Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 12:56 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

I have always used GE because I have had GE since before APC and MP were available and have never had to wait for a GE kiosk. That combined with getting Pre-Check and the few being taken care of via Amex means I don’t see a need for trying the other too.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have noticed that DFW is now filtering automated kiosk users into the same line as Mobile Passport users...it's not everyone, but a few people interspersed to make the line a bit longer. It goes quickly, but a data point.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Love global entry. Often times I would be outside of the airport terminal faster than arriving from a domestic flight. 5 minutes tops from deplaning to exiting terminal (never check bags).
Old May 15, 2018, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I don't have GE. Should I sign up for Mobile Passport Control on my next trip? Is there a downside to using it and then finding that it makes sense to just go through the normal "automatic" machines that do the same thing (ask questions, scan pp, take selfie)? If it matters, my home port is BOS.

I see varied reviews online. Some say "as good as GE". Others say "They put you in the normal lines anyway, doesn't save any time". At BOS the wait is all in the time it takes between the APC machines and the human who looks at the passport. If using the mobile app just means you don't have to stop to use the machines on the way to the usually way-too-slow line, that's worth about 3 minutes, not a big deal. But I can't really figure out how it works. Any experience or does everyone who flies international frequently just go with GE?
I have really found MPC to vary based upon which airport that I fly into. At EWR (whichever terminal that Swiss Air uses), MPC worked great and I was through with everything right away. At ORD, I have often found that the MPC line takes longer than the regular non-GE kiosks because they often use the line as the line for others who the airlines want to be expedited and many take a while to be processed.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:11 pm

<deleted by moderator>

We enter the US at BOS on TK in July. We have GE. Arriving BOS 1830. What sort of queue would we expect at GE around that time on a Tuesday evening?
Just wondering if we should do MP. We have an hour and 45 minutes between flights and should be among the first off the plane as will be in Biz Class.

Last edited by TWA884; May 27, 2018 at 10:22 am Reason: Quote of relocated post
Old May 26, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA MM
I got off the plane at 2100 on a Friday and there was no line for either Mobile or GE. My understanding is that you can do Mobile but simply not use if you get to the agents and there is a queue but GE is open. At the moment, in BOS Mobile and GE are located immediately next to each other.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I got off the plane at 2100 on a Friday and there was no line for either Mobile or GE. My understanding is that you can do Mobile but simply not use if you get to the agents and there is a queue but GE is open. At the moment, in BOS Mobile and GE are located immediately next to each other.
Indeed. I alternate between APC, GE, MPC and the lines for those not enabled to use APC, GE, MPC. It’s never been a problem for me to use the GE or APC or other lines even after having submitted MPC on landing or earlier.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
SFO experience this past weekend: Submitted MPC on plane/landing. Went into line for MPC, where I was third, but there was no agent. Backed out and went to GE, and was through that before the agent started helping the MPC folks. No (apparent) repercussions with GE for having submitted MPC form.

I would have been pretty annoyed if I didn't have GE and had to wait for an agent (agents were attending to regular pax as well) for MPC. Barring agent interrogations, it would have been faster (shorter walk and shorter line).
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
<deleted by moderator>

We enter the US at BOS on TK in July. We have GE. Arriving BOS 1830. What sort of queue would we expect at GE around that time on a Tuesday evening?
Just wondering if we should do MP. We have an hour and 45 minutes between flights and should be among the first off the plane as will be in Biz Class.
You'll be arriving at a busyish time at Logan. There shouldn't be a problem with GE, but the problem is that the queues before they split everyone up into US/non-US/GE/etc. often get backed up out of the processing hall, sometimes to the point where they hold people on the plane because of capacity. Once you get into the processing hall, it should be pretty quick - GE immigration and customs shouldn't take more than a couple minutes each in my experience.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Was just are at JFK T8. A dozen ppl ahead of me waiting for GE kiosk. However no CBP officer was working the MPC line so GE ended up being faster. Definitely recommend submitting a MPC upon arrival just in case.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

The purpose of this thread is to compare using Global Entry with the Mobile Passport App and/or the Automated Passport Control kiosks.

If you simply want to share your experience with the Mobile Passport App, please post in the following thread:
Posts have been moved.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
IAD recent experience:

Submitted MPC form for family. Went to GE kiosks because there was no line. GE kiosk rejected us with message "you have immigrated too recently" or something to that effect.

So, went to MPC line next to it. A bit confusing because several agents seemed to be processing people from MPC but not calling people from front of the line maze. Got processed with MPC, but agent said he scanned one of us twice, so sent us to another agent to scan our passports again. That agent asked us questions about food and wine we had declared. Definitely longer than GE, although I can't say with complete certainty because of the food/wine beyond the usual chocolates (nothing prohibited and no duty collected).

Anyway - two lessons:

1) MPC was marginally longer (didn't matter because we had checked luggage)
2) Be careful of submitting MPC form and then using GE - it didn't work at IAD (it did work at SFO a few weeks ago, however).
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Mobile Passport, anyone?

Has anyone tried mobile passport? It seems to be a smaller program than GE, which means faster entry. However, it is only for US and Canadian citizens (no Green Card holders for the time being, though I have been told they are working on expanding it to Green Card holders in the near future). For major airports, it seems to be a good idea. Thoughts? Experiences?

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/mob...der-60-seconds
Old May 11, 2019, 9:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Based on a coupe of observations in the past year where I’ve seen MPC queue ignored by JFK T8, it got me wondering what’s in it for CBP?

Years ago when APC was initially being deployed, MPC made sense for CBP (easier and quicker to deploy). But now that APC is available at more airports, I don’t really see MPC bringing any benefit over APC from CBP’s perspective. MPC is essentially an APC kiosk. I wouldn’t be surprised if MPC will go away eventually.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA MM
MPC may be just like the APC kiosk, but you can do it on the plane while you taxi in to the gate. And at least at BOS, MPC goes through a completely different queue, over by GE, than the kiosk traffic. What's in it for CBP? That's a good question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.