Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Old Jun 27, 22, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by 1KChinito View Post
Check your new NEXUS card. New expiration date shall be Dec 2027, five years from Dec 2022.
Not so for me.
My new card came today and expires on my old card expiry date + 5 years (Dec 2026).
Old Jun 28, 22, 10:40 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by nrgiii View Post
Not so for me.
My new card came today and expires on my old card expiry date + 5 years (Dec 2026).
Thank you for sharing. You are the 2nd person reporting 5 years from previous expiration date.
Old Jun 28, 22, 10:50 am

Expiry date

Thank you for sharing. You are the 2nd person reporting 5 years from previous expiration date.
When were you conditionally approved? Was it before December 2021 or after December 2021?
Old Jun 28, 22, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by NanQuaBell View Post
When were you conditionally approved? Was it before December 2021 or after December 2021?
Not sure what you're asking. See post 1244. Conditional approval is given only when an interview is required, which it wasn't.
Old Jun 28, 22, 10:56 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by NanQuaBell View Post
nrgiii received final approval on June 15, 2022 (401 days).
Old Jun 28, 22, 11:04 am

nrgiii received final approval on June 15, 2022 (401 days).
Then if no interview required, that may be the reason a shortened timeframe of expiry date of the new card was given, Im not sure.
Old Jun 28, 22, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
How long is it taking for renewals? I submitted my renewal in march and now it's been 3.5 and the renewal is still pending...
It seems like different timeframes. Some quick, some waiting years, I've been a month.
Old Jun 28, 22, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Not sure what you're asking. See post 1244. Conditional approval is given only when an interview is required, which it wasn't.
When I applied for my NEXUS renewal 5 years ago, my renewal was conditionally approved and then I booked an appointment for interview.
However, before the interview date came my renewal was approved somehow and the appointment was canceled.
I am not sure the same thing is still happening or not recently... I hope so!
Old Jun 29, 22, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by MrJBoy View Post
When I applied for my NEXUS renewal 5 years ago, my renewal was conditionally approved and then I booked an appointment for interview.
However, before the interview date came my renewal was approved somehow and the appointment was canceled.
I have never experienced what you describe. I am on my 3rd renewal and my wife is on her 2nd, none of which required an interview.
My 2 kids are both on their 1st renewal and both require interviews, probably for new photos since their faces have changed so much between ages 14 and 19.
My son has his interview next week up in Blaine, WA. While it would be amazing if they canceled his appointment and just sent him a new card as you describe (avoiding a 600+ mile round trip drive from PDX), I don't see that happening.

nrg
Old Jun 29, 22, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by karensmith View Post
It seems like different timeframes. Some quick, some waiting years, I've been a month.
There's no logic to renewal durations. My wife got her renewal approved in 15 days. My renewal took 401 days and we traveled to the same places outside the U.S.
I suspect they are redoing background checks on some random percentage of Nexus renewals, and it is those checks that take a long time, but that is purely a guess.

nrg
Old Jun 30, 22, 3:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
I have never experienced what you describe. I am on my 3rd renewal and my wife is on her 2nd, none of which required an interview.
My 2 kids are both on their 1st renewal and both require interviews, probably for new photos since their faces have changed so much between ages 14 and 19.
My son has his interview next week up in Blaine, WA. While it would be amazing if they canceled his appointment and just sent him a new card as you describe (avoiding a 600+ mile round trip drive from PDX), I don't see that happening.

nrg
This (eg conditional approval on renewal/interview scheduled only for application to then go to fully approved weeks/months later but prior to interview) happened several years ago. There was a backlog back then. I'm surprised they didn't do the same now.

My data point
Expiration Sep 2021
Renewal/conditional approval Jan 2021
Interview completed June 2022
Card received 8 postal business days after interview.
New expiration Sept 2026 (prior expiration +5 years)

No interruption in Pre and NEXUS benefits.

Last edited by seawolf; Jul 11, 22 at 1:47 pm
Old Jul 6, 22, 4:01 pm

My data points

Nexus Expiration May 2020

Renewal submitted Nov 2019 (passport was expiring in Dec and I was advised to renew it before starting the process.)
Renewal/conditional approval Sept 2020 (but no interviews available!)
New expiration May 2025 (prior expiration date +5 years)
Old Jul 6, 22, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
This (eg conditional approval on renewal/interview scheduled only for application to then go to fully approved weeks/months later but prior to interview) happened several years ago. There was a backlog back then. I'm surprised they didn't do the same now.

My data point
Expiration Sep 2021
Renewal/conditional approval Jan 2020
New expiration Sept 2026 (prior expiration +5 years)

No interruption in Pre and NEXUS benefits.
How did you get your conditional approval in Jan 2020 which is more than 1 year prior to the expiration in Sep 2021?
Old Jul 6, 22, 5:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
How did you get your conditional approval in Jan 2020 which is more than 1 year prior to the expiration in Sep 2021?
Typo
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Jul 6, 22, 6:22 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Originally Posted by jix View Post
If conditional approval happens after original expiry date, then new expiry date is 5-6 years from date of interview approval to birthday
If conditional approval happens before original expiry date, then new expiry date is 5 years from original expiry date

Not saying above is the rule, but looks like is the case based on reading thru the threads.
Based on my experience, it's the final approval date (generally the same as the interview date, or the next business day), not the date of conditional approval, that determines the membership expiration date for new applicants, which is five birthdays from the interview date. If you interview on your birthday, I believe it's five (not six) years from that day.

For renewals, the new expiration date is five years from the previous one -- it doesn't depend on when the interview happens. Unless there is a mistake or inconsistency, which can certainly happen. For this reason, some NEXUS members let their membership expire and then re-apply as a new member to get an additional year of membership for the $50 they pay, but then your membership lapses until your new application is approved and you are interviewed, which for most of us is not worth it.

For adults renewing five years from their last interview with no major changes to their application information, the interview is often waived. That is, application status goes from "Pending Review" to "Approved" rather than to "Conditionally Approved", and you receive your new card in the mail shortly thereafter. For children and for adults who didn't interview for their last renewal (or whose information has changed), an interview is typically required. They like to take a new photo and look at your new passport.

Last edited by Wise Chaldean; Jul 6, 22 at 6:46 pm

Search this Thread