Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:34 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by CraigerC
... so I'm not sure where the other info is coming from about the 2 year thing. Expiry dates on renewal are 5 years out from the cardholders NEXT birthday.
When the renewal application is submitted before the original expiration date, the trusted traveler benefits are extended for up to two years pending the final approval of the renewal application.
seapad likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:09 am

Should I switch and do GE while waiting for (expired) Nexus?

My wife and I messed up and didn't renew our Nexus until AFTER it expired (expired in December, renewed in January). I hadn't paid attention and only figured it out after TSA Pre stopped working.

My wife got hers renewed within a few weeks, no interview needed. Mine is still awaiting conditional approval, and it looks like it'll potentially be QUITE a while. No idea why hers was so quick and mine not. My email got the standard long wait-time response.

In order to keep TSA Pre for U.S. domestic travel, I applied separately for that, and got a new TSA Pre number. I emailed Nexus in advance to ask if it was fine, and they said that was fine to do, it wouldn't affect my Nexus renewal application or status. Just an extra $85 out of pocket.

I don't travel internationally very often (esp. lately) but we do have a European trip coming up later this summer.

Q: Is it worth cancelling my Nexus application and reapplying for GE, in order to have Global Entry for the return from the trip (and any subsequent), until Nexus works through backlog)? (Seems I have to cancel Nexus otherwise I'm not allowed to even start a GE application).

We're returning into Chicago ORD. Luckily we have a long layover, and the world won't end if I'm in a long Customs line while my wife breezes through the GE lane.

I'm currently thinking just tough it out for another 6-18 months or however long it takes for Nexus to work their way up to me.

But curious on any pros/cons I may not have considered.

-Sky
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Welcome to FlyerTalk Skypalace!

We have a recent thread on this issue.Yes, you need to cancel your pending NEXUS renewal application before being able to apply for Global Entry. You can do so by contacting CBP at (877) 227-5511 or by email at [email protected].

If you are not a frequent international traveler, it does not seem to be worth it.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Skypalace
My wife and I messed up and didn't renew our Nexus until AFTER it expired (expired in December, renewed in January). I hadn't paid attention and only figured it out after TSA Pre stopped working.

My wife got hers renewed within a few weeks, no interview needed. Mine is still awaiting conditional approval, and it looks like it'll potentially be QUITE a while. No idea why hers was so quick and mine not. My email got the standard long wait-time response.

In order to keep TSA Pre for U.S. domestic travel, I applied separately for that, and got a new TSA Pre number. I emailed Nexus in advance to ask if it was fine, and they said that was fine to do, it wouldn't affect my Nexus renewal application or status. Just an extra $85 out of pocket.

I don't travel internationally very often (esp. lately) but we do have a European trip coming up later this summer.

Q: Is it worth cancelling my Nexus application and reapplying for GE, in order to have Global Entry for the return from the trip (and any subsequent), until Nexus works through backlog)? (Seems I have to cancel Nexus otherwise I'm not allowed to even start a GE application).

We're returning into Chicago ORD. Luckily we have a long layover, and the world won't end if I'm in a long Customs line while my wife breezes through the GE lane.

I'm currently thinking just tough it out for another 6-18 months or however long it takes for Nexus to work their way up to me.

But curious on any pros/cons I may not have considered.

-Sky
Welcome to FT. Only you can decide what is best for you. If you just want to bypass long Customs line returning to U.S., you can sign up for free Mobile Passport Control: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...tent_entity=en. Some say MPC is faster than Global Entry line. Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by karensmith
I also expire Jan 2023 and was debating when to apply my renewal.

This will be my first renewal, was this your first? I'm debating if I need an interview to apply now. 6 months like I do a passport.
Renew as soon as you can. You never know what might happen.

My expiry date was 7/2020.

There’s also no telling whether you will need an interview. Some do, some don’t, seems random.
I applied for renewal 8/2019 - eleven months out. You can go up to one year.
Conditional approval 3/2020.
Covid happened.
Interview *yesterday* 6/8/2022.
Approved today.
New expiry date is five years from original expiry date, 7/2025.
So after spending almost two years trying to renew, I’ll have to renew again in three years.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
New expiry date is five years from original expiry date, 7/2025.
So after spending almost two years trying to renew, I’ll have to renew again in three years.
Thank you for sharing. I thought new expiration date would be five years from your next birthday.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Thank you for sharing. I thought new expiration date would be five years from your next birthday.
Agreed. I was pretty much in the same boat and it’s strange that the expiration is 2025 and not 2027. (I just checked mine again on TTP to make sure I wasn’t dreaming earlier this week and it does expire 2027)
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by TechMarauder
Agreed. I was pretty much in the same boat and it’s strange that the expiration is 2025 and not 2027. (I just checked mine again on TTP to make sure I wasn’t dreaming earlier this week and it does expire 2027)
Double check expiration date once you receive your new NEXUS card.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 9:02 pm

Due to possible long wait for a full NEXUS renewal approval, anyone who renews before expiration date, his/her NEXUS membership will be valid two years from expiration date.

Once fully approved, your NEXUS membership will be valid for five years from your next birthday.
That's good to know that the card (while waiting for approval) is still valid for 2 years. However, is this stated somewhere on the website, or on the account? I have applied for renewal (still pending though), but haven't seen this verbiage on the account. Can you indicate where I may see that? Thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
I’m jealous. Maybe some bean counter figured out they were giving away two years.

Originally Posted by seapad
That's good to know that the card (while waiting for approval) is still valid for 2 years. However, is this stated somewhere on the website, or on the account? I have applied for renewal (still pending though), but haven't seen this verbiage on the account. Can you indicate where I may see that? Thanks.
Should be on your dashboard on the left side. Doesn’t say “expiration date” but it seems to actually be from expiration date.

Double check expiration date once you receive your new NEXUS card.
I will be doublechecking, I’d love to have an actual five year card.
seapad likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 12, 2022 at 9:32 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
I will be doublechecking, I’d love to have an actual five year card.
Please do let us know so we can share with other FTers. Thank you.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Please do let us know so we can share with other FTers. Thank you.
Just received my card (exactly 1 week from interview/approval) and confirm that expiration date is a full 5+ years (my birthday in 2027) I originally renewed in 2020
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:29 pm

Just received my card (exactly 1 week from interview/approval) and confirm that expiration date is a full 5+ years (my birthday in 2027) I originally renewed in 2020
Thank you for your confirmation. Too bad you did not wait until the day after your birthday for your interview. Otherwise you would get almost six full years.
TechMarauder likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Smile Nexus Renewal is in (finally)

Originally Posted by nrgiii
Negative, still waiting. I saw somewhere on here that Nexus renewal times are running 12-14 months.
nrg
Nexus renewal finally came in today!
Applied: May 10, 2021
Approved: June 15, 2022 (401 days).
New card received: June 27, 2022
No interview required.
New expiry date (Dec 2026) = previous expiry date (Dec 2021) + 5 years

nrg
sambagrrl07 likes this.

Last edited by nrgiii; Jun 27, 2022 at 6:52 pm
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by nrgiii
Nexus renewal finally came in today!
Applied: May 10, 2021
Approved: June 15, 2022 (401 days).
New card received: TBD
No interview required.
New expiry date (Dec 2026) = previous expiry date (Dec 2021) + 5 years

nrg
Check your new NEXUS card. New expiration date shall be Dec 2027, five years from Dec 2022.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.