Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Alaska MVP Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by gigafishing
I'm a US citizen who became a Canadian PR about a year ago. I tried to update my NEXUS account last year to add my CA PR card, but because of the offices being closed, etc., it was done via Mail, Phone calls, and Emails to the Blaine office. Eventually they added it to my profile but it's listed under "documents proving you can enter the United States". But every time I used the NEXUS kiosk to re-enter Canada, the receipt said "V" and not "R" like my Canadian citizen spouse (I presume V=visitor and R=resident). But I just show my PR card with the NEXUS receipt and CBSA never says anything and waves me through.

Doing my renewal today - there's no where to indicate my Canadian PR status or card details, only if I was also a Canadian citizen to put in details about that. Is that going to be an issue with the renewal process? Or should I just anticipate having to interview for the renewal for the Canadian side to properly process my PR card in their system?
I might be wrong, but I always thought the V/R status came via the advance passenger information system at airline check-in. I'm a Canadian citizen who lived in the US for a few years, and got "V" on my receipt when I put my country of residence as United States, but went back to getting "R" again after I moved back to Canada (and put Canada as my country of residence at check-in).

I'd definitely show your PR card at the interview, but I'm not sure if having it in your NEXUS file with CBSA would have an effect on this particular thing.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by tuquee
I might be wrong, but I always thought the V/R status came via the advance passenger information system at airline check-in. I'm a Canadian citizen who lived in the US for a few years, and got "V" on my receipt when I put my country of residence as United States, but went back to getting "R" again after I moved back to Canada (and put Canada as my country of residence at check-in).

I'd definitely show your PR card at the interview, but I'm not sure if having it in your NEXUS file with CBSA would have an effect on this particular thing.
Interesting thought, though my flights back have been on UA where I’ve updated my residency to Canada and they ask to scan my PR card during check-in. Perhaps my US passport is still overriding that?

Anyway I submitted the renewal today so we’ll see what happens sometime between 2 weeks to 2 years.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: Southwest
It was disclosed in a recent article in the Point Roberts, Washington community newspaper All Points Bulletin that the grace period for a Nexus interview after receiving conditional approval has been apparently extended from two years to five years.

The backlog of Nexus and FAST applications in the queues of the CBSA and CBP has apparently grown to nearly 350,000 with approximately 11,500 new or renewal applications being received every day. That is going to take quite a while to clear.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:05 am

Finally!

Citizenship: Dual Canada/US (US is primary in application)
First renewal application: 2021-07-28
Approval without interview: 2022-08-28 (397 days, 1y 1m 1d)
New expiry date: birthday 2027 (a little under 5 years from now)
sambagrrl07 likes this.

Last edited by DualityOfNam; Aug 28, 2022 at 9:29 am
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I do not know the veracity or source of this information, but per this article https://www.allpointbulletin.com/sto...terviews,21059

Conditionally approved Nexus members who re-applied for membership before their card’s expiry date will now have a five-year grace period to complete their interview and receive a new card. That also applies to new applicants although they will not enjoy Nexus benefits until they actually receive a card allowing them to use the Nexus lanes. The previous grace period was two years.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 28, 2022 at 10:24 pm
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I submitted my renewal Aug 10, 2021... and still waiting. Hopefully my renewal will be processed soon! Why couldn't they process these in order the application was received?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
I submitted my renewal Aug 10, 2021... and still waiting. Hopefully my renewal will be processed soon! Why couldn't they process these in order the application was received?
It looks like they are, to a point. If you scroll up a bit, you'll see 4 posters with application dates of 7/17/2021, 7/18/2021, 7/22/2021 and 7/28/2021 (me) all approved in the last 5 days.

So for those applications that went into a black hole, approvals are happening now and, seemingly, in order. My guess is yours will be adjudicated in the next two weeks, if not sooner.
Jebby_ca and gwickes like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:48 pm

Data point for NEXUS renewal application:

First renewal (expiration in late 2022)
US citizen
Renewal application: 2022-06-25
Full approval (no interview required): 2022-08-15 (51 days)
Received card in mail: 2022-08-29
New expiration date: Birthday 2027
Address on notification letter in the TTP Dashboard was where I originally interviewed (Blaine).

