Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Originally Posted by busyizzy
My data point:

Expiry: Aug 2021
Applied for renewal: June 7, 2021
Approved: July 18, 2022 (406 days)
No interview required. First renewal.
Have not received card yet as just approved this week
New expiry date on the system: Aug 2026

All my other family members and friends were about ... 2-7 days. So this was really giving me a lot of ANXIETY. Helps to see on from this thread that there's really no logic or reasoning behind this.... good luck, everyone!
Congratulations! From which enrollment center was your final approval letter addressed? How about the letters of your 2-7 day family and friends? Did you apply for renewal at the same time they did? This information may help us understand the role of enrollment centers in approving renewals and waiving interviews.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by busyizzy
My data point:

Expiry: Aug 2021
Applied for renewal: June 7, 2021
Approved: July 18, 2022 (406 days)
No interview required. First renewal.
Have not received card yet as just approved this week
New expiry date on the system: Aug 2026

All my other family members and friends were about ... 2-7 days. So this was really giving me a lot of ANXIETY. Helps to see on from this thread that there's really no logic or reasoning behind this.... good luck, everyone!
Did you get conditionally approved first?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:17 pm

I was approved fully, no interview required.

My approval letter was from:
BLAINE ENROLLMENT CENTER
8115 Birch Bay Square St. 104
BLAINE, WA 98230

Pretty sure this was where I did my interview when I first applied.

My friends/family applied all at different times, but they all renewed this year (2022 - Jan, March, April, May, June) and all for global entry, not nexus. Sorry for that confusion, forgot to specify that!
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:24 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wise Chaldean
Congratulations! From which enrollment center was your final approval letter addressed? How about the letters of your 2-7 day family and friends? Did you apply for renewal at the same time they did? This information may help us understand the role of enrollment centers in approving renewals and waiving interviews.
Still not following how collecting data set will drive any understanding of enrollment centre (EC) role in approving renewals and waiving interviews.

The only conclusion that can be made is the programming for generating the letter header is:
  • IF conditional approved, print Sterling, VA ELSE
  • IF final approved, print the most recent interview location.
This programming will effectively render EC's role (if any) impervious to attempts at reverse engineering the process thru crowdsourcing.

But let's say, for a moment, your theory is correct and last EC plays a role in renewals prior to an interview (despite CBSA published documents indicating otherwise in earlier posts) and we crowd source certain ECs are more lenient with issuing final approvals. How does this knowledge help a renewal applicant (eg I can't affect which EC a renewal application goes to)?
rossteixeira likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Anyone who's received a new card recently: could you see if the envelope states do not forward or similar on the outside of the envelope?
There's no such label on the front of the envelope. Don't remember about the back.

The blocked out areas are address, a number, and a barcode.
seawolf, YYCCL3 and birdy24 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
New appointments released in Niagara Falls from January to June 2023.

I hope this makes some people reschedule their appointments because I’d really like one during the first three days of December if possible.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Finkface
My data point:
Expiry: May 2023
Applied for renewal: May 20, 2022
Approved: July 8, 2022 (49 days)
No interview required. This is my second renewal with no interview needed.
Have not received card yet as just approved today
New expiry date on the system: May, 2028 (previous expiry date May 2023 + 5 years)
To close the loop, card received today, July 22 with expiry date the same as the letter, May, 2028.
For the person that was asking about the envelope, there is no 'do not forward' language on mine. Although getting a letter as a Canadian from an address just down the street from the White House kind of freaked me out a bit until I saw what it was. 😁
Majuki, YYCCL3 and sambagrrl07 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Still not following how collecting data set will drive any understanding of enrollment centre (EC) role in approving renewals and waiving interviews.

The only conclusion that can be made is the programming for generating the letter header is:
  • IF conditional approved, print Sterling, VA ELSE
  • IF final approved, print the most recent interview location.
This programming will effectively render EC's role (if any) impervious to attempts at reverse engineering the process thru crowdsourcing.

But let's say, for a moment, your theory is correct and last EC plays a role in renewals prior to an interview (despite CBSA published documents indicating otherwise in earlier posts) and we crowd source certain ECs are more lenient with issuing final approvals. How does this knowledge help a renewal applicant (eg I can't affect which EC a renewal application goes to)?
Two ways:
1. I'm interested, so knowing would help me and whoever else is. Understanding the system better is generally helpful for navigating it, even if the application is not immediate.
2. If I'm renewing and discover, to make up a fictional example, that lots of people who last interviewed at Port Huron are getting their renewal interview(s) waived or are receiving conditional approval soon after application, then if I get conditionally approved (renewing or first time) and live in the area, I'm going to schedule my interview there instead of in Detroit, in the hope that it will be me next time.

