Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

PreCheck Lanes Operating Hours

Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheLifeOfA_NKCM
In an effort to keep track of the TSA's PreCheck Lines, please report your experiences here. Also help by posting the airport and AskTSA's responses at a corresponding airport as well.

If your airport is missing from this list, feel free to add it. The suggested format will be as follows:
Checkpoint / MM.DD.YYYY / Time / Open Or Closed /If closed, did you receive any expedited screening?

Ex. MSP
T1 South / 06.24.2016 / 4:00 / Closed / No, Standard Screening

Thanks for your help, let's make security predictable again.

__________________________________________________ _______________

*Please note, this list is WIP. Thanks for your patience

Maine
Augusta State Airport (AUG)
Bangor International Airport (BGR)
Hancock County-Bar Harbor Airport (BHB)
Knox County Regional Airport (RKD)
Portland International Jetport (PWM)

Massachusetts
Barnstable Municipal Airport (HYA)
Logan International Airport (BOS)
Martha's Vineyard Airport (MVY)
Nantucket Memorial Airport (ACK)
Provincetown Municipal Airport (PVC)

Michigan

Bishop International Airport (FNT)
Capital Region International Airport (LAN)
Cherry Capital Airport (TVC)
Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
Gerald R. Ford International Airport (GRR)
MBS International Airport (MBS)

Minnesota
Brainerd Lakes Regional Airport (BRD)
Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
AskTSA: 5AM-9PM; Both Checkpoints
@MSPAirport: 4:30AM-9PM; Both Checkpoints

St. Cloud Regional Airport (STC)

Missouri
Cape Girardeau Regional Airport (CGI)
Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
Kirksville Regional Airport (IRK)
Lambert-St. Louis International Airport (STL)
Springfield-Branson National Airport (SGF)

Montana

Billings Logan International Airport (BIL)
Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport (BZN)
Dawson Community Airport (GDV)
Glacier Park International Airport (FCA)
Glasgow International Airport (GGW)
Havre City-County Airport (HVR)
L. M. Clayton Airport (OLF)
Sidney-Richland Municipal Airport (SDY)

North Dakota
Bismarck Municipal Airport (BIS)
Grand Forks International Airport-Mark Andrews Field (GFK)
Hector International Airport (FAR)
Minot International Airport (MOT)
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Finding Precheck Hours

Does anyone know how to learn what the precheck hours are for various airports prior to scheduling flights? I was able to find a list of airports on the TSA website but not the hours.

Also, do most airports give "precheck light" when precheck is closed? Is there any way to know which airports will do this practice?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by guflyer
Does anyone know how to learn what the precheck hours are for various airports prior to scheduling flights? I was able to find a list of airports on the TSA website but not the hours.
https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/locator

Should show hours for enrollment centers, if they're closed around the holidays, and if the enrollment center is before or after security.

Also, do most airports give "precheck light" when precheck is closed? Is there any way to know which airports will do this practice?
I've never come across a "closed" precheck line at an airport which has been advertised to have precheck.

Sometimes - however - flying out of PHX on Delta (T3 I think) for example, Precheck is sent down the same lanes as normal screened passengers. You are given a card, showing your status. You are allowed to leave your shoes, jacket, hat, whatever on, but you will need to remove your laptop/liquids from bag.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks, 1200GS. I was actually inquiring about the hours of the precheck lines, but information about the enrollment centers is likely to be helpful to some who browse this thread.

Does anyone know if all checkpoints will allow (or are supposed to) allow one with precheck on their boarding pass to use the WTMD instead of a body scanner when precheck is closed?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by 1200GS
Sometimes - however - flying out of PHX on Delta (T3 I think) for example, Precheck is sent down the same lanes as normal screened passengers. You are given a card, showing your status. You are allowed to leave your shoes, jacket, hat, whatever on, but you will need to remove your laptop/liquids from bag.
LAX is the same for many of the redeye flights; the actual PreCheck lanes close up around 10:30, I believe. However, despite their insistence on laptops/liquids out in such cases, I've never bothered to do so in at least a dozen flights and have never been questioned. YMMV, of course.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Scifience
LAX is the same for many of the redeye flights; the actual PreCheck lanes close up around 10:30, I believe. However, despite their insistence on laptops/liquids out in such cases, I've never bothered to do so in at least a dozen flights and have never been questioned. YMMV, of course.
I had the opposite experience at PHX actually - funny you should mention that. The lazy TSA agent handed me my card and sent me on my way. This was my first time dealing with an airport without dedicated precheck. Even my smallest traveled airports have dedicated lanes - Spokane, Boise, etc. I proceeded as normal, threw my stuff on the belt, and walked through. I was waiting for my laptop bag to come through, and the screener had a look on his face as if I had just tried to pass a crate of grenades through the x-ray. His buddy asked if I had a laptop in my bag - I told him 'of course i do, doesn't everyone?' - showed him my precheck pass. They explained the policy, which no one thus far had briefed me on. I apologized, but told their supervisor that it would have been a much smoother (and quicker for everyone involved) process if simple instructions were given prior to screening.

