Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEXUS Revocations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I think you've already indicated why your Nexus membership was pulled. Until we get more sane government I don't think you have a chance.
I will vote for whoever that runs on firing these CBP/DHS people and replacing with more sane ones too.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Huh? How do they get to reassess a transaction they weren't a party to? Are they saying the sale price was a sham, that you colluded with whoever you bought it from to underprice it?
I successfully fought CBSA on this a couple times about fifteen years ago as they arbitrarily decided that a replacement media kit worth $0.00 was worth the retail value of the software and on another occasion when they decided they would treat a Compaq box used as a shipping box as though it were the contents which was a Sharp product.

After that I just always had things shipped to me in the US.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xero9

I realize that now. While no excuse, sleep deprivation played a roll. I told the CBSA office as soon as I walked up so it really comes down to whether or not I could amend verbally when we arrived.

Lesson learned I suppose.
Yeah. I've given some stupid answers to the immigration people because it's the middle of the night by our clocks.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
NEXUS kiosk has word food in it.

My rule of thumb is if you have to ask whether something should be declared, you should declare it.

E311 states:
Meat, fish, seafood, eggs, dairy products, fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, plants, flowers, wood, animals, birds, insects, and any parts, products or by-products of any of the foregoing.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:44 am

I thought NEXUS members don't have to fill out the customs declaration form anymore?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by freeflyer
I thought NEXUS members don't have to fill out the customs declaration form anymore?
You don't but my guess is OP was travelling with child with no iris scan.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by xero9
I do apologize if this is the wrong spot to post this. I thought about posting in the NEXUS thread, but it’s more of a CBSA issue.

So we just came back from a trip to the US and while in the air I filled out the declaration form. I ticked off ‘no’ to everything and put the amount purchased under my name and left the value for my wife and child blank.

Upon walking through the airport my wife pointed out that maybe the jam we bought might be considered fruit. We went to the NEXUS line and bypassed the kiosk and went to the lady manning the counter.
Do your wife and child also have Nexus? If not you shouldn't have used the Nexus line.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:52 am

<deleted>

To answer some questions.. We did not use the kiosk because our child doesn't have iris/fingerprints on file. All three of us have NEXUS though, otherwise I'm positive I would have lost it for sure (rightfully so in that case).

Originally Posted by seawolf
NEXUS kiosk has word food in it.

My rule of thumb is if you have to ask whether something should be declared, you should declare it.

E311 states:
Fair enough, but it's not like I waited until I got caught or at the very last moment. I said to her "Good morning.. By the way, I did put no to food, but we do have a jar of jam so I'm not sure if that needs to be changed".

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 3, 2018 at 9:34 am Reason: FT Rule 18 - Discussion of Moderator Actions
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
I am in interested in the original poster's predicament. What was he supposed to have done while in the boat? Was he supposed to have called the Border Patrol and requested emergency landing rights? Should he have simply called 911 and asked for assistance and identified himself as a Canadian national? Given the claim that the return journey was dangerous I'm thinking maybe the 911 call would have been a good idea?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jonsail
I am in interested in the original poster's predicament. What was he supposed to have done while in the boat? Was he supposed to have called the Border Patrol and requested emergency landing rights? Should he have simply called 911 and asked for assistance and identified himself as a Canadian national? Given the claim that the return journey was dangerous I'm thinking maybe the 911 call would have been a good idea?
There is a process for boats from Canada that land in the U.S. whether for emergencies or otherwise.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-...private-flyers

The first thing to be done if you land is to call.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: EY
Didn't OP say the CBP was waiting at the dock, guns drawn? Couldn't call until that point presumably.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xobile
Didn't OP say the CBP was waiting at the dock, guns drawn? Couldn't call until that point presumably.
You contact them before you land. If the OP's situation was that dire he could have issued a distress call.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by MachoPichu
You're welcome.

It sounds like you will be pursuing all three steps at the same time, which is a good idea.