To answer your first point, crowdsourcing can't definitively determine causation, but it can certainly highlight correlation. If certain enrollment centers can be correlated with interview waivers and short application turnaround times, that is information worth knowing.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wise Chaldean
Two ways:
1. I'm interested, so knowing would help me and whoever else is. Understanding the system better is generally helpful for navigating it, even if the application is not immediate.
2. If I'm renewing and discover, to make up a fictional example, that lots of people who last interviewed at Port Huron are getting their renewal interview(s) waived or are receiving conditional approval soon after application, then if I get conditionally approved (renewing or first time) and live in the area, I'm going to schedule my interview there instead of in Detroit, in the hope that it will be me next time.

To answer your first point, crowdsourcing can't definitively determine causation, but it can certainly highlight correlation. If certain enrollment centers can be correlated with interview waivers and short application turnaround times, that is information worth knowing.
There at not enough data points available to generate a large enough sample size and even with a sufficient size, unless you have the full profile of each applicant there are too many other specific individual factors for the dataset to be reliable. I fully expect CBP/CBSA to throw in some randomness into it as well (eg some data points of infant/minor applicants taking months and months for approval while others approved in days).

After that you then have to deal with the letter printing logic obscuring any role EC may have just as how the NEXUS card mailer having a return address 3 blocks from the White House doesn’t mean it was actually manufactured/mailed from there (card and other documents such as passports produced by Government Printing Office).

Putting all that aside for a moment. Let’s play this out with the Port Huron example. You happen to be conditionally approved right now (NEXUS expired in 2021) and there is a Port Huron interview available tomorrow. You final approve there tomorrow with the secondary intent of repositioning your most recent interview to this favorable EC.

If I’m understanding what you are laying out, then I don’t see how that is going to be of any benefit until your next renewal in 2025 at the earliest (2021 + 4 years earliest renewal). The staff who are lenient on waiving interviews today may no longer be working there in the same position in 2025. Maybe they moved to Blaine in the future and working primary inspection instead of TTP approvals.

This seems to be a very long shot (and assuming EC have any role to begin with) and even if the 2025 interview is waived, no one knows whether a favorable EC had anything to do with it. IMO one would have better luck on obtaining a waiver with no change to primary residence/employer/travel, name not being similar to another individual having records in various government databases.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:05 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Save the Speculation for the Policy Debate Forum

The Trusted Travelers forum is informational. It is the place for discussing practical issues directly related to programs such as NEXUS.

Please confine your posts in this forum and thread to sharing data points of NEXUS renewals processing timelines and other verifiable facts, and seeking and offering advice about the renewal process.

If you wish to speculate whether some NEXUS enrollment centers process applications and renewals faster than others and/or what other factors may affect the renewal processing time, please start a thread in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Future posts which violate these guidelines will be deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Final data point, consolidated:

Expiry: Early 2022
Applied for renewal: May 27, 2021
Approved: July 12, 2022 (411 days)
No interview required, first renewal
Card received: July 23, 2022
New expiry date in system and on card: same early month in 2027 (previous expiry date + 5 years)

Approval address (first enrollment interview location was YUL):
MONTREAL ENROLLMENT CENTER
975 Romeo Vachon Blvd. North
Dorval, QC H4Y1H1
CA

The envelope the card arrived in looked the same as others posted above.

Last edited by sambagrrl07; Jul 24, 2022 at 5:28 pm
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:57 pm

When I log in online it says it won't email me to let me know when my application has been conditionally approved. Is this actually true? Do I have to keep checking all the time? it's been over a year.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 9:19 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Make sure you have NOT selected 'no email' in your profile. You (should) receive an email each time there is a status change on your application. But checking in once in a while is the FT way...
Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:05 pm

Any tips on when to check for appointments? I've been conditionally approved, but can't find any appointments near me.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:54 pm

Update on my 1st renewal.

Canadian citizen.

Expiry Date: Jan 2023
Applied: May 28,2022
Fully Approved: July 28, 2022 (61 days)
New expiry date on letter: Jan 2028

Shows activate card when comes. No interview needed. Address on letter notification is where I did original interview at YYZ in Toronto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.