Go Back   > > >

Old Jan 31, 17, 12:47 pm   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
Having a passport doesn't means someone isn't on a watch list and there are different lists.

Another consideration is your travel pattern. If you're not going to be traveling internationally and don't have a regular travel pattern DHS may consider you not qualified to have such a privilege. Or if you have traveled with any regularity to specific destinations and/or have flown to "trouble areas".
You know what is funny - given everything that is going on right now - I am going to Dubai in March for a class trip. I was wondering if that had something to do with it.

I go out of the country at least 1 a year. Normally to warmer climate places - Mexico, Brazil, Jamaica, Aruba, just to name a few....

I was thinking because I didnt go anywhere in 2016 - I was doing house work so I skipped the yearly trip - and if my travel pattern was a reason but I read others who said they rarely go out of the country and had no issues.
c2briggs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 17, 4:53 pm   #242
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2briggs1 View Post
Currently 32. I was under 18 when he had his issues. Between the ages of 10 -16 where he was in and out of jail. Drug issues. He owes no more fines. Has a clear police report - had to get one for his job. He is definitely doing the right thing right now.

But the interviewer didn't ask about him in detail. Just asked who I lived with and I told him. There wasn't any other conversation surrounding it.

You can believe when I got the denial - I asked him if he was straight and if he were behind on anything. He assured me the answer was no.
Drug possession or drug distribution? Even if he was charged with the intent to distribute, that might raise a red flag.

I've had two GE interviews and they never asked about any of my relatives, so the fact they asked about your uncle also raises a red flag that there might be something connected with him that set off alarms.

Quote:
You know what is funny - given everything that is going on right now - I am going to Dubai in March for a class trip. I was wondering if that had something to do with it.
I doubt it. Dubai isn't on the list of seven countries, and I have a hard time believe the change in administration has had anything to do with GE approvals -- they're focused on keeping others out.

Quote:
I go out of the country at least 1 a year. Normally to warmer climate places - Mexico, Brazil, Jamaica, Aruba, just to name a few....

I was thinking because I didnt go anywhere in 2016 - I was doing house work so I skipped the yearly trip - and if my travel pattern was a reason but I read others who said they rarely go out of the country and had no issues.
No, it shouldn't have influenced the decision. I'm sure that in some of the 5 years prior to my first application, I only traveled internationally once a year.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 31, 17 at 5:06 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
chgoeditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 17, 5:53 pm   #243
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Quote:
Currently 32. I was under 18 when he had his issues. Between the ages of 10 -16 where he was in and out of jail. Drug issues. He owes no more fines. Has a clear police report - had to get one for his job. He is definitely doing the right thing right now.

But the interviewer didn't ask about him in detail. Just asked who I lived with and I told him. There wasn't any other conversation surrounding it.

You can believe when I got the denial - I asked him if he was straight and if he were behind on anything. He assured me the answer was no.
His being behind or on time with paying restitution, fines or whatever isn't what drives a denial of GE like a guilt by association aspect for living with someone with a criminal record may.
GUWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 17, 6:41 pm   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
His being behind or on time with paying restitution, fines or whatever isn't what drives a denial of GE like a guilt by association aspect for living with someone with a criminal record may.
Idk. Frustrating process for sure. I've contacted a lawyer and plan on going to to court. I'm waiting for my FOIA paperwork now.

Hopefully I can give an update in the next couple of months.
Old Feb 1, 17, 7:21 am   #245

Programs: UA Plat, B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Quote:
You filed the appeal. Now you wait. Do not get a lawyer involved, yet as you'll probably set yourself back on the list and further complicate the situation. Do not reapply or try to get into another program.
There's one big exception to this: if part of the reason you wanted GE was for PreCheck, by all means apply to that immediately. I and all others I'm aware of who were denied GE for no stated reason were swiftly approved for PreCheck. It makes sense if you think about it: PreCheck is concerned only with identifying the infinitesimal number of people who might pose an inflight security risk, while GE is trying to exclude all potential customs scofflaws.

Quote:
Idk. Frustrating process for sure. I've contacted a lawyer and plan on going to to court. I'm waiting for my FOIA paperwork now.

Hopefully I can give an update in the next couple of months.
Good luck! I started this thread in 2013 after a baffling denial for myself and my spouse. We never got to the bottom of why, and we stopped short of getting our congressman involved. We're at peace with it. And TBH, now that Mobile Passport is so prevalent, we don't miss GE for the 3-4 int'l trips we take per year.
RandomBaritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 17, 8:26 am   #246
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
...Good luck! I started this thread in 2013 after a baffling denial for myself and my spouse. We never got to the bottom of why...
Wow, that sure puts it in perspective!

A question, in your original posts on this subject you mentioned you were going to FOI your records in connection with this-- did you even get results back and were they illuminative at all?
JonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 17, 4:21 pm   #247

Programs: UA Plat, B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Wow, that sure puts it in perspective!

