Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAXative
How does the TSA relate to anything being discussed here?

We should bring in the Coast Guard, Secret Service, and FEMA as well, since they're "under DHS."
Global Entry qualifies you for TSA Precheck. DHS controls both agencies.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.580 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Listed every country within the timespan requested, even if just connecting to another flight. I couldn't determine what they meant so went overboard to make sure they couldn't question my not listing a country.

As for customer service, what can I tell you? I was happy.

I had a trip coming up, didn't see any slots online, and just called in hopes of a cancellation opening... Was told they were booked, but to show up and ask for a specific agent. The interview was easy, logical, rational, and with humor. I even did it side-by-side jointly with my spouse. He asked for some followup documentation before final approval, and gave me his email and cell. When I sent a clarification question, he said he had already cleared thing with his supervisor and we were both approved and ready to go. Not what I expected, but my experience at LAX was simply fantastic. YMMV.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:52 pm

I find it interesting that the letter says if you had a pardon from any country you are ineligible. Compare this with their own slide show:

http://www.globalentry.gov/pdfs/GE_StepByStep_final.pdf

Look at page 62 of the slide show. I'm only citing to this because their own statements are conflicting, they don't give a great deal of guidance, and if we guess wrong we have demonstrated "bad moral character" by engaging in deceptive behavior.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by dll
I'm an openly gay dude and had no problems with my interview (LAX, not SFO) although I do not recall it coming up specifically, I may have mentioned it when asked about travel companions.
It's difficult to imagine that CBP has a systematic bias on GE for gay men.

It is not so difficult to imagine that some CBP agents have an anti-gay bias that might lead them to reject an applicant on that basis. If that was the case in this instance, he might want to seek a transfer away from SFO however.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by drewguy
It is not so difficult to imagine that some CBP agents have an anti-gay bias that might lead them to reject an applicant on that basis. If that was the case in this instance, he might want to seek a transfer away from SFO however.
That.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Bolding mine. Some members of the SF 49ers should take that advice too.

Old May 23, 2013, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In this case, you would be required to list the countries visited on your blue customs form when re-entering the USA. If this information is entered into the computer, it would be associated with your passport number and could be retrieved.
Long ago I was on two trips that involved many countries each. Faced with the fairly small blank on the customs form and a list of countries far too big to squeeze in my father simply listed continents and let the guy ask if he wanted to. They didn't.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yet another agreement.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Long ago I was on two trips that involved many countries each. Faced with the fairly small blank on the customs form and a list of countries far too big to squeeze in my father simply listed continents and let the guy ask if he wanted to. They didn't.
I use two or three letter country codes when I have that kind of issue.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Well, the verdict is in. My fiancé -- he of the former federal government security clearance, he who wore his clerical attire to his interview so there'd be no mistaking that he's a clergyman -- was also denied Global Entry.

His interview proceeded much like mine: rude, accusatory, and filled with false information apparently intended to trip him up, as if he were a threat. At one point the interviewer loudly said "Why is there a gap in your reported address list?" causing the other interviewees in the room to turn and listen. Of course there was no gap -- the GE employee had simply misread the dates -- but it really flustered my fiancé.

Again, he had a basic security clearance as a full-time Peace Corps recruiter, since he had to go digging into the lives of potential volunteers. He's even more of a Boy Scout than I am, and was ordained an Episcopal priest last year. He's a hospital chaplain, helping people through the most difficult times of their lives. Neither of us has ever had the slightest problem with the law or with any customs agency. And now CBP claims we're not trustworthy enough to handle our own customs declaration, or use the TSA Pre-Check line?

I'm sorry, but in a democracy we're entitled to know the reason behind insulting, boneheaded decisions such as these.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
I am wondering if you were perhaps denied based on your behavior during the interview? Nervous, shifty, etc?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Well, the verdict is in. My fiancé -- he of the former federal government security clearance, he who wore his clerical attire to his interview so there'd be no mistaking that he's a clergyman -- was also denied Global Entry.
Any response on your prior FOIA request or complaint to the ombudsman? I assume he'll file a FOIA request as well? Depending on who your Representative/Senator is, this also may be a good time to ask a district office case worker to look into it for you as they tend to get better/faster responses.

Please keep us updated.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by lovely15
I am wondering if you were perhaps denied based on your behavior during the interview? Nervous, shifty, etc?
Nope, and to be clear, it was fairly obvious from the moment both of us walked in that our interviews were going to be different from everyone else's present. We were asked more in-depth questions, even were both fed false information to try to trip us up. I'd only experienced that once before, when I flew El Al in college! I laughed it off with my GE interviewer, assuming I'd "passed" his little behavioral trick. Apparently passing wasn't an option for either of us.

Originally Posted by abaheti
Any response on your prior FOIA request or complaint to the ombudsman? I assume he'll file a FOIA request as well? Depending on who your Representative/Senator is, this also may be a good time to ask a district office case worker to look into it for you as they tend to get better/faster responses.

Please keep us updated.
No response to the ombudsman request; apparently those take 4-6 months.

We may write our Congressperson, especially given Kevin's status as a former federal employee, returned Peace Corps volunteer, and member of the clergy.

I got a response to the FOIA request after a month asking for a sworn, notarized statement attesting to my identity. Of course I would gladly have provided it at the outset, but nowhere on the form I filled in was that listed as a requirement. One can begin to see how they use attrition to limit the number of incoming requests.

I'm gonna go read some Kafka now....

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 12, 2021 at 2:45 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Keep up the fight and bury them in paperwork.
I prefer watching Space Balls to reading Kafka.

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
No response to the ombudsman request; apparently those take 4-6 months.

We may write our Congressperson, especially given Kevin's status as a former federal employee, returned Peace Corps volunteer, and member of the clergy.

I got a response to the FOIA request after a month asking for a sworn, notarized statement attesting to my identity. Of course I would gladly have provided it at the outset, but nowhere on the form I filled in was that listed as a requirement. One can begin to see how they use attrition to limit the number of incoming requests.

I'm gonna go read some Kafka now....
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:30 pm

Thanks for the great advice, both here and in private messages. Our working theory is that some combination of being two single males living together combined with our moving a lot -- the worst stretch was five moves in five years just after Kevin returned from Peace Corps -- triggered some algorithm that thinks we're too shifty for GE. Not exactly the most modern sentiment, given that we've been together 14 years and our moves were mostly for new jobs, doing our part to keep the economy afloat!

It would appear that this kind of case is exactly what the ombudsman is for. Here's hoping either their office or contacting our Congressperson provides some answers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.