Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEXUS Revocations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr_a
I am appalled. Today I received reply from CBP Ombudsman about my appeal to my Nexus revocation and here is what they have replied back with which seems like a generic reply to everyone who appeals :
While I am not in the slightest surprised they really need to provide a means of figuring out what the problem is as otherwise one would have no way of identifying incorrect information that causes an improper denial.

As it stands now they can invent reasons that aren't in the rules which is what I strongly suspect happened to you. (Namely, prior citizenship from a terrorist country.)
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:31 am

Sorry for interfering with the serious thread, but some reasons for revocation in that huge PDF file are hilarious... Some CBP officer had a lot of patience to carefully type this in...

<deleted by moderator>
dgreen12 and Xyzzy like this.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 5, 2018 at 3:35 pm Reason: Redacted image of document containing vulgarities
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ikko1
Sorry for interfering with the serious thread, but some reasons for revocation in that huge PDF file are hilarious... Some CBP officer had a lot of patience to carefully type this in...

<deleted by moderator>
And they have a long memory too.
Check this one out:

Upon further review of your criminal history, your 1950 arrest places you outside of the program eligibility requirements.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 5, 2018 at 3:34 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Data point............

My NEXUS (the Canadian GE equivalent administered by the US) was just renewed without issue.

Last year I had a personally imported high value (5 figures) item from the US seized and the declared value re-assessed by Canada Customs. I paid the penalties and fees and appealed the calculation of assessment thru the available government channels, but lost. My lawyer says had I gone to court I would have won......but I'm not spending $5K of non-recoverable legal fees to get $3K of taxes and duties back. Was worried they'd refuse to renew my NEXUS, but I guess not.

YMMV.................

Last edited by KDS777; Feb 24, 2018 at 11:34 pm
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS777
Data point............

My NEXUS (the Canadian GE equivalent adminisered by the US) was just renewed without issue.

Last year I had a personally imported high value (5 figures) item from the US seized and the declared value re-assessed by Canada Customs. I paid the penalties and fees and appealed the calculation of assessment thru the available government channels, but lost. My lawyer says had I gone to court I would have won......but I'm not spending $5K of non-recoverable legal fees to get $3K of taxes and duties back. Was worried they'd refuse to renew my NEXUS, but I guess not.

YMMV.................
Sounds like they disagreed about the value rather than saying you smuggled something.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Sounds like they disagreed about the value rather than saying you smuggled something.
That's correct. But it's a technical customs infraction as well.......thus my speculation I might not get renewed.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by KDS777
That's correct. But it's a technical customs infraction as well.......thus my speculation I might not get renewed.
Which might have made it worth going to court over, since if you won you clearly didn't commit an infraction.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by sethb
Which might have made it worth going to court over, since if you won you clearly didn't commit an infraction.
I think it would be tough to prove an infraction for properly declaring a high value item, but merely incorrectly providing its value, absent a willfully incorrect valuation (e.g., you bought for $15k but declared $12k).
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:58 am

Not Global Entry, but NEXUS - if I bring food (read: cookies and candy) from overseas (read: Asia) back to Canada, should I use the NEXUS kiosks at YVR or the regular ones? And do candy/cookies have to be declared on the kiosk? I don't want to lose my NEXUS so I want to be safe.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:53 am

Drewguy.......

In my case there was a trade-in involved which according to the clear wording of the act allowed me to reduce the taxable component of the price accordingly.

Problem is, if the local CBSA interprets it one way, and they can make up stuff as they go along, then there is really nothing you can do, but sue, as their appeals process IMHO is pointless.

Let's see if I start getting popped for secondary now when coming home.

Last edited by KDS777; Feb 27, 2018 at 11:10 am
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by briguychau
Not Global Entry, but NEXUS - if I bring food (read: cookies and candy) from overseas (read: Asia) back to Canada, should I use the NEXUS kiosks at YVR or the regular ones? And do candy/cookies have to be declared on the kiosk? I don't want to lose my NEXUS so I want to be safe.
The last time I entered I read this question a bit more carefully because I was curious (did not have food) on the kiosk. The Nexus terminal had specific foods they wanted declared (fruit, vegetables, meat, seeds etc seemed to be listed) and cookies and candies were not on the list. However, on the web site : https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nex...erien-eng.html they note that food should be declared and not to use the Nexus terminals if you have anything prohibited / controlled or commercial goods.

So - technically according to the web site you should use the regular line, but I have declared food before in the nexus line which was not prohibited and there was no problem. Your call.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The word food is on NEXUS kiosk. Used it earlier this week.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:43 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

For indexing and future search purposes, please discuss Global Entry kiosks food declaration requirements in the following thread:
Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 17, 2018, 2:43 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
OP you are not alone in this. I got a seizure receipt for a high $ value "Canadian" item that CBSA was convinced I was trying to smuggle in wearing on my wrist. Ofcourse, they didn't trust the warranty card that clearly was stamped by an Ontario based jeweler who sold it. So while I dispute this in recourse, Nexus is gone.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:29 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
I just entered at YUL and the kiosk said "food" so I checked Yes due to a bag of snack mix from the flight up. That got me sent to secondary, where the officer asked what I'd declared and I said "food - snack mix from the flight". She said that was okay and I replied "the NEXUS kiosk said food and I don't want to lose NEXUS so I declared it". "Good idea" was her reply.

I wasted a bit of time in secondary, but wound up catching the same bus I would have....
ramosc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.