Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS / Global Entry - How to Update Passport Information?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEXUS / Global Entry - How to Update Passport Information?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
New Passport, what about Global and TSA Pre?

I am renewing my passport so I presume I have to do something about my Global Entry and TSA Pre Check. How do I handle the new passport and these services? Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You log into your global entry account and update it with your new passport info.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
You do not have to go for a new interview? Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I am renewing my passport so I presume I have to do something about my Global Entry and TSA Pre Check. How do I handle the new passport and these services? Thanks
Do you have both Global Entry and TSA PreCheck as two separate programs? Or do you only have Global Entry with TSA PreCheck privilege?
If you only have Global Entry, once you receive your new passport, after one month from receipt, you should be able to change your passport information online. If you have difficulty, you can change your passport information at any Global Entry enrollment center as a walk in without an appointment.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I just went into my Trusted Traveler profile (I only have GE, no other programs) to update my passport as I had to renew so I would have 6 months availability for an upcoming trip.

I found that both mu recent passport renewal (about 60 days previous) was reflected in my profile. Also my most recent drivers license (October 2021) renewal was also reflected in my profile.

Is this something brand new? I did a cursory scan of this thread before posting and didn't see any reference to automatic updates.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:13 pm

Updating Passport

My partner just had his Nexus interview (first time getting Nexus) and the officer told him that because his passport expires before his Nexus card that he'll have to come back to the office when he updates his passport.

I've been a Nexus holder for a long time and the website seems to say that passport information can be updated online, so I'm pretty sure the officer was incorrect. But just thought I'd check to see if this was something new. The officer claimed it was because the passport + fingerprints were tied together and so machines at the airport wouldn't work with a new passport.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Joeyjo
My partner just had his Nexus interview (first time getting Nexus) and the officer told him that because his passport expires before his Nexus card that he'll have to come back to the office when he updates his passport.

I've been a Nexus holder for a long time and the website seems to say that passport information can be updated online, so I'm pretty sure the officer was incorrect. But just thought I'd check to see if this was something new. The officer claimed it was because the passport + fingerprints were tied together and so machines at the airport wouldn't work with a new passport.
nothing new, this debate and confusion has been going on as long as Nexus has existed.

basically, US will tell you it can be updated online. Canadians will say you need to do it in person.

my interpretation, and I think there’s been speculation on here about it, is that updating online will update the US system, since the site is indeed US, but privacy laws may impede sharing it with Canada. Or there is some incompatibility so the Canadians don’t get the updates.

Either way, I’m in the better safe than sorry camp, and I will update online as soon as I get a new passport, then go into a Nexus office as soon as I’m near one to update it in person there. Whether or not I could get by without the latter step, to me is irrelevant - because either way, for sure I don’t have to worry about it - and costs me maybe 10 minutes of my life to do it.
SPN Lifer and birdy24 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 10:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I was told to come to the office for passport updates. The officer was very clear. I’ve done “updates” numerous times over the years. No appointment needed. Very easy.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 11:22 pm

While it might be easy and fast to update in person, for many of us it’s not that easy to get to an office. Particularly with many of the Canadian offices closed.

Anyway, not a big deal since it only happens every 10 years. But I’m inclined to do it online and then see if it’s a problem. Seems like the worst case is that it just doesn’t work and you need to use a passport / or go in another line.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:33 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by emcampbe
nothing new, this debate and confusion has been going on as long as Nexus has existed.

basically, US will tell you it can be updated online. Canadians will say you need to do it in person.

my interpretation, and I think there’s been speculation on here about it, is that updating online will update the US system, since the site is indeed US, but privacy laws may impede sharing it with Canada. Or there is some incompatibility so the Canadians don’t get the updates.

Either way, I’m in the better safe than sorry camp, and I will update online as soon as I get a new passport, then go into a Nexus office as soon as I’m near one to update it in person there. Whether or not I could get by without the latter step, to me is irrelevant - because either way, for sure I don’t have to worry about it - and costs me maybe 10 minutes of my life to do it.
Maybe it was more ambiguous from the Canadian side before, but the CBSA website at least now clearly states that an update on the TTP sufficient for CBSA.

Update your residential address and passport information

You do not have to go to an enrolment centre to update this information with the CBSA, unless it might affect your eligibility for NEXUS membership.

If these updates will not affect your eligibility, change your residential address and passport information on file using the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System operated by U.S. Customs Border Protection.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...ajour-eng.html

Also on a side note I wonder what updates one can give that may affect eligibility for an existing member. Perhaps an existing Canadian citizen member becoming a US permanent resident or a U.S. LPR becoming a Canadian visa holder, but those are perhaps more ‘changes in information’ vs things that might affect eligibility.

Last edited by xobile; Mar 12, 2023 at 8:10 am
Old Mar 12, 2023, 7:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Last passport I presented to CBSA at a NEXUS enrollment centre was in 2016 which expired in 2017. Since 2017 I've used NEXUS Air/Land more than two dozen times without issues with just updating online (updated once with a 1-year US limited validity passport followed by a second update involving a 10-year regular US passport.).

Counterpoint speculation is that while CBSA officer at NEXUS interview centre is probably correct in that the interview centre don’t get the update…the enrollment centre does not need the updated information; only the primarily/secondary inspection does and speculating they use different system/level of access. For example; as per CBSA documentation, secondary has access to criminal databases while primary does not.

So I would say all that has to be done is to follow the published CBSA online guidance to update expired passport online (eg no change in citizenship).
Joeyjo likes this.

Last edited by seawolf; Mar 15, 2023 at 2:25 pm
Old Mar 12, 2023, 8:27 am

My wife and I entered Canada by air at YVR two weeks ago: for me, first entry in almost three years; for her, first entry by air since getting Nexus (four years ago) and with a new passport since then. For me, tapped my card at kiosk, took my picture, and that was it; for her, after tapping card, it wanted to scan her passport. And then printed the slip and we were on our way with just a cursory glance at the slip by both the Immigration and Customs inspectors and just a "where are you headed?" question by the Immigration inspector.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:26 pm

I was just chatting about this again and he said it was the US agent that specified it needed to be done in the office.

It’s funny how something as basic as updating passport info doesn’t have a clear process.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 4:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Joeyjo
I was just chatting about this again and he said it was the US agent that specified it needed to be done in the office.

It’s funny how something as basic as updating passport info doesn’t have a clear process.
IMO the update process is very clearly defined on CBSA/CBP webpages. The confusion is really just with the officers working at the enrollment centres.
SPN Lifer, Rare and birdy24 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 3:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Any recent experiences with passport update notification? The wiki says you only need to update it on the TTS web site, and references this text on the CBSA site:

Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
However the current CBSA site states:
If you have updated your contact information in your TTP dashboard, you must contact the CBSA to have this information updated in our systems.

Passport and citizenship updates as well as a change in residency that could affect your eligibility for NEXUS must be made in person, by visiting an enrolment centre.
​​​​​​​Seems ridiculous that they need people to come in to do this given how backlogged everything is.
CorSter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.