Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Thanks. I am in HNL, so I'm trying to keep it to Blaine (already a ~3 hour drive up from Seattle) or Vancouver/Richmond. I can fly in overnight, arrive 6am, drive to Blaine (hopefully safely...not a good idea to drive for so long after no-sleep overnight flight, but...) for after 10am appointment. But can't get back home the same day, unless I could drive to YVR and fly out from there, where there are late afternoon WS and CA flights to HNL. But, no car rental company will let you rent a one-way US->Canada or vice versa (and yes I've called and asked, even with highest status with National they won't, and no one else allows so either AFAIK, I've spent hours checking - which makes no sense, US/CA land border has been normal for many months, but car rental companies are still operating as if we were amidst pandemic restrictions). So I end up wasting two days and two nights and about a $1000 for flights, car rental and hotel combined, and that's the closest. Not to mention time to recoup after that ordeal after getting back home. (Makes me wonder is it really worth it.. but the change to GE is not made easy either.)

Super helpful re: International Falls, MN and the INL airport nearby. If there is something - anything - to see and do there, so I can add a day or two of at least doing/seeing something there (vs. ~12 hours flying there and another ~12 hours flying back) and I can get flights at reasonable cost that align with appointment availability (which is rather open there indeed), that I think is probably the best option at the time. Thanks!
For Blaine, why do you need to fly into SEA? (You're right - driving from SEA to Blaine after a redeye flight is a bad idea.)

It'd be much easier to fly to/from YVR on both legs. You're already considering flying back from YVR, after all. Car rental won't be a problem: you can rental a car in YVR and drive it to Blaine, as long as you return it to YVR. If you find a Saturday / Sunday morning NEXUS appointment in Blaine, you could easily incorporate that into a weekend trip to Vancouver, which is guaranteed to be more fun than International Falls (no offense to anyone from IF).
Old May 19, 2022, 7:35 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by Bbcei
For Blaine, why do you need to fly into SEA? (You're right - driving from SEA to Blaine after a redeye flight is a bad idea.)

It'd be much easier to fly to/from YVR on both legs. You're already considering flying back from YVR, after all. Car rental won't be a problem: you can rental a car in YVR and drive it to Blaine, as long as you return it to YVR. If you find a Saturday / Sunday morning NEXUS appointment in Blaine, you could easily incorporate that into a weekend trip to Vancouver, which is guaranteed to be more fun than International Falls (no offense to anyone from IF).
Assuming one can find last minute availability and then plan for it accordingly, sure. Although YVR airport fees are high and I think overall cost will be higher adding rental car compared to SEA. I still think International Falls is the most feasible option if one wants to complete the interview this month or next.

Personally, I would not schedule a border crossing or flight on the same day as the appointment, too many variables that can cause delays these days with understaffed airport, long queue...etc
Old May 19, 2022, 10:55 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

This is an informational forum.

Posts discussing the merits of having separate Global Entry and NEXUS programs were moved to the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
DualityOfNam likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; May 19, 2022 at 11:03 am
Old May 19, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Edit: I guess that Nexus renewal interviews (where they don't need biometrics, photo or retina scan) are not going to be open up to online service, ever. Is that right?
Iris scans are a thing of the past. The Nexus kiosks in Canada work on facial recognition now. You have to scan your passport at the kiosk on first use. I don't know if they get the FR data from the scan of your passport biodata page or the photo on your Nexus card.

As long as Nexus is half the price of GE and comes with more benefits, I don't see CBP allowing online interviews. It would cannibalize GE.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
I applied for my 1st Nexus renewal back in Nov 2021. After 6 months, still "pending review."

However, we'd submitted the renewal application for my wife in April 2022 and hers got approved without interview within a week. Got her new card in the mail shortly thereafter.
Both my kids' renewals got "conditional approval" last year within a short period of time.

I know there's no one you can call/email... but do you think it would do any good to drive up to Blaine to inquire as to what's holding up my application?
I had nearly the same experience.

Wife and daughter renewed Nexus in November of 2021. They were approved 5 weeks later with no interview required.

I submitted my renewal in late December of 2021 and am still pending review as of May 2022.

I've called a few times, but the people at the enrollment centers state that the application process is a black box, and to call them if it takes longer than a year.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by advocate99
I've called a few times, but the people at the enrollment centers state that the application process is a black box, and to call them if it takes longer than a year.
That's promising. I'm coming up on the one year anniversary of my renewal application. I'm eager to hear what they have to say about it.
sambagrrl07 likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:09 pm
jix

Originally Posted by jix
If it makes you feel better, the new expiry date of the nexus card is 5-6 years from the date you renew, so at least you got 2 years of free benefits between 2020-2022.
Also, looks like precheck is given even without having to activate the new card. It appeared on my BP again 5 days after interview.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by jix
Also, looks like precheck is given even without having to activate the new card. It appeared on my BP again 5 days after interview.
Yes, they just turn that on in the background as soon as you’re approved officially.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, National EE, NEXUS, Global Entry
Canadian citizen, Jan 2023 expiry

Applied: 2022/04/19
Approved: 2022/04/24

35 days! Fastest renewal yet. No interview required.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by jmbjmbjmb
Canadian citizen, Jan 2023 expiry

Applied: 2022/04/19
Approved: 2022/04/24

35 days! Fastest renewal yet. No interview required.
Sorry, how is that 35 days? Did you mean you applied March 19th?
sambagrrl07 likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nrgiii
Me too, stuck in Pending Review since May 10,2021.
I would ignore the info in the auto-emails. I was still getting those after I applied to renew, warning me my Nexus was about to expire (duh).
When I login in to TTP I still see the 730 message:

nrg
nrgiii , have you heard anything since it’s now been over a year?
Old May 25, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by sambagrrl07
nrgiii , have you heard anything since it’s now been over a year?
Negative, still waiting. I saw somewhere on here that Nexus renewal times are running 12-14 months.

nrg
sambagrrl07 likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
I called the Detroit office yesterday to ask about Zoom appointments for renewal (my renewal was approved a year ago, waiting on an interview). She said they will not be doing online appointments for Nexus, would have to be in person. The Detroit office has plenty of availability in June and July, so I booked an appointment for July. I'll probably drive from Chicago, as airfare is pretty high.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by nrgiii
Negative, still waiting. I saw somewhere on here that Nexus renewal times are running 12-14 months.

nrg
I think I saw it when I originally applied that benefits are extended for 24 months from the date of renewal. It has almost been 12 months for me so I'm banking that I can retain the benefits. Has anyone come across having to fill out the expiration date of their Nexus card when checking in? I have been entering 24 months from the renewal application date and seems to work. But feels like that is wrong to do. But when filling out the original expiration date, it rejects.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:27 am
jix

Originally Posted by PaulS86
I think I saw it when I originally applied that benefits are extended for 24 months from the date of renewal. It has almost been 12 months for me so I'm banking that I can retain the benefits. Has anyone come across having to fill out the expiration date of their Nexus card when checking in? I have been entering 24 months from the renewal application date and seems to work. But feels like that is wrong to do. But when filling out the original expiration date, it rejects.
You're trying to use Nexus as a travel document and I think the airline system is rejecting based on expired date, which is fair/correct.

To check in, use passport instead of Nexus, and just add KTN number as it's a separate field to get PreCheck benefit.
nrgiii and PaulS86 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.