A question, in your original posts on this subject you mentioned you were going to FOI your records in connection with this-- did you even get results back and were they illuminative at all?
We threw in the towel after several FOIA requests were rejected for reasons that hadn't been outlined prior to making them. It seemed as if the process was designed explicitly to deter applicants, and in our case it worked. All was not lost, though, since as I mentioned PreCheck was two-thirds of the reason we had applied.
Old Feb 1, 17, 5:35 pm   #248

Programs: UA, SPG, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It's so convenient how government has made it look transparent yet made it difficult to question it. It's almost as if they planned it that way.

Quote:
We threw in the towel after several FOIA requests were rejected for reasons that hadn't been outlined prior to making them. It seemed as if the process was designed explicitly to deter applicants, and in our case it worked. All was not lost, though, since as I mentioned PreCheck was two-thirds of the reason we had applied.
Yoshi212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 17, 6:29 pm   #249
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
We threw in the towel after several FOIA requests were rejected for reasons that hadn't been outlined prior to making them. It seemed as if the process was designed explicitly to deter applicants, and in our case it worked.
Quote:
It's so convenient how government has made it look transparent yet made it difficult to question it. It's almost as if they planned it that way.
No doubt they sure do enjoy their petty torments and roadblocks . That said, I was very glad to have gone through the process and find out exactly what the issue was, and, in the case of those here who've gotten ominous and/or very curious-sounding answers in this process, I'm at *bit* surprised the curiosity doesn't get the better of them . YMMV, BIG time-- it's a long and frustrating process.
JonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 17, 7:18 am   #250

quick Update:

OF COURSE, my first FOIA request was denied.... due to missing DOB. So I have resubmitted another and asked for all records pertaining to the decision making for the global entry.

I was going to apply for the TSA pre check but I'm not going to spend another $85.00 after basically wasting $100 for the global entry program... be different if that was refundable, of course....

So we will see.
Old Feb 7, 17, 11:39 am   #251

Quote:
I was going to apply for the TSA pre check but I'm not going to spend another $85.00 after basically wasting $100 for the global entry program... be different if that was refundable, of course....
That seems penny wise and pound foolish to me, but then again PreCheck has saved me countless hours and headaches in the past few years. In addition, many high-end credit cards reimburse either GE or PreCheck fees, so if you've already used, say, your AmEx Platinum to cover the now-wasted GE fee, you could still use a different card to cover the PreCheck fee.
Old Mar 20, 17, 6:04 am   #252

Denial due to visa overstay as a child

A colleague / friend applied for Global Entry and did the interview but was denied. At the interview, the first line of questioning led to him disclosing that he'd been brought to the US as a child (4 or 5 years old) on a tourist visa, and that he had remained in the US until marrying a citizen several years ago, becoming a permanent resident and ultimately naturalizing. My understanding is that the rest of the interview went smoothly.

The denial letter listed 'Visa Overstay' as the reason, but given that it happened as a child, it seems like an ungenerous interpretation. Does he have any hope of success in appealing to the ombudsman, emphasizing that he was a young child when brought, and that he did not knowingly overstay?
seraphum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 17, 2:25 pm   #253
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphum View Post
A colleague / friend applied for Global Entry and did the interview but was denied. At the interview, the first line of questioning led to him disclosing that he'd been brought to the US as a child (4 or 5 years old) on a tourist visa, and that he had remained in the US until marrying a citizen several years ago, becoming a permanent resident and ultimately naturalizing. My understanding is that the rest of the interview went smoothly.

The denial letter listed 'Visa Overstay' as the reason, but given that it happened as a child, it seems like an ungenerous interpretation. Does he have any hope of success in appealing to the ombudsman, emphasizing that he was a young child when brought, and that he did not knowingly overstay?
I doubt he married before turning 18. Thus he was overstaying as an adult. The only defense would be if he didn't know he was here illegally.
Loren Pechtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 17, 4:40 pm   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphum View Post
This is such an unusual situation that no one here can say for sure. Certainly I feel for your friend, who must be disappointed in the insinuation that he is untrustworthy due to a visa overstay decision made by his parents. Having said that though, CBP denies GE for all sorts of reasons, fair and unfair. I myself was denied for no stated reason, which still rankles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
I doubt he married before turning 18. Thus he was overstaying as an adult. The only defense would be if he didn't know he was here illegally.
Setting aside your comment about the timing of his marriage, you bring up a good point about those brought here as children, those known as "DREAMers." As the US is the only home they've ever known, it seems odd to expect or insist that they return to the country of their birth upon their 18th birthday. But neither do they -- or anyone, for that matter -- have a right to GE. CBP is well within its rights to say their background is too muddy to allow GE approval.
Old Mar 20, 17, 9:48 pm   #255
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Setting aside your comment about the timing of his marriage, you bring up a good point about those brought here as children, those known as "DREAMers." As the US is the only home they've ever known, it seems odd to expect or insist that they return to the country of their birth upon their 18th birthday. But neither do they -- or anyone, for that matter -- have a right to GE. CBP is well within its rights to say their background is too muddy to allow GE approval.
And it's exactly that group that I think should be allowed to stay--and in my mind it doesn't muddy them at all. Expecting someone to up and move to a country they don't know and don't speak the language is unreasonable in my book.
Loren Pechtel is offline   Reply With Quote