At any rate, this was several months back - hopefully they've gotten it figured out by now.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

1200GS and Scifience,
were you able to go through the WTMD in these instances, or did they make you go through the body scanner?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
were you able to go through the WTMD in these instances, or did they make you go through the body scanner?
WTMD. At least at LAX, when you get to the AIT scanner, they will take the "Pre-Check OK" card the document checker gives you and direct you through the WTMD off to the side.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:35 pm

Precheck, regardless of how it is done, always gets the WTMD.

I don't understand why when Precheck traveler's bags go through the same machine as non-Precheck, that TSA can not find a way to mark those bags so we don't have to take out our laptops and liquids. It seems like it would be an easy thing to do. They do it with flight crews.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I was going through precheck at SNA a few weeks ago. Ding ding, I got the "random" alert. The smurf told me to go through the NOS. I say no way, I'm precheck. He says "if you don't we need to swab your hands." I go fine. He swabs my hands and that's that.

They are starting to screw around with precheck passengers with the NOSs. It will get worse.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE

I know I can't be the only one wondering, and I've found old threads with the same questions, but does anyone know if there's a published list of when PreCheck lanes are open at various airports and terminals/airline checkpoints? For instance, I know Precheck is open until 8:00PM at SLC for T2 (DL), but have no idea when it's open over at T1. Or really any airport, for that matter. Is there some official, or crowd-sourced list anywhere, here or elsewhere on the internet? Feel free to merge/move/whatever if this isn't the right spot.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
TSA used to have this on their website, but did away with it, probably due to the maintenance required to keep up with all the changes, and the fact that they were often not open when the site said they'd be. And in places like ORD T1, where there are actually 3 checkpoints that have PreCheck, it was probably too difficult to keep track.

The wiki in the master TSA thread in the UA forum has some crowd-sourced times, although by no means complete and probably out-of-date in many cases.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...4-15-a-30.html
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
TSA used to have this on their website, but did away with it, probably due to the maintenance required to keep up with all the changes, and the fact that they were often not open when the site said they'd be. And in places like ORD T1, where there are actually 3 checkpoints that have PreCheck, it was probably too difficult to keep track.

The wiki in the master TSA thread in the UA forum has some crowd-sourced times, although by no means complete and probably out-of-date in many cases.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...4-15-a-30.html
Thanks. Yeah, google found that thread when I initially was digging. I'm particularly interested in Terminal 1 at SLC, because I only ever fly out of T2 and 90% of the time it's before they close the line at 8:00PM. The UA one makes it look like Pre is only open at haphazard times (since they only have a few flights out of SLC). But what about all the other airlines? AS, AA, B6, WN, etc? I have a redeye on B6 next week and am dreading the potential for a packed T1 area, due to the concentration of late night departures, primarily for other redeyes.
Maybe I'll just walk down to T2, go through the DL line, and tell them I just want to use the SkyClub or something...
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I realize that you are probably correct, but that is such total crap. How hard is it to maintain hours of operation on a website that thousands of people could use as a resource? Ridiculous.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: DL FO
The closing of PreCheck lines is ridiculous in the first place. Last week at ATL, the PreCheck line closed at 9 pm and going through security at 9:15 there were no fewer than 20 PreCheck eligible pax pissed off that they had to go through the standard screening.

It's not like if they left it open they would have nobody to go through it, all sorts of flights leave ATL after 9 pm
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by DemonDeacon
The closing of PreCheck lines is ridiculous in the first place. Last week at ATL, the PreCheck line closed at 9 pm and going through security at 9:15 there were no fewer than 20 PreCheck eligible pax pissed off that they had to go through the standard screening.

It's not like if they left it open they would have nobody to go through it, all sorts of flights leave ATL after 9 pm
Those are my thoughts exactly. In know SLC has a bunch of flights just from T2 that leave at 6:00 on the nose, all day long, up until the DL red eye to JFK that leaves around midnight. I don't remember when it opens, but it's never been open when I arrive 30 minutes early for 6:00-7:00 departures. And I also have taken a lot flights departing late, as well. I'm not going to get to the airport 30 minutes earlier than I need to, just to use the pre line. I'll just do precheck light via the sky priority line, and grumble under my breath. I feel bad for travelers at airports whose airlines tell them when the pre check like is open, but it's convoluted like "8:00-10:30AM, then 2:15-3:47 PM, then 5:30-8:00. But then on Tuesdays it's open from 8:00-8:00, and on Saturdays it's open only if Wanda feels like manning the precheck lane."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.