Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 1:50 pm

Renewal
Applied March 25th
Approved May 12th
shuuy likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:33 pm

Surprised how quick it was on my first renewal..

Applied Apr 12th
Approved May 14th

No interview necessary
shuuy likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy
Now at 21 weeks 5 days and I've learned a couple more things
  • If it's longer than 12 weeks call and inquire
  • If you apply online, your US risk assessment gets done first
  • If you apply with paper your Canadian risk assessment gets done first
  • After an assessment gets done someone needs to create a "ticket" for the next desk to move it.
My US risk assessment was done 1 week after I last called (at week 18) ... but no one created the ticket for the Canadians do to anything with it.

We will get there - in the mean time, APEC lines for me
did you get your approval now? First time applicant at 16 weeks with no response yet. Also, does it help to call and if so, what number do i call?
Old May 22, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by SloJo
did you get your approval now? First time applicant at 16 weeks with no response yet. Also, does it help to call and if so, what number do i call?
6+ months, still pending. Have emailed [email protected] 10 business days ago (the last piece of advice from the US officer after exceeding 6 months), and no response yet.

Who you call first I think depends where and how you applied. My rule of thumb:
- if online (or US citizen), goes to US first. Try them (the NEXUS office at a border closest where you apply). Try them the first hour of the day, the last hour, or lunch time. They'll say "the website is the website", but persist and ask them to look up what's happening, and ask "where your application is"
- if paper (or Canadian citizen), then a Canadian office close to where you live. Leaving a message had them call me back. They'll also tell you the website is the website, but persisting and asking where the application is may yield clues.

Good luck
Old May 23, 2019, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think I waited too long to re-apply - I expire late June and just finished my online app to renew mid last month - which means my "pending review" status could be there until July-September.

Does anyone have any experience with how fast Global Entry and Precheck stop working once the Nexus card expires?
Old May 23, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Does anyone have any experience with how fast Global Entry and Precheck stop working once the Nexus card expires?
Your Nexus (and all related benefits) will remain valid for six months beyond expiration since you have a renewal application in process.
shuuy, bocastephen and TWA884 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA: PLT/US: Preferred Gold
Question

I recently moved to a not-particularly-close-to-Canada state, and am trying to figure out if I'm going to renew NEXUS or drop down to Global Entry. I don't strongly need NEXUS, but I do go home to Western NY at least once a year and it's nice to have the option to pop into Canada easily.

My expiration is in mid-August, and I have a decent amount of air travel in late August/September (though the closest I'll get to Canada is Seattle) and want to keep Pre-Check active. I usually travel back home around the holidays and could fit in an interview then. Based on that, I am thinking of the following:

- wait to renew until early August to take advantage of the six month grace period upon renewal
- if an interview is required, the TTP FAQs indicate you have 120 days to schedule; given renewal applications take weeks, that should cover most of the holiday-adjacent travel period
- schedule an interview at Fort Erie or Niagara Falls whenever I wind up traveling back

Do I have my timeline straight here? And is trying to get a holiday renewal slot during a limited time period going to be feasible, or near-impossible?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by AgentMunroe
I recently moved to a not-particularly-close-to-Canada state, and am trying to figure out if I'm going to renew NEXUS or drop down to Global Entry. I don't strongly need NEXUS, but I do go home to Western NY at least once a year and it's nice to have the option to pop into Canada easily.

My expiration is in mid-August, and I have a decent amount of air travel in late August/September (though the closest I'll get to Canada is Seattle) and want to keep Pre-Check active. I usually travel back home around the holidays and could fit in an interview then. Based on that, I am thinking of the following:

- wait to renew until early August to take advantage of the six month grace period upon renewal
- if an interview is required, the TTP FAQs indicate you have 120 days to schedule; given renewal applications take weeks, that should cover most of the holiday-adjacent travel period
- schedule an interview at Fort Erie or Niagara Falls whenever I wind up traveling back

Do I have my timeline straight here? And is trying to get a holiday renewal slot during a limited time period going to be feasible, or near-impossible?
You should renew TODAY. From the TTP FAQ: " If you submitted a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 6 months after your expiration date). "

Further, from the FAQ, the "120" days refers to the act of picking an interview date - not actually completing the interview. If an interview is required, you have 365 days to complete the interview. " If conditionally approved, you will receive a notification to schedule your interview. It is important that you follow the directions in that notification and within 120 days of becoming Conditionally Approved, schedule your interview appointment at an Enrollment Center. Failure to schedule an interview in that timeframe will cancel your application. "
and
" You should schedule an appointment as soon as possible after conditionally approved. Failing to attend the interview and completing the process within 365 days from the date of conditional approval will result in your application being cancelled. "

Renew TODAY - there is no benefit in waiting.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:38 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AgentMunroe

My expiration is in mid-August, and I have a decent amount of air travel in late August/September (though the closest I'll get to Canada is Seattle) and want to keep Pre-Check active. I usually travel back home around the holidays and could fit in an interview then.
As mnbp noted, you can and should renew now. Many renewing NEXUS members (including myself) have not required a renewal interview at all; we simply received a notification that our renewal was approved, then the card arrived a few days later.

If you do need an interview, renewing now will leave you with much more time and flexibility to schedule it.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
7 months and counting... still "pending". 30 days since filing a request on the CBP website.

Ugh
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by legalalien
Membership has now officially expired; renewal is still pending review after 10 weeks. Still got Pre for tomorrow's flight. Fingers crossed that it continues.
the nexus personnel said the nexus card is good for 6 month after it expires as long as you can prove you have applied before it expired. be prepared to show your goes account details
legalalien likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:50 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Applied for renewal: March 22, 2019
Approved (no interview): June 10, 2019

This is my second consecutive 5-year renewal without an interview. I didn't know they did that.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by shuuy
7 months and counting... still "pending". 30 days since filing a request on the CBP website.

Ugh
This is terrible! Have you escalated to anyone for answers?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:40 am

nexus renewal

this is my 3rd nexus renewal. Last time i renewed it took a few weeks. this time it has taken more than 2 months and still pending. anyone else have a long renewal process?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:31 am

Unhappy

Renewal submitted April 5th, expired April 21st. Late renewal I know but it's now June 21st and still waiting. Like everyone else, my last renewal was just a few weeks. Totally starting to worry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.