I thought that I would likely need to interview because I moved states (WA->CA) and switched jobs, so I considered switching to Global Entry. Glad I took the chance to just go through with NEXUS renewal.
Countries visited since the initial application were Japan, Taiwan, and China, and I crossed the US/Canada border pretty regularly from 2017-2019.
DualityOfNam likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Alaska MVP Gold, United Silver
Got my renewal notice today!

Citizenship: Canada
Second renewal application: 2021-08-09
Approval without interview: 2022-08-30 (386 days, 1y 21d)
New expiry date (according to the TTP portal): birthday 2027

I was surprised to get the interview skipped — I had about six different home addresses in the past five years, and visited two additional countries (Iceland and the Netherlands). My card photo's also 10 years old, but I guess the machines have newer photo data to compare against from recent crossings.
DualityOfNam likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Got my renewal notice today as well!

Renewal application: 2021-08-10
Approval without interview: 2022-08-30 (385 days)
New expiry date: Birthday 2027
Address on notification letter: Blaine, WA - last interview location

My card photo is 10 years old as well - surprised I didn't need an interview!
DualityOfNam likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Got my renewal notice today as well!!
Yay! I think they finally got going on our applications.

Now if only Canada would open its Nexus locations for those who have to interview.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I got an email saying to:
1. renew Nexus. I have 6 months left before expiration.
2. they said that they are giving one year extension of validity past the expiration date

Originally Posted by DualityOfNam
Finally!

Citizenship: Dual Canada/US (US is primary in application)
First renewal application: 2021-07-28
Approval without interview: 2022-08-28 (397 days, 1y 1m 1d)
New expiry date: birthday 2027 (a little under 5 years from now)
What's the best strategy to get the most out of Nexus validity? Is it to wait until Nexus is expired in 2 months? Will the new Nexus card be issued about 12 months later, which is 1-2 months before the extension expires. If I apply now, I will get to use only about 6 months out of the 12 months extension.

How about credit card expiration date? Does Nexus charge the credit card now or in a year?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
What's the best strategy to get the most out of Nexus validity? Is it to wait until Nexus is expired in 2 months? Will the new Nexus card be issued about 12 months later, which is 1-2 months before the extension expires. If I apply now, I will get to use only about 6 months out of the 12 months extension.

How about credit card expiration date? Does Nexus charge the credit card now or in a year?
Definitely apply now before it expires so your privileges continue while your renewal application is in progress. If you wait till it expires, you will have lost the NEXUS privileges and will have to wait till the renewal is approved.

You might get lucky and your renewal is approved within a few short weeks but it could be up to a year or more.

Your card will be charged immediately when you apply online.
CorSter likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
1. renew Nexus. I have 6 months left before expiration.
2. they said that they are giving one year extension of validity past the expiration date

Use a credit card that reimburses the application fee and apply for renewal right after your eligibility opens up. Then you don't need to worry about maximizing the grace period and can just feel satisfied knowing you're keeping your account up to date. My fiancée got a little bit of hassle with an "expired" card while her renewal application was in process and I'd rather minimize that as much as possible.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by DualityOfNam
Definitely apply now before it expires so your privileges continue while your renewal application is in progress. If you wait till it expires, you will have lost the NEXUS privileges and will have to wait till the renewal is approved.

You might get lucky and your renewal is approved within a few short weeks but it could be up to a year or more.

Your card will be charged immediately when you apply online.
Thanks for the advice. Being a cheapskate, I think I will apply for renewal in about 2 months, which is 4 months before expiration. Besides, I'm busy in September and October. I might get the new card 11/1/2023. That might give me an expiration date a little more than 5 years.

What also might happen is the Nexus card won't be able to be used for Real ID because the printed date is expired, even if Nexus privileges are extended one year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.