Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2022, 6:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wise Chaldean
Not convinced. rustykettel's Oct. 31 post suggests that enrollment centers are involved in Nexus renewal decisions. Lights on/off at an enrollment center -- so what? This kind of work can be done remotely, including by CBP officers in the States. Let's post whatever potentially illuminating data we have.
That’s exactly my point all along…. The decision is not done in the enrollment centre. It’s done offsite/remotely away (at processing center as described in CBSA documentation).

I just posted pictures of YUL enrollment centre this week in the Canadian enrollment centre are closed thread. It turned into a foreign student welcome centre.

YUL is small office with about 6-7 desks. Very inefficient to take 1/3 interview capacity out when the renewal decision can be done anywhere as you indicated.

Last edited by seawolf; Nov 17, 2022 at 7:44 pm
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:56 am

My nexus expires in March 2023. The last time I renewed back in 2018 there was no interview required.

Renewed in October 2022, currently in Pending Review. I wonder if I will be called up for an interview this time around.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 10:50 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Nayef
Well, this is wild.

I applied for renewal in summer 2021 a year before expiration, and I submitted the renewal as a US LPR (citizenship application pending at the time) and I got a conditional approval last June (2022).

Now today I got an email with a status update and logged in to see see that my application has been approved. New expiration date is summer 2027.

While this is an unexpected development, I have no idea if the Canadians have my updated US citizenship info (I assumed they do if they've suddenly approved me, unless I found some weird loophole where they approved me while they still think I'm on a green card), as the TTP dashboard still shows my same old info, even my old DL from my previous state of residence and I'm certain I put in my CO DL info during the renewal application.

This also means that my trip to Vancouver (to go to Blaine for an interview) is absolutely moot at this point.

I also hope I can receive my new card before I need to travel on Dec. 1. I've been seeing people here saying their card deliveries have been delayed.
Card arrived in the mail today Nov. 18, 2022. Card now says US citizen.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Glad I found this thread, we are having somewhat inconsistent results based on ages. Family of 5 renewing in 2021 and both adults went to conditionally approved shortly after renewal submitted (prior to expiration) and then about 11 months later to "approved." Our daughter, turned 12 on expiration, went to conditional approved after submitting renewal but has never gone to approved and so I presume needs an appointment. Yeah, right, how do we even do that, they are never available? Asked the CBP information line and they told us they have extended privileges for 5 years, so she should be good through birthday 2026.

The real problem is our 2 younger boys. Both renewals were submitted prior to expiration and turned to "expired" and "pending review" on their birthdays in 2021. One of the boys saw his application turn to "Conditional Approval" about a month after his birthday in 2021, but again he shows expired. And again, not a chance in hell of getting an appointment. But the other one, also submitted renewal prior to his birthday in Nov 2021 still shows "pending review" after over a year! I have emailed CBP and get a prefab FAQ that doesnt answer my question, which is why in the heck is this one still pending review?

So 3 questions:
(1) why did the 2 younger ones not get grandfathered benefits? (their statuses both show expired)
(2) why is one of the boys applications still showing pending review over a year after submission??
(3) for the 2 kids who are conditionally approved, only one still has benefits, and I would like to get the other one an interview. We are crossing Blaine in December, can I just drop in there and try to get the one who expired but is now conditionally approved processed? Or are these places just not doing any interviews?

Maybe we give up on NEXUS and try GE for the boys, but that is just back in another queue again. Super annoying to have 2 pax who make us all go through the normal line when reentering the US.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:06 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Update:

I renewed my Nexus in June 2021 and received a conditional approval. I've been waiting for interview slots to become available, relying on the 2-year validity extension in the meantime.

Today, I just received a notice that my renewal application is now fully approved, and valid until June 2026. No more interview needed.
I have not yet received my new membership card. Curious how long from approval others have had to wait for theirs to arrive?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:11 am

I applied for my Nexus renewal in June 2021 and got the 'conditional approval' awaiting the interview.

On November 8, 2022, I received notification that my application had been approved. The notice indicated it came from the Winnipeg Enrollment Center (where my original application interview in 2016 took place).

