call. If you do not care about NEXUS vs. Global Entry vs. TSA Pre Check and since your work pays for TSA Pre Check/Global Entry, why not just apply for Global Entry ($100) instead of TSA Pre Check ($85). Some credit cards pays for GE or TSA Pre Check. Global Entry application process is much faster than NEXUS. NEXUS and Global Entry shares same GOES website. TSA Pre Check is a different program and website.

If you do care to keep your NEXUS, I would continue with the process. As soon as you receive your conditional approval, schedule an interview immediately. If you cannot find a close in date, do a new search several times a day when NEXUS office is open. You are bound to find something acceptable within two weeks.

Good luck.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:49 pm
jgd

Thanks
I made the call to schedule a TSA precheck apt and get it done so it relieves the stress on going to Canada and renewing Nexus (and I get a KTN in the mean time).
Already paid for Nexus renewal and if I cancel it and switch to GE it will be another few months of interview scheduling.
I'll see in 5 years if I switch to GE and at that time I won't renew Nexus.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by jgd
Thanks
I made the call to schedule a TSA precheck apt and get it done so it relieves the stress on going to Canada and renewing Nexus (and I get a KTN in the mean time).
Already paid for Nexus renewal and if I cancel it and switch to GE it will be another few months of interview scheduling.
I'll see in 5 years if I switch to GE and at that time I won't renew Nexus.
Keep your eyes out for a cheap round trip to Seattle. You can do NEXUS interviews at one of the Seattle airports (Boeing Field I believe).
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
3-5 Months Wait Time to add Nexus to Global Entry

So I have Global Entry and want to switch it over to Nexus for my renewal. No brainer, right? It's cheaper and I can get into Canada without a wait (that's handy when you live in WA state).

Even though I already have Global Entry and have gone through all the screening adding Nexus is 3-5 months!

<deleted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 8, 2017 at 10:14 am Reason: Policy debate/commentary, not practical Trusted Travelers advice/information
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by leland
So I have Global Entry and want to switch it over to Nexus for my renewal. No brainer, right? It's cheaper and I can get into Canada without a wait (that's handy when you live in WA state).

Even though I already have Global Entry and have gone through all the screening adding Nexus is 3-5 months!
Per the Nexus information thread in this forum, current Nexus application processing times are approximately 2-3 months - some folks get to "conditional approval" in about 2 months, others more like 3 months.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
This is how I originally did it five years ago. I did the NEXUS application about a month after I got Global Entry and the application processing time was significantly shorter on NEXUS. I want to say they turned it around in three weeks. The interviews take a while to schedule, especially in the big cities (Seattle, Toronto etc).

My renewal took just about 2.5 months this time around for NEXUS only.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
For me as someone who had GE already and wanted NEXUS, it was super quick. I got my conditional approval after applying for NEXUS in a week and an interview within a month.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:48 am
jgd

Originally Posted by PhotoJim
Keep your eyes out for a cheap round trip to Seattle. You can do NEXUS interviews at one of the Seattle airports (Boeing Field I believe).
Thanks, I did see it:
Seattle Urban Enrollment Center - 7277 PERIMETER ROAD SOUTH RM 116, KING COUNTY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, BOEING FIELD, SEATTLE, WA 98108, US

While it's the closest it might not be worth the extra time and money (day of travels and $200+ airfaire + food).

Hoping to be in Canada - Montreal in July for summer trip and renew.
For the next 3 months (or more if I don't ever renew Nexus) I have TSA Precheck already done, so all I needed right now was my KTN for domestic travels.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Funny @phltraveler that's exactly me but been a month+ now. Oh well, no big deal as at least started this with time to spare before my GE expires end of the year. Glad I did that though.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
IME, an applicant having GE have no bearing on NEXUS processing time. This is based on data points on FT from members during new NEXUS applications at the same time as my spouse NEXUS-on-top-of-GE application.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by seawolf
IME, an applicant having GE have no bearing on NEXUS processing time. This is based on data points on FT from members during new NEXUS applications at the same time as my spouse NEXUS-on-top-of-GE application.
Yes I agree.. it's essentially a new application. The other poster who got fast service was very lucky..it does not appear to be the norm. 4+ years ago I had GE first and then added NEXUS and it took 2 months for conditional approval and then another 4 months for an interview at the unique enrollment center at Boeing Field in Seattle (I scheduled it with my mom so I didn't attempt an earlier appointment).

The plus is that you do get a new expiration date for GE when you go in for the NEXUS interview. NEXUS is totally the way to go from the start if you either live near Canada or have the means to get yourself to a NEXUS interview center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.