Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mcarney64
I am new to this forum and haven’t been through all of the posts (been posting on the GE first time processing page)

My boyfriend and I cruise a lot - been to the same countries, work at the same place, have the same low level security clearance - I applied for GE on 02/07/19, was approved on 04/23/19, had my Interview and received my GE card within 7 days.

My boyfriend applied on 02/10/19 ... We just got off our cruise and finally able to check on my boyfriend’s status ... after 23 1/2 weeks and numerous escalations, emails and phone calls, he’s been denied - reason was: “You have been found to have violated CBP laws, regulations or other related laws - you do not meet the program eligibility requirements” WTH!!!! Can they be any more less specific? He’s never been arrested, has low level security clearance for work (same as me). The only thing that we can think of is that about 5 years ago, we were flagged debarking the cruise ship for having more than the allotted amount of cartons of cigarettes... he’s been flagged to see customs for alcohol or cigarettes occasionally (because the ship sends customs a list of those who buy more than the allowance) and once he goes to talk to customs officers, he either pays the duty or they waive it ... no citations, tickets, arrests, anything ... no biggie - he doesn’t mind paying duty.

i guess his next course of action action would be to write them and ask what specifically disqualified him so he can write an explanation (shrug)

not sure, but what are the chances of him getting approved for TSA precheck while this mess GE mess is being researched?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated ... we are both beyond frustrated at this point.

Thank you
From what you posted it sounds like even though he has not be arrested or fined per se there were reports filed and they are considering that as evidence of a pattern of continued behavior. He might appeal but I can’t say if he’ll be successful. His GE application denied status and potential appeal should not have any impact on a TSA PreCheck application and approval.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47

From what you posted it sounds like even though he has not be arrested or fined per se there were reports filed and they are considering that as evidence of a pattern of continued behavior. He might appeal but I can’t say if he’ll be successful. His GE application denied status and potential appeal should not have any impact on a TSA PreCheck application and approval.
Thank you ... this is the only thing that we can think of ... cruise ships sell cigarettes and alcohol (buy 2, get 1 free) in bulk and it’s not like he’s buying 10 liters or cartons ... it’s usually 1 or 2 over limit and since I’m always in the same room, I declare the extra and he pays duty “if” the officer says so (which has only been 1x ... all others the officer just verified our passports and waived us through)

i just wish wish they would have said what the “offense” was and that would help ... he will write to them, it in the meantime, I’ll just have him apply for TSA precheck for our upcoming travels.

thanks again
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The simple policy, whether you like it or not, is that GE is a "trusted traveler program" and that people who have broken the rules before are not to be trusted and thus are not granted GE.

Not sure what you mean by "flagged" but if what you mean is that he failed to declare excess tobacco, he made a false statement on his Declaration and that would more than likely be a good reason to deny him GE.

You won't get answers to your questions. What he can do is file a FOIA request and he may find some detail in those materials. But, more than likely this application was doomed from the start.

As others note, he's out the $100, but he is unlikely to be denied TSA Pre-Check based on a minor Customs violation for which he was not prosecuted.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am new to this forum and haven’t been through all of the posts (been posting on the GE first time processing page)

My boyfriend and I cruise a lot - been to the same countries, work at the same place, have the same low level security clearance - I applied for GE on 02/07/19, was approved on 04/23/19, had my Interview and received my GE card within 7 days.

My boyfriend applied on 02/10/19 ... We just got off our cruise and finally able to check on my boyfriend’s status ... after 23 1/2 weeks and numerous escalations, emails and phone calls, he’s been denied - reason was: “You have been found to have violated CBP laws, regulations or other related laws - you do not meet the program eligibility requirements” WTH!!!! Can they be any more less specific? He’s never been arrested, has low level security clearance for work (same as me). The only thing that we can think of is that about 5 years ago, we were flagged debarking the cruise ship for having more than the allotted amount of cartons of cigarettes... he’s been flagged to see customs for alcohol or cigarettes occasionally (because the ship sends customs a list of those who buy more than the allowance) and once he goes to talk to customs officers, he either pays the duty or they waive it ... no citations, tickets, arrests, anything ... no biggie - he doesn’t mind paying duty.

i guess his next course of action action would be to write them and ask what specifically disqualified him so he can write an explanation (shrug)

not sure, but what are the chances of him getting approved for TSA precheck while this mess GE mess is being researched?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated ... we are both beyond frustrated at this point.

Thank you
I would say he should apply for PreCheck directly and also use FOIA to see what CBP has on him.

If he has a low level security clearance and no criminal record, then he should have a very high chance of getting PreCheck membership unless there has been some kind of confusion between his identity and that of someone else. If he’s denied for PreCheck membership, then it’s likely there is something more going on than the import of cigarettes and alcohol for personal consumption.

When he was flagged for cigarettes and/or alcohol import, had he already made a written or verbal or electronic declaration about importing cigarettes/alcohol for each trip where that happened?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

I would say he should apply for PreCheck directly and also use FOIA to see what CBP has on him.

If he has a low level security clearance and no criminal record, then he should have a very high chance of getting PreCheck membership unless there has been some kind of confusion between his identity and that of someone else. If he’s denied for PreCheck membership, then it’s likely there is something more going on than the import of cigarettes and alcohol for personal consumption.

When he was flagged for cigarettes and/or alcohol import, had he already made a written or verbal or electronic declaration about importing cigarettes/alcohol for each trip where that happened?
Flagged as in when you scan out for the last time on a cruise ship, they used to have something pop up and telling you to go see customs - at that point, you then show them your declarations form which we always filled out ... at that time, customs would either stamp it with waived (meaning they looked over it) or imposed a duty - no biggie. Now, instead of getting ‘flagged’ at scanning out, they will send a letter to your cabin on the last night to see the customs officer the next morning before scanning out ... there is always a long line as many people will buy more than the allowed amount and again, the customs officer will either waive or impose duty ... it’s not like locked up abroad where he is trying to smuggle in an obscene amount of alcohol or cigarettes.