I have not yet received the new membership card and am wondering how long others in this thread had to wait between approval and receipt? Thank you.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by stephem
Glad I found this thread, we are having somewhat inconsistent results based on ages. Family of 5 renewing in 2021 and both adults went to conditionally approved shortly after renewal submitted (prior to expiration) and then about 11 months later to "approved." Our daughter, turned 12 on expiration, went to conditional approved after submitting renewal but has never gone to approved and so I presume needs an appointment. Yeah, right, how do we even do that, they are never available? Asked the CBP information line and they told us they have extended privileges for 5 years, so she should be good through birthday 2026.

The real problem is our 2 younger boys. Both renewals were submitted prior to expiration and turned to "expired" and "pending review" on their birthdays in 2021. One of the boys saw his application turn to "Conditional Approval" about a month after his birthday in 2021, but again he shows expired. And again, not a chance in hell of getting an appointment. But the other one, also submitted renewal prior to his birthday in Nov 2021 still shows "pending review" after over a year! I have emailed CBP and get a prefab FAQ that doesnt answer my question, which is why in the heck is this one still pending review?

So 3 questions:
(1) why did the 2 younger ones not get grandfathered benefits? (their statuses both show expired)
(2) why is one of the boys applications still showing pending review over a year after submission??
(3) for the 2 kids who are conditionally approved, only one still has benefits, and I would like to get the other one an interview. We are crossing Blaine in December, can I just drop in there and try to get the one who expired but is now conditionally approved processed? Or are these places just not doing any interviews?

Maybe we give up on NEXUS and try GE for the boys, but that is just back in another queue again. Super annoying to have 2 pax who make us all go through the normal line when reentering the US.
Blaime is doing interviews, but not sure they will take walkins for the interview. Spots open up throughout the day online but here is the trick. You need to log on and refesh availability many many times. Usually, its aroind 9 am and 4 pm when appts become availalble I found. With more applicants going to approval without an interview, hope more appointments become available. There is also a twitter bot (@nexusbot_blaine) that shows open appointments, but by the time one logs in the appointments are gone I found. Good luck.
stephem likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Thanks, looks like checking at 5am is pretty useful too. Nothing that works for us but will keep looking.

Anyone else with the odd experience of under 12 year olds expiring out of NEXUS even where renewal was submitted prior to expiration?! This is the part I cannot grok and we would have moved then to GE if we had known this would happen.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stephem
Thanks, looks like checking at 5am is pretty useful too. Nothing that works for us but will keep looking.

Anyone else with the odd experience of under 12 year olds expiring out of NEXUS even where renewal was submitted prior to expiration?! This is the part I cannot grok and we would have moved then to GE if we had known this would happen.
My 7yo was conditionally approved last year for renewal (I think original expiration was her 2021 birthday, in Feb.) and she used it no problems as recently as Sept. - both into Canada and back into the US using GE.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:03 am

I have not yet received my new membership card. Curious how long from approval others have had to wait for theirs to arrive?
In September, 12 days for mine and 14 for my wife's.

More datapoints in this thread: Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Rare
In September, 12 days for mine and 14 for my wife's.

More datapoints in this thread: Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines
Thank you! Guess I should expect it any day now...
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold. AC 35K *S, UA *S
Talking Approval received!

Got my approval this morning on my renewal, no interview required.
Eight months and a week from submission to approval email/portal update. My current card is still good until February 2023, so don't need to worry about not receiving it before going this week to Vegas for AWS's conference.

Originally Posted by djopel00
I did my renewal March 15, 2022....still in Pending Review.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:17 am

Well that's strange. Submitted renewal a year before expiry, got conditionally approved in May 2022 - interview required. Could not get an interview in Blaine for a long time, but finally was able to schedule interview in Blaine for March 2023. A couple of week after that, received a final approval by email. So no interview required after all? Approval letter said it came from Blaine. Same for my wife. No new cards yet.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:46 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Applied for renewal in Dec 2021, got conditional approval in about a month. I checked for interviews in Blaine every two or three weeks, nothing available. A friend’s wife had been waiting for an interview since sometime in 2020. Last month she got a letter saying she was approved, card is in the mail. So I logged in to check my status - no change in status but suddenly appointments are available in Blaine. Had my interview today, received approval an hour later.

The guy said they sometimes take walk-ins if they’re not busy and you’re prepared to wait a couple of hours, but it sounded like a bit of a crap shoot.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Thank you! Guess I should expect it any day now...
My wife's card arrived in about two weeks. Received it last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.