Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
At BOS, EWR, and even sometimes at ORD, I have sometimes found the MPC users in my travel parties going from the federal inspection hall to the landslide public arrivals area faster than GE users. It's infrequently the case, but it happens enough times that MPC has been useful even for some GE members like me. I would suggest that applicable GE members have MPC set up for use too -- all in the off-chance that the functioning GE machines and/or lines for it make it apparent that MPC may get the person around having to wait longer for a functioning GE machine or whatever line follows the machine use for the GE member using GE.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:49 pm

Post Mobile pass vs GE

Originally Posted by dustman81
That CBP agent is full of crap. You can go through the regular lines like everyone else.

From the FAQ on globalentry.gov: "As a Global Entry member, am I required to use the Global Entry kiosk when entering the United States?

No. Global Entry members can choose not to use the kiosk and can be processed by CBP officers."

With that said, I'd have her sign up for GE, so both of you can use the kiosks and get Precheck as a side benefit.

Good advice. I got Mobile Pass (for SEA) just before I got Global Entry. At SEA, Mobile Pass cuts in the front of the line for regular entry. And no kiosks and fewer people than GE. It has been excellent each time I used it. It has its own desk at customs as well. So easy and free of charge. Most of my domestic flights (SEA-PDX) automatically have pre-check. So, I probably will use GE primarily for pre-check on non-SEA domestic flights, unless the system changes under DT or mobile pass becomes too popular.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: 1MM UA Gold
How close are GE and MP kiosks at SFO?

Ok, I'm traveling from ICN with my wife (UA892 arriving Oct 22). I have Global Entry, and she just set up Mobile Passport for the first time.

Do these two two systems use different kiosks (I'm thinking yes); assuming yes, how far apart are they?

i'm wanting not to get separated from my wife (she's a very infrequent international traveller).

Thanks for your advice!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by theise
Ok, I'm traveling from ICN with my wife (UA892 arriving Oct 22). I have Global Entry, and she just set up Mobile Passport for the first time.

Do these two two systems use different kiosks (I'm thinking yes); assuming yes, how far apart are they?

i'm wanting not to get separated from my wife (she's a very infrequent international traveller).

Thanks for your advice!
GE kiosks are to the left when entering the hall. Not close to Mobile Passport. Sorry.

Last edited by 747FC; Oct 22, 2017 at 2:25 am
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: 1MM UA Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
GE kiosks are to the left when entering the hall. Not close to Mobile Passport. Sorry.
Thanks for the feedback! I went ahead and set up mobile passport for myself, so we wouldn't get split. I'm not sure it actually accomplished anything, as I ended up answering all the same questions at the kiosks.

Come to think of it, this was probably because I didn't look at all the options, and just scanned in my passport (the first option).

My wife muttered a bit, then scanned her passport too. I have the impression she tried the mobile passport and it didn't work for her.

At any rate, we got through quite quickly.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Any chance that Global Entry users will be allowed to use the Mobile Passport app instead of the kiosks, but still use the GE line?

As things have evolved it seems like CBP pretty closely checks passports/identity anyway when exiting from the GE line, at least at IAD and a couple other places I've recently entered.

I wouldn't mind entering info on plane instead of at kiosk - because, you know, 45 seconds is worth something to me.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by drewguy
Any chance that Global Entry users will be allowed to use the Mobile Passport app instead of the kiosks, but still use the GE line?

As things have evolved it seems like CBP pretty closely checks passports/identity anyway when exiting from the GE line, at least at IAD and a couple other places I've recently entered.

I wouldn't mind entering info on plane instead of at kiosk - because, you know, 45 seconds is worth something to me.
I don't recall having my passport checked when exiting the GE kiosks any of the times I have entered at IAD. Did this happen recently?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Michilander
I don't recall having my passport checked when exiting the GE kiosks any of the times I have entered at IAD. Did this happen recently?
Yes - last three times through - December through early Feb. Cursory, but to confirm GE slip matches passport. (ONe was less than cursory - agent was questioning everyone for a bit)
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by drewguy
It’s sort of happened before where MPC and GE lines were at least temporarily combined after baggage claim and so for the purpose of customs controls.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Using GE, I've never had my passport re-checked. On the flip side, using MPC once, I was able to use the GE line to exit customs, having nothing to do with me being a GE member.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent question about the Mobile Passport App which was not about a comparison between it and Global Entry or the Automated Passport Control kiosks was moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Several recent posts discussing procedures at several airports where there are no checks or inspections of Global Entry members upon exiting the baggage claim area and which did not compare Global Entry experiences to those using Mobile Passport App or or the Automated Passport Control kiosks were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:31 am

Several posts discussing CBP procedures at several airports where there is no separate checks at the exit from the customs hall after seeing the immigration official at the exit from the GE kiosks area were moved to the following thread:
TWA884

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 23, 2018 at 8:36 am Reason: Update URL
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:19 am

Is the best strategy to use the mobile app, then see which line seems faster, GE or MP? I see three issues:

1) There were references in this thread to issues with MP app when you are bringing in permitted food. Is that still the case?

2) There had been a question as to whether using the MP app would block you from using GE. This seems not to be the case, based on posts here and the FAQ for the MP app , which includes:

"It is great to use both the “Trusted Traveler” programs and the Mobile Passport app so you can choose the shortest line and breeze through Customs on your preferred program. Your results may vary depending on the airport and the time of day." https://mobilepassport.us/#question18

This seems to confirm that using the app doesn't shut you out from GE and that the answer to my question about the best strategy is "yes" - use the app, then pick the shortest line.

3) A prior advantage of GE was avoiding the customs line. Now that they've unified passport control and customs, this advantage is gone, at least in some airports. Discussion of this change is in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...screening.html
drewguy likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: UA MM
Mobile Passport Control app

I don't have GE. Should I sign up for Mobile Passport Control on my next trip? Is there a downside to using it and then finding that it makes sense to just go through the normal "automatic" machines that do the same thing (ask questions, scan pp, take selfie)? If it matters, my home port is BOS.

I see varied reviews online. Some say "as good as GE". Others say "They put you in the normal lines anyway, doesn't save any time". At BOS the wait is all in the time it takes between the APC machines and the human who looks at the passport. If using the mobile app just means you don't have to stop to use the machines on the way to the usually way-too-slow line, that's worth about 3 minutes, not a big deal. But I can't really figure out how it works. Any experience or does everyone who flies international frequently just go with GE?

Last edited by MojaveFlyer; May 4, 2018 at 1:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.