Yes, we both have low level security clearance with the DOD

Originally Posted by Often1
The simple policy, whether you like it or not, is that GE is a "trusted traveler program" and that people who have broken the rules before are not to be trusted and thus are not granted GE.

Not sure what you mean by "flagged" but if what you mean is that he failed to declare excess tobacco, he made a false statement on his Declaration and that would more than likely be a good reason to deny him GE.

You won't get answers to your questions. What he can do is file a FOIA request and he may find some detail in those materials. But, more than likely this application was doomed from the start.

As others note, he's out the $100, but he is unlikely to be denied TSA Pre-Check based on a minor Customs violation for which he was not prosecuted.
He has always filled out the declarations form and as stated under the other post, him being ‘flagged’ is when you scan out off the cruise ship for the last time - they used to ‘flag’ people who bought more than say 2 bottle of alcohol on board (because there was 2 adults in the same cabin) or more than 3 cartons of cigarettes (1 carton each and everyone opens 1 carton and smokes while cruising) —- he is not alone - there is usually a long line of passengers that have to see the customs officers ... that’s why they (CBP) comes on board and sets up tables on the ship ... you go, declare and be on your way .... it’s only happened maybe a handful of times in the last 30+ cruises, so - he’s not a smuggler - alcohol and cigarettes are cheaper on the ship - that’s all

What is a FOIA and where can this be found?

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 28, 2019 at 10:58 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
The only thing that we can think of is that about 5 years ago, we were flagged debarking the cruise ship for having more than the allotted amount of cartons of cigarettes...
Truly sorry about the denial, and I hope it gets overturned.

I guess we now know that an additional risk that smoker's take is GE denial.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:28 pm

Flagged as in when you scan out for the last time on a cruise ship, they used to have something pop up and telling you to go see customs - at that point, you then show them your declarations form which we always filled out ... at that time, customs would either stamp it with waived (meaning they looked over it) or imposed a duty - no biggie. Now, instead of getting ‘flagged’ at scanning out, they will send a letter to your cabin on the last night to see the customs officer the next morning before scanning out ... there is always a long line as many people will buy more than the allowed amount and again, the customs officer will either waive or impose duty ... it’s not like locked up abroad where he is trying to smuggle in an obscene amount of alcohol or cigarettes.

Yes, we both have low level security clearance with the DOD

He has always filled out the declarations form and as stated under the other post, him being ‘flagged’ is when you scan out off the cruise ship for the last time - they used to ‘flag’ people who bought more than say 2 bottle of alcohol on board (because there was 2 adults in the same cabin) or more than 3 cartons of cigarettes (1 carton each and everyone opens 1 carton and smokes while cruising) —- he is not alone - there is usually a long line of passengers that have to see the customs officers ... that’s why they (CBP) comes on board and sets up tables on the ship ... you go, declare and be on your way .... it’s only happened maybe a handful of times in the last 30+ cruises, so - he’s not a smuggler - alcohol and cigarettes are cheaper on the ship - that’s all

What is a FOIA and where can this be found?
If you do not know why you were denied, then you will need to submit a request for personal records to the CBP/Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Division, in accordance with federal privacy laws. For additional information about filing a FOIA request with CBP, please visit our website: http://www.cbp.gov/site-policy-notices/foia. Additional program information is available through the Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) application website: https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:10 pm

Reconsideration wait

Any idea how of the current wait for reconsideration after denial?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:17 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Not sure what you’re asking

Originally Posted by MichaelGE
Any idea how of the current wait for reconsideration after denial?
not sure what you’re asking - do you know why you were denied in the first place? Do you have a new evidence to bring that would have a bearing on the denial? I’m not sure that just reapplying makes sense without any new information.

Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr

not sure what you’re asking - do you know why you were denied in the first place? Do you have a new evidence to bring that would have a bearing on the denial? I’m not sure that just reapplying makes sense without any new information.

My status changed to “denied”. I applied for reconsideration, not reapplying a new application. My question is how long does it take for reconsideration?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:48 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I’m not sure anyone here can answer that

I’m not sure why they wound even reconsider unless you addressed why you were denied? And even then I’m sure the timeline varies.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by squeakr
I’m not sure why they wound even reconsider unless you addressed why you were denied? And even then I’m sure the timeline varies.

wound? Did you mean “would”?

Yes, of course I addressed the reason, that is the sole purpose for the option of reconsideration.

<deleted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 13, 2019 at 11:54 am Reason: Non-contributive
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:53 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hello @MichaelGE,

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The there are several reports from 2018 in this thread of successful appeals to the ombudsman; they all took approximately nine months to be resolved.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Hello @MichaelGE,

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The there are several reports from 2018 in this thread of successful appeals to the ombudsman; they all took approximately nine months to be resolved.

Thank you for the welcome and for the answer!!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:34 pm

FOIA Request for Global Entry denial?

After getting a denial and asking the ombuds why, i got a reply to submit a FOIA request, i went to the link the ombuds provided: https://www.foiaonline.gov/foiaonlin...public/request and in the section where it asks TYPE OF RECORDS REQUESTED it doesnt have anything listed for TTP denials

When i am on the CBP site it says to contact the enrollment office for FOIA denial requests https://www.cbp.gov/site-policy-notices/foia/records

Have any person gotten the FOIA request processed successfully?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.