Your MP might play a small role, like by sending a letter on your behalf or holding a press conference or such. Likewise, the CCLA might attempt to put pressure on Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale to demand a joint investigation into NEXUS revocations (although Goodale has been very resistant to criticizing American border actions vis-a-vis Canadians in general).

The ADC has fairly limited reach. Occasionally they can draw some attention to a situation affecting their community. They also do not have many in-house attorneys or large outside law firms available to pursue litigation.

I think that any real opportunity to win back NEXUS is through the ACLU. Because they already have ongoing litigation against the travel ban and CBP actions based on the travel ban, they may be looking for test plaintiffs who were affected in this unique way (loss of Global Entry/NEXUS). This is especially likely because the were the ones who FOIA'd the list of GE/NEXUS revocations.

Even to the extent that NEXUS membership may be a 'privilege', and even as a Canadian citizen, under U.S. law, you gain certain vested rights as a TTP member and are entitled to procedural fairness before those rights can be withdrawn. In addition, if these revocations were made on the basis of suspect classifications like race, national origin, or religion, they must meet certain highly demanding tests that the courts almost invariably find have not been met. But you should contact the ACLU as soon as you can, as there are time limits in which to take action.
Just an update that I reached out to ACLU but they advised that because of resource constraints and substantive legal barriers, they are unfortunately not in a position to provide assistance.

I have sent an email to CCLA but have not heard back from them yet.

I am drafting up my communication with local MP Salma Zahid and also possibly with MP Jenny Kwan to keep it short and effective.

It is frustrating to see that none of the officials are willing to help . I will keep trying though.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by mr_a
Just an update that I reached out to ACLU but they advised that because of resource constraints and substantive legal barriers, they are unfortunately not in a position to provide assistance.

I have sent an email to CCLA but have not heard back from them yet.

I am drafting up my communication with local MP Salma Zahid and also possibly with MP Jenny Kwan to keep it short and effective.

It is frustrating to see that none of the officials are willing to help . I will keep trying though.
So emails and letters to MPs sent. Let the waiting game begin!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:47 pm

I am appalled. Today I received reply from CBP Ombudsman about my appeal to my Nexus revocation and here is what they have replied back with which seems like a generic reply to everyone who appeals :

Sent: January 30, 2018 11:14 AM
To: MYNAME
Subject: RE: Request to reinstate revoked Nexus membership #MYMEMBERSHIP due to inaccurate information

Thank you for your correspondence requesting reconsideration for your Trusted Traveler membership. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has completed a review of this matter. Please allow me to outline our findings.

Participation in CBP Trusted Traveler Programs is voluntary and is available to persons who pass a comprehensive background check. Applicants will not qualify for participation if they:
  • provide false or incomplete information on the application;
  • have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges to include outstanding warrants;
  • have been found in violation of any Customs, Immigration, or Agriculture regulations or laws in any country;
  • are subjects of an investigation by any Federal, State, or local law enforcement agency;
  • are inadmissible to the United States under Immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation; or
  • cannot satisfy CBP that all eligibility requirements are met.
CBP has determined that you do not meet the eligibility requirements for a Trusted Traveler Program for the reasons originally provided to you on your revocation notification letter. If your revocation was based on a criminal conviction, customs, agriculture or immigration violation, the revocation remains unchanged because you did not provide sufficient evidence that CBP used incorrect or erroneous information to make the original revocation determination.

If you were revoked because you cannot satisfy CBP that all eligibility requirements are met, the decision stands. CBP may use information from other agencies when making eligibility decisions and is prohibited from releasing other agency information.

Applicants who do not qualify for participation are not prohibited from entering the United States. However, they are not permitted to use a Trusted Traveler dedicated lane to do so.

Thank you for your interest in the CBP Trusted Traveler Programs.

Regards,

CBP Ombudsman
Trusted Traveler Programs
/lg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.