Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by ishydee
Renewal submitted April 5th, expired April 21st. Late renewal I know but it's now June 21st and still waiting. Like everyone else, my last renewal was just a few weeks. Totally starting to worry.
Don't even start worrying until September....
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:54 am

Approved

Applied: April 13 2019
Approved: July 2 2019
1st Renewal (had lapsed for many years)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Staceyy
Applied: April 13 2019
Approved: July 2 2019
1st Renewal (had lapsed for many years)
If lapsed for may years, it is still considered as a renewal or a new application?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:13 pm

I applied for my nexus renewal card on April 3rd 2019 and was approved today July 3rd. No interview needed.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Chase, Amex, SWA, UAL, DAL
Ditto, I applied for renewal on 4/15 and am still "pending review" today. That said, I did gain US citizenship (I'm a US/Canadian dual national now), so that's probably part of what's going on. My wife had her renewal in like 2 or 3 weeks with no interview needed, but she had no citizenship changes.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
If lapsed for may years, it is still considered as a renewal or a new application?
It was still considered a renewal

Originally Posted by zedkyuu
Ditto, I applied for renewal on 4/15 and am still "pending review" today. That said, I did gain US citizenship (I'm a US/Canadian dual national now), so that's probably part of what's going on. My wife had her renewal in like 2 or 3 weeks with no interview needed, but she had no citizenship changes.
I'm not sure how much this affects it (change in citizenship). I became a US permanent resident since applying for Nexus the first time in 2008. I didn't even live in the US last time I applied. I am technically a Canadian citizen with US permanent residency.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 8, 2019 at 6:58 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Today I activated my renewal NEXUS card after applying in November 2018. My 3rd renewal. Not sure what happened, but all steps were completed but people didn't "push the button" to move it forward. That and government shutdown.

My understanding of workflow if you apply online, is it's US approval > Canadian approval > (interview) > US card issuance.

When trying to troubleshoot, had 3 channels
  • Calling an Canadian NEXUS office was helpful when the papers were stuck in the Canadian queue (tip: call first hour of shift, last hour of shift, or during lunch).
  • Calling an US NEXUS was less helpful when the papers were stuck in the US side (same calling tip)
  • "filing a complaint" and selecting "request a response" at https://help.cbp.gov/ unlocked it. This took 7 weeks from my first submission to the card being approved; the website states "wait times for resolution is 3-4 weeks".
As a result, I've added a calendar reminder 4 years from now to re-apply exactly 1 year before expiry.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
Applied for first NEXUS renewal on May 14, received approval on July 17 with interview required. Scheduled an appointment online right away for September at YYZ but happened to be near YYZ on July 18 so I attempted a walk in interview in mid afternoon. I was told I would have to wait until all the people with appointments were interviewed but I was welcome to try. I only had to wait 40 minutes. They conducted my interview, got my picture and prints updated, and I was done. No iris scan needed.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by MsAssertive
Applied for first NEXUS renewal on May 14, received approval on July 17 with interview required. Scheduled an appointment online right away for September at YYZ but happened to be near YYZ on July 18 so I attempted a walk in interview in mid afternoon. I was told I would have to wait until all the people with appointments were interviewed but I was welcome to try. I only had to wait 40 minutes. They conducted my interview, got my picture and prints updated, and I was done. No iris scan needed.
Yes, you are not REQUIRED to get an iris scan to gain Nexus membership. However, in order to USE Nexus for expedited entry INTO Canada - by air - an iris scan must be on file with your Nexus membership. If your use of Nexus does not involve entering Canada by air, there is no need to get an iris scan as you'll never use it.

Since an iris does not change, you don't need to update an iris picture at renewal if an iris picture is already on file with your Nexus profile.

A Nexus member who wishes to add an iris scan to their Nexus profile can do so at any time without an appointment at any Nexus enrollment center that captures iris scans.

Here's a list of Nexus enrollment centers (click on both the Land and the Airport tabs):

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nex...ation-eng.html

As you'll see, all of the airport interview locations will take iris photographs, and a couple of the land locations will as well.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:58 pm

Still waiting; applied April 15 for renewal, still pending conditional approval.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
This is a dumb and redundant question, but since everyone is saying they're waiting for conditional approval, does that mean we have to do the interviews again for a NEXUS renewal?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Nayef
This is a dumb and redundant question, but since everyone is saying they're waiting for conditional approval, does that mean we have to do the interviews again for a NEXUS renewal?
When you submit a renewal application, there are three possible outcomes. 1) Conditional Approval, interview required, 2) Approval, and 3) Rejection.

Outcome 3) is highly unlikely - if something adverse were to occur in a member's record, it is likely that program membership would have already been cancelled.

Outcomes 1) and 2) are the likely result of a renewal application, however, while waiting, one cannot tell whether the result will be "Conditional Approval" or simply "Approval". Since "everyone" waits after submitting a renewal application, it is usual to say "waiting for conditional approval".
shuuy and Nayef like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:53 am

Finally got conditional approval today. However, the scheduler link is broken. Argh.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Nayef
Waiting conditional approval means that your application for renewal has passed through and been accepted the initial US and Canada processes; however your file needs further approval in "Washington". I submitted renewal for wife and me in May, wife has her new card and my approval is waiting in the queue in Washington. For me I know the reason why my approval would be held up in Washington, the trick will be getting the approval because of the Southern Border situation. I have heard that USCBP has dispatched workers from nonessential functions to the Southern Border.

The question I have my expiry is August 6th and I fly out of BWI on August 8th, what till happen to my TSA Precheck privileges?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Doesn't NEXUS continue on for 6 months after expiration while the renewal is pending? I don't know if that grace period extends to Precheck privileges or not, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.