Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:40 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

Please keep in mind that the Trusted Travelers forum is informational.

Members come here in search of information and practical advice about applying for the various Trusted Travelers programs; please limit your postings here to seeking and providing practical information, and sharing experiences and data points.

commentary and opinions about discussing "lifestyle" choices with CBP officers during Global Entry enrollment interviews belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Future argumentative posts will be summarily deleted.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
JonNYC likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by therani.arch
Can I write to the CBP Ombudsman telling that I used it outside US ?
It makes no difference.

AFAICT - GE is a discretionary program, that basically CBP has all says in term of who can join or not. Even you may have used the controlled substance legally, CBP can still exercise discretion to disprove the application deemed necessary.

FWIW - whenever CBP has access to it, CBP will use everything they can get, domestic and foreign, to determine program eligibility.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:34 pm

Has anybody been denied GE and then applied for PreCheck and gotten it?

Has anybody been denied GE and then applied for Pre-check and gotten it? Any info would be helpful since I don't want to waste $85
Felony over 30 years ago, spent $100 only to be denied and don't want to waste another $85
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mrsbrightside2
Has anybody been denied GE and then applied for Pre-check and gotten it? Any info would be helpful since I don't want to waste $85
Felony over 30 years ago, spent $100 only to be denied and don't want to waste another $85
Welcome to FlyerTalk @Mrsbrightside2!

There has been at least one FlyerTalk member who reported being approved for PreCheck after having been denied Global Entry:
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
I feel your pain. My GE denial in 2013 was equally baffling -- I'm a US citizen myself, and I've never had the slightest brush with the law or customs, anywhere -- and I never got an answer as to why I was denied. My working theory is that I inadvertently tripped some kind of algorithm that denies GE to people who move a lot. By a combination of coincidence and moving for work I had eight addresses in ten years, all of which had to go on the application form. I eventually resigned myself to a combination of standalone TSA PreCheck, for which I was immediately approved, and Mobile Passport Control, which at some airports still allows travelers to skip the line ŕ la GE, though that's changing.
P.S. I edited the thread title to make it more a specific and descriptive characterization of the topic.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Welcome to FlyerTalk @Mrsbrightside2!

There has been at least one FlyerTalk member who reported being approved for PreCheck after having been denied Global Entry:
P.S. I edited the thread title to make it more a specific and descriptive characterization of the topic.
Thanks for the info, I suppose I'll try again and if worst comes to worst I'll be out the $85. I, too, have moved around a lot though I know it was the felony 30 years ago that was my doing in...Though it's very discouraging.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 3, 2018 at 8:39 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member for readability
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:46 pm

Thanks for the info, I suppose I'll try again and if worst comes to worst I'll be out the $85. I, too, have moved around a lot though I know it was the felony 30 years ago that was my doing in...Though it's very discouraging.
Very good.

I'll go ahead and merge your question into the relevant thread.

You may also want take a look at the Global Entry With Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Convictions and Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry? threads.

TWAA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
GE and TSA Precheck are different programs with different requirements.

As soon as you are not convicted with the list of the offenses listed by TSA, you should be able to get the Precheck.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:47 am

Thanks! I looked on the TSA website but couldn't find the list of offenses, can you please provide a link or direct me to find that list?

Thank you in advance!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:56 am

Thanks! I looked on the TSA website but couldn't find the list of offenses, can you please provide a link or direct me to find that list?

Thank you in advance!
The list is found on the TSA website Disqualifying Offenses web page.

[Moderator's hat on]

Since this question is about applying for TSA PreCheck as opposed to applying for Global Entry, please continue this discussion in the TSA PreCheck Enrollment Experiences and Timeline thread or start a new thread specifically on the topic of applying for PreCheck with criminal convictions.

Thank you.

[Moderator's hat off]
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:55 pm

Approved
Originally Posted by MCOFlyer77
TSA PreScreen Interview at DCA on 10/26/18.
Eligibility Determined on 11/7/18.
KTN Assigned on 11/10/18.

Had a felony 14 years ago and was not an issue, however it caused a manual review of application, causing a brief delay in determination. Extremely satisfied with the process.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:28 pm

Thanks! That's encouraging news. That said, I'll be applying for pre-check even though the $85 is a tough pill to swallow after dumping $100 down the drain. I'll post with my outcome.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:10 am

appeals can work

just a personal anecdote. was arrested many years ago for bringing pharmies from mexico, fined and released, never went to court. came up on global entry app and was initially denied. appealed with a letter stating i had learned from it, was currently a contributing member of society, etc. approved 9 months later. therefore even if your denied for a dui, an appeal could work.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by tbstan
just a personal anecdote. was arrested many years ago for bringing pharmies from mexico, fined and released, never went to court. came up on global entry app and was initially denied. appealed with a letter stating i had learned from it, was currently a contributing member of society, etc. approved 9 months later. therefore even if your denied for a dui, an appeal could work.
Welcome to FT! Thank you for sharing your experience. Question: How long ago was your Mexican adventure, what quantity were you caught with, and how old were you at the time?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:34 pm

How to get more information from GE denial

I have relocated to Tijuana and applied for GE since i cross the border to attend medical appointments at the veteran hospital in San Diego, i initially applied for NEXUS since i was living in Seattle but switched it to GE when i arrived in TJ as the NEXUS office was in LA, anyways i had my interview in SD they asked about my income, i said im a disabled vet, they said since i dont work i am considered high risk.

They asked if i was arrested and i said, my parents had me arrested over a decade ago but i dont remember much about it. My interview was on 2/12/19 and i emailed SENTRI on 3/29, they replied on 4/3 stating i was denied due to not being qualified for GE. After logging in the letter stated the same thing. I did contact the Ombudsman through the online portal asking for information as to why i did not meet the qualifications.

Is there anything more i can do, i mean they dont tell me exactly why i was denied or the reason i am not qualified how can a person make a proper appeal
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
There are several threads about GE denials

There are several threads about GE denials
The bottom line is that they will rarely if ever tell you exactly why you were denied, but if you were told that you were high risk because of no job and limited income you can assume that was certainly part of it. IMHO if you told them you were arrested by your parents 10 years ago that we didn’t remember much about it that would also be a huge red flag especially if you didn’t have the disposition of the arrest

You can certainly wait to hear from the ombudsman, but to be honest I think it’s unlikely you would be granted GE